Join Early Retirement Today

Does anybody have a feeling they have too many online accounts?
Old 08-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Does anybody have a feeling they have too many online accounts?

I have a 6% cd maturing and thought I would at least get the max $5k in I Bonds that are paying a decent rate now. But then I would have to open up another account and keep track of that. I have a Netflix, Apple, Vanguard, HSA, 3 Banks from too much CD surfing, Brokerage Ira, hotels, ira's, airlines, Turbo tax, cell phone, on and on. I couldn't make myself open up another one. Anybody else feel this way or am I just a dinosaur? I have to keep a notebook with all these things in them to keep track of them.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can still purchase I-bonds in paper form through 2011 so that is an option if you want to purchase some and not have to create another online account.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I just checked Password Safe and see I have 150 online accounts/passwords of various sorts. Some of these are defunct but still...
Old 08-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
Administrator

Yes, I know just what you mean about too many accounts! No human being ever born could remember that many passwords, and it seems like they all have to be different from one another.

The world would so much simpler and more pleasant, if everyone was brought up to do the right thing and not steal. But I guess that is in the category of a nice fantasy, and it is getting further removed from reality every day.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
I just checked Password Safe and see I have 150 online accounts/passwords of various sorts. Some of these are defunct but still...
150, wow! I shouldn't be complaining. I assume that is an online account that keeps them accessed for you? So I guess you don't need the paper notebook that has written on the cover "online account passwords" like I do.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Try being a controllerin a small company... we have sales taxes in 8 states (and will have about 30+ next year)... 3 different insurance plans, 401(k), various banks...

PLUS all the ones that I have personally.. Amazon, Etrade, Vanguard, a couple of banks, credit cards, ING, hotels and airlines rewards...

I don't know how to check the password vault, but would not be surprised to see 150 ish...

And don't forget ER.org....
Old 08-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
150, wow! I shouldn't be complaining. I assume that is an online account that keeps them accessed for you? So I guess you don't need the paper notebook that has written on the cover "online account passwords" like I do.
Password Safe is an open source password keeper. It keeps your passwords in an encrypted file accessed through -- what else -- a password. I keep the official copy in of the encrypted file in dropbox and can access it using PS on my phone, laptop, or PC. I suffer from ICRS syndrome (I Can't Remember Sh**).
Old 08-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Anybody else feel this way or am I just a dinosaur? I have to keep a notebook with all these things in them to keep track of them.
You just have too many passwords...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
That 3 rd box is definitely me. Then I go search for my password notebook!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

They'll never guess 1,2,3,4,5,6. Well, they'd never expect me to use THE SAME password for everything!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I've given up on trying to memorize all my userid and passwords for online accounts a long time ago and also have a password manager program. In fact most of my passwords are all randomly generated.

My approach..use a password manager along with a good backup or two of your password file.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

its a sign of the times..... I let my kid keep track of em for me, lol
Old 08-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Nice thought on simplifying passwords selection.

But, it is not only the passwords that you have to keep track of. There are also the user IDs. And web sites have different requirements - sometimes they need a capitalized letter, at least a number and the number of characters has to be within a certain range.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post

But, it is not only the passwords that you have to keep track of. There are also the user IDs. And web sites have different requirements - sometimes they need a capitalized letter, at least a number and the number of characters has to be within a certain range.

That's why, back in the days of w*rking, I remember when folks would just keep their highly confidential id's and passwords written down on a sheet of paper neatly tucked in their top desk drawer (unlocked of course, as to keep on locking the drawer was too much of a pain)
Old 08-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
That's why, back in the days of w*rking, I remember when folks would just keep their highly confidential id's and passwords written down on a sheet of paper neatly tucked in their top desk drawer (unlocked of course, as to keep on locking the drawer was too much of a pain)
Bruce Schneier, a well known IT security expert, carries his password list on paper in his wallet. He views that as quite secure since he hasn't lost his wallet in decades and could quickly change his passwords in the event that he did. The advantage is that they are readily available when needed. Putting them in the desk drawer or anywhere on a PC unencrypted would be a no-no.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post

The problem with that is some sites now REQUIRE a capital letter and a number... so when I put in my 3 or 4 standard passwords I now how to do a capital letter and numbers...

Also, I have been on sites that limit the password to 12 or 15 length... 4 random words looks longer than that...
Old 08-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Bruce Schneier, a well known IT security expert, carries his password list on paper in his wallet. He views that as quite secure since he hasn't lost his wallet in decades and could quickly change his passwords in the event that he did. The advantage is that they are readily available when needed. Putting them in the desk drawer or anywhere on a PC unencrypted would be a no-no.
I wondered how many passwords did he keep in his wallet. More than a handful, and he'd have to write very very small.

One time, when I used to use LOGMEIN to remotely access my home computer, I put the passwords hidden on a plastic card in my wallet. If someone found it, they'd only see oddly strings of characters. But eventually I forgot what password was what so I pretty much stopped using LOGMEIN.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Actually I can remember when it was just a yellow sticky placed on my monitor.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I have about 80 online accounts. I use a password vault program to keep track of them all.
I usually am pretty good at remembering my passwords and rarely need to peak inside the vault. Of course one has to make sure not to forget the master password for the vault itself (my master password is long, complex and difficult to remember, so I keep it on a piece of paper in my wallet. It is encrypted, of course).
Old 08-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I only use 2 PW's one for sensitive stuff, the other for who cares.