Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

We eat at restaurants 3 or 4 times per week. Prices are certainly going up and it's easier to get a table but we haven't noted any meaningful change in quality or service. Except, the owners are even happier than before to see us.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Hmmm - pre Katrina, Italian, upstairs, not too far from Elysian Fields and Gentilly.

The name escapes me. Probably isn't there anymore.

heh heh heh - she says they are dogging it on soft shell crab Po-Boys around town - the competition needs to step up for the good old days. Prices have drifted up here in KC and I'm not enough of a BBQ expert to do other than eat - may get picky later.
I'll have to look for that one! I don't think I've ever been there. You know how restaurants are down here. A million really fabulous hole in the wall neighborhood places. This one was actually just a few blocks outside New Orleans proper, and was pretty crowded with people living in the neighborhood. We are going to go back soon so that Frank can try the chicken parmesan. I asked him about the stuffed shrimp, and he said they were very good but a little small. Typical picky New Orleanian! Competition is still alive and well in the restaurant business down here.

Prices were higher for a couple of years right after Katrina at some restaurants (like Mandina's, once they renovated and reopened), but seem to have settled back down to their early 2005 prices, as far as we can tell. Of course, some restaurants never survived the storm, including one of our favorites called La Cuisine over on Harrison. I hope the one that you recall is still there.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tony Angello's ?

Have not been - but I know those who like it.

heh heh heh -
Old 10-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Tony Angello's ?

Have not been - but I know those who like it.

heh heh heh -
No, no.. this was Mr. Ed's on Live Oak, nowhere near as well known as Tony Angello's and not really known outside of a few neighborhood diehards that keep it busy. It's been there for a long time, though, and Frank used to go there with his uncle and aunt when he was a young man. By the way, Tony Angello's finally opened again after the storm, I think in 2006 or early 2007. The re-opening was covered on TV. They took probably 20' of water being right near the 17th St. Canal like that but they came back anyway! If Mr. Ed's took any water you couldn't tell. Probably didn't though in that neighborhood, I don't know how.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Jeez, CFB, you must be lusting after a curmudgeon certificate.

But, sadly, you're right. Poorer quality, or higher prices, or both.

Spending a couple days in Nebraska, thinking they'd have a good steak. Wrong. Maybe shouldn't have gone to a chain place.

Went to a mexican food place with lots of cars, must've mostly been bar business because the food wasn't very good.

Went to an italian buffet. All cold, poor quality food.

None of which were ragin' hot value priced.

Oh well, back to off-the-beaten-path, mom-and-pop places.

-CC
Old 10-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

No, It does not stink in fact it is a great bargain . There are so many restaurants around here that competition is fierce so high prices would be the kiss of death . The food quality seems the same but frankly I do not find the food in Florida even waving at the small Italian restaurants in New Jersey . I would kill for that food .
Old 10-12-2008, 06:52 AM   #27

I eat out 4 or 5 times per week in Chicagoland. Food is awesome, but prices seem to creep up.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:04 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I stay away from fast food, cheap chain restaurants, and heavily advertised places. We stick to small chef owned or family owned and operated places and yes the prices are up but the food is still great.

Note: La Halle a famous French restaurant in NYC ala Anthony Bourdain is run by a crew of Central American cooks now.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Hmmm - pre Katrina, Italian, upstairs, not too far from Elysian Fields and Gentilly.

The name escapes me. Probably isn't there anymore.
Il Ristorante? Ain' der no mo and been gone a long time, says Frank. The building is still there, though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of my favorite places for finding new favorite places is the local Chowhound board for my city: Chowhound Boards - Chowhound
Old 10-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #31

Well, I'm living temporarily in the San Francisco Bay area right now and the restaurant food has been of high quality for the most part as usual, but the prices have gone up and they were expensive before....I'm about to move to Europe - let's hope the dollar is a bit stronger - worst part over there was when they converted to the Euro - many restaurants just changed the monetary symbol...we were supposed to get 2.2DM to the Euro.....uhh - and we got 1.1 Euro to the dollar - that was awesome......however, I've found the quality of the restaurant food in Europe to pretty good and consistent.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:53 PM   #32

We took customers out to an upscale place in Indy last week...Harry & Izzy's is a sister establishment to St Elmo's, featureing good ol Midwest Beef. I was surprised that business appeared very robust for a Tuesday evening (in Indy). What was most interesting was our young waiter with the New Zealand accent. He also served us breakfast the following morning in the resturant of our hotel....talk about hard working immigrants!
Old 10-13-2008, 07:24 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

We have numerous fine restaurants where we live and we try to dine out at least once a week. The food is still generally very good, but prices are up and portions are down.

It's amusing to order something that you've had numerous times in the past and see it served on a smaller plate, or have the food arranged differently so as to make it appear to fill the plate. But so far, we've still been satisfied, regardless.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #34

At those prices, no wonder self control is a problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Total bill for two? $28

The portions are too big in most restaurants here, too. I wish we could order half a portion, since it is difficult to have enough self control to stop half way through and get a to-go box. Often Frank and I split a meal between us, and cope with the problem that way.
As for self-control, we've started playing a 'game' where we convince ourselves how good the leftovers will be and it seems to encourage us to save enough for a second meal. It kinda works too because we've found the meal is more enjoyable when we're less stuffed. This only works if the meal re-heats well. This game has gotten a bit more elaborate lately and we request more bread just before we're done (and take it home with the leftovers). Sometimes we stop short to save room for a shared dessert, but usually we're still too full for dessert. Sometimes the take-out becomes midnight snack! These are medium priced resturant chains like Longhorne, but it's still 45-50 bucks with 2 drinks and no dessert. The staff seems to play along with our 'game', courteously helping us pack up our leftovers and we leave a decent tip.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Good news: Easier parking, shorter waits for tables, less pressure to leave when you're done...

Bad news: Smaller portions of lower grade meats, higher prices, favorite (high value) menu items dropped...
Old 10-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #36

Ok now I am worried. Went out for some Pho at lunchtime and instead of the usual basil they served coriander. Should we be worried, is basil now so expensive that the coriander is going to be a permanent substitution?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:44 AM   #37

We go out probably twice a week. Haven't noticed much change in quality, except that parking is easier to find.

The Chinese restaurant we frequent increased their price by about 20% recently. It's also at this same restaurant that I once asked for more rice, and the owner was reluctant. She asked me, in a not-so-nice way, "Are you going to eat it here?" and I was adamant that I was.

But generally I try to pack the leftovers for lunch the next day. Then I feel less guilty about eating out.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:42 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I've certainly noticed higher prices. My favorite Mexican place is charging for a second basket of chips and Salsa, and even a couple of the Vietnamese place have shrunk the size of the Pho bowls.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:11 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Own2Feet View Post
Ice cream that used to come in half a gallon cartons is now 1.5 quarts. Ice cream manufacturers also love to pump lots of air into their product and call it "lower fat" or "twice-churned," and pretend it is so you will have healthier ice cream. I recognize a scam when I see one.

Most of the so called healthier or lite ice creams replace the cream factor with marshmallow base along with a few other tricks like air,water or copious quantities of B grade milk. You basically get what you pay for.
If your dining isnt what it once was come on up to Montreal and experience some of the best retaurants N America has to offer.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

The food around here is excellent, heh, heh, but not cheap!