Join Early Retirement Today

Does a Man's Salary Matter?
Old 08-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Does a Man's Salary Matter?

Of course not, if he is the only man alive. Otherwise, the consensus seems to be "yes".

Does a man?s salary matter?

I believe that if a single guy hasn't much money, or doesn't like to show or spend his money, he needs some special talents that appeal to women. Otherwise, he might find himself lonesome for feminine companionship. IMO this is a major reason not to abandon a good career too quickly.

To a lesser extent the same goes for married guys. Women do like to sleep with power, and power is most easily exerted with money. This is no more difficult to understand than the uncomfortable but undeniable fact that men like to sleep with youth and beauty.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I believe that if a single guy hasn't much money, or doesn't like to show or spend his money, he needs some special talents that appeal to women...
Of course! Now, let's enumerate the talents that would come in handy...

Ah, what do I care? I am spoken for.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Of course not, if he is the only man alive. Otherwise, the consensus seems to be "yes".

I believe that if a single guy hasn't much money, or doesn't like to show or spend his money, he needs some special talents that appeal to women. Otherwise, he might find himself lonesome for feminine companionship. IMO this is a major reason not to abandon a good career too quickly.
Oh yeah...I grabbed my sugar daddy up 34 years ago...'cause he was makin' 35 cents more an hour that yours truly...
Quote:
To a lesser extent the same goes for married guys. Women do like to sleep with power, and power is most easily exerted with money. This is no more difficult to understand than the uncomfortable but undeniable fact that men like to sleep with youth and beauty.

Ha
Well, I'm a woman and I suppose I like sleeping with power, but it's in a totally different vein..

Sure youth and beauty comes into play but when times get tough one can do this ----->
Old 08-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Any anthropologist will tell you that what men and women are looking for in a partner is different. Men are looking for external signals of fertility and women are looking for external signals of ability to provide (while DW is busy raising the kids).

Now all that may be old hat in today's society, but it does enter the equation. Sophisticated girls look beyond the sportscar and find out the guy's debt level and net worth.

I once worked with a secretary who divorced her first spouse based on his debt level and non-LBYM habits. She was much more selective in choosing her next partner and is now well on track to FIRE.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if, in this era of extreme job insecurity and retirement insecurity, there may be more emphasis on lifelong security than on current raw earning power.

At some point I could see a $100K income with weak benefits and low job security becoming less attractive to a potential mate than a $60K job with rock solid job security and full benefits including a pension. I don't think most 20-somethings are that sophisticated yet, but if the current mess continues for a few more years that could change. (Of course, so too could their benefits package, but still...)
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
When asked why she is married to Roger Rabbit, Jessica replies, "He makes me laugh".
Old 08-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

No,but his pension ,savings and SS still matter and if he drive at night it's a big plus !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm glad I got married when I was young and empty-headed. Some might say today that I am still the latter but in any case the thing that appealed to me most about my husband-to-be was that he seemed to be my exact opposite in many respects: lively, energetic, optimistic, kind of a "take charge" person where I am retiring and lazy. He was very good at the practical things in life. Oh, and he seemed to think that I was perfect in every way which stood him in good stead from the beginning. Over the years he was disabused of this fallacy but by then it was too late.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
When asked why she is married to Roger Rabbit, Jessica replies, "He makes me laugh".
Mmmm, hmmmm....that ranks high on my list. ...and a little of this too..

Old 08-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife has always paid all the bills and manages her income and mine. Ever since, when we had been married for 3 months, she went out and used our ENTIRE weekly food budget to buy YARN for some project(twenty bucks at the time, when I was only making $5200 a year). She couldn't understand. So I put her in charge of day to day and month to month bills, and we made up a budget for her to follow. I remained in charge of long term planning, and she needed my OK to purchase anything really big and I needed her figuring on how to purchase anything really big.

Its worked pretty well for about 37 years, except for the occasions when she's failed to pay a bill and they start calling. We've never been in a position where the money wasn't budgeted.

It also means that we'll have no problem budgeting for retirement: we know exactly what our inflow and out flow has been for almost 40 years of records.
HsiaoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Mmmm, hmmmm....that ranks high on my list. ...and a little of this too..

YouTube - Otis Redding - Try A Little Tenderness
I have a Little Tender Chest at the moment - will that work?
Old 08-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....I reckon it will....
Old 08-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
The stereotype is that a woman seeks a man who is wealthy.
Well stuff has changed and women are 'allowed' to work and make money.
I supported a man for several years because he did housework and yardwork and vehicle maintenance.
We don't have to buy into the stereotypes.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
The stereotype is that a woman seeks a man who is wealthy.
Well stuff has changed and women are 'allowed' to work and make money.
I supported a man for several years because he did housework and yardwork and vehicle maintenance.
We don't have to buy into the stereotypes.
When Frank and I first met, he had a worse looking car than mine. I was so relieved! I didn't need to feel embarrassed about my crummy k-car with the big dent in the side when dating him. Whew. Also, his old car with severe paint problems was completely paid for, as was my k-car. So, we had that in common. We each felt that if the other could support himself or herself independently, we could care less about conspicuous consumption.

I wonder if guys who try to impress women with how much money they have, would often end up with golddiggers. Some might say they deserve one another.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
When Frank and I first met, he had a worse looking car than mine. I was so relieved! I didn't need to feel embarrassed about my crummy k-car with the big dent in the side when dating him. Whew. Also, his old car with severe paint problems was completely paid for, as was my k-car. So, we had that in common. We each felt that if the other could support himself or herself independently, we could care less about conspicuous consumption.

I wonder if guys who try to impress women with how much money they have, would often end up with golddiggers. Some might say they deserve one another.
You want to impress me?
Do housework.
No woman ever shot a man while he was doing housework.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
When Frank and I first met, he had a worse looking car than mine. I was so relieved! I didn't need to feel embarrassed about my crummy k-car with the big dent in the side when dating him. Whew. Also, his old car with severe paint problems was completely paid for, as was my k-car. So, we had that in common.

Agreed on your last paragraph, but I'm curious: had you met Frank when you were in your 20s, do you think you would have the same reaction? Do you think your actual reaction to his "clunker" would have been the same, or would you have been more likely to think "lousy job, low income, not a candidate" and have your opinions colored accordingly?

As we mature, I think we learn to embrace the more permanent and timeless endearing qualities like loyalty, faithfulness, dependability and stability than the kind of stuff we seek in our 20s. And that goes for women *and* men alike.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 08-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Agreed on your last paragraph, but I'm curious: had you met Frank when you were in your 20s, do you think you would have the same reaction? Do you think your actual reaction to his "clunker" would have been the same, or would you have been more likely to think "lousy job, low income, not a candidate" and have your opinions colored accordingly?
I was terribly shallow in my 20's sometimes. Still, when I was in my 20's, I wouldn't have even cared if he HAD a car as long as he was otherwise appealing.

In my 50's, I was pretty skeptical about guys with no transportation unless they could prove to me that they didn't want to depend on me for all their transportation needs. I did date one guy who didn't drive but he paid for a cab. So, that was OK (although we both agreed there was no "chemistry" so that was that). Granted, women do vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy29
As we mature, I think we learn to embrace the more permanent and timeless endearing qualities like loyalty, faithfulness, dependability and stability than the kind of stuff we seek in our 20s. And that goes for women *and* men alike.
I think that is true, too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
You want to impress me?
Do housework.
No woman ever shot a man while he was doing housework.
or was a good cook
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
or was a good cook
At least I have that part down. I am a very good cook and I actually enjoy it -- as long as someone else does the dishes.