Join Early Retirement Today

Does Anyone Grow Rhubarb?
Old 03-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Does Anyone Grow Rhubarb?

Calling all you vegetable gardeners! Do any of you grow rhubarb? I need to know if I'm fretting too early. After several years of wanting to, I finally created a new bed and planted 3 rhubarb plants last year. Did not harvest any of the stalks, and watched over them like a mother-hen.

Two of them were "McDonald" and one was "Canada Red". The Canada Red is starting to poke through with one little leaf already. But there is no sign of life from the McDonalds yet. Should I be seeing signs of growth at this point? Just wondering if I'll need to be replacing them this year.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #2

Mine is up but I do not know what kind it is. I am south of Hamilton Ontario near lake Erie. See if you can find out if one is a later kind than the other.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Previous owner planted a 6" x 10" plot and it has been coming up like weeds for 20 years now. I can't give it away, though we make a few pies each year. One really good thing about it - the deer don't eat it
Old 03-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I grow rhubarb here in north-central IL....Zone 5. Normally all of my clumps come up at just about the same time...however, once in a while one clump will be slow to poke through in the Spring. My neighbor's rhubarb patch started coming up almost a week before mine, and it's right on the other side of the cylcone fence....same soil, smae sunlight, same everything except mailing address. ;-)

One major thing that will retard or inhibit growth of rhubarb....especially recently planted rhubarb...is if it was planted too deep. Rhubarb doesn't like to planted very deeply at all....normally should be just slightly below the soil's surface.

Since the rhubarb that's not yet showing it's face is a different variety, I'd say give it a little more time. It might just start a bit later than the variety that's up right now.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Neighbor used to. Personally, I don't consider it food.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #6

Thanks, everyone, for your input on this. I see some growth from a second plant, so at least two out of the three I planted last year have made it back for another season, yay!

Goonie, you mentioned the planting depth. I'm pretty sure I got this right because I had done some research on rhubarb and planting instructions before I planted last year. However, I did put down a few inches of mulch to protect the bed at the end of fall. I'm wondering if this might have been a bad idea. Any thoughts?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #7

Once it's established rhubarb is almost impossible to kill. It grows here in northern North Dakota with temperatures regularly -25 to -40 in mid January. I've never done anything to encourage it to grow, no watering or mulching or winter protection. It comes up every year with no problems. I like to eat it raw with a little salt.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
.....However, I did put down a few inches of mulch to protect the bed at the end of fall. I'm wondering if this might have been a bad idea. Any thoughts?
No, mulching is OK! If the mulch is still on it, you should probably remove it now, so the soil can warm up a bit faster....the mulch will keep the soil cooler longer....removing it will allow for better solar heating.

I have 3 patches of rhubarb....2 are up and doing fine....the 3rd is always a late arriver.....same variety, same growing conditions....just a a late starter. So there's still hope for the rest of yours!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Neighbor used to. Personally, I don't consider it food.
Then you have not had a strawberry/rhubarb pie; your life is not whole.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
I LOVE strawberry/rhubarb pie!!!

It's #1 on my "Favorite Pie" list.....followed closely by every other kind of pie!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I was a kid I used to pick a stalk and just eat it there in the garden. Kinda like sucking on a lemon, but not as sweet.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #12

I want to start a patch. Best kind?

Free to canoe
Old 03-25-2010, 07:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
The only one I like better is elderberry
Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 AM   #14

A few years ago a friend of mine served me a piece of her homemade apple-rhubarb pie. It was heavenly. In fact, it's what convinced me to grow my own rhubarb.