Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
My own CPI - that's a good one REW!

DH and I share our home with 4 cats. Yeah, I know that seems like a lot to some folks, but the way we figure it, weight and time wise, they equal about one big dog.

Seriously though, for pet lovers the cost of pet food has gone up a lot. But vet bills are through the roof - much like health care for people. No wonder why so many people going through difficult times are giving up their pets. Shelters and rescue groups are overloaded. Such a sad situation
I've always been puzzled by people stating if they run low on retirement funds they will have to eat cat food. Have they ever looked at the price?

DD

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
I've always been puzzled by people stating if they run low on retirement funds they will have to eat cat food. Have they ever looked at the price?

DD
Me too. I threaten our cats with feeding them people food if times get really tuff

Old 08-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Main culprit is turning food (i.e. corn) into fuel. As the price of corn goes up, so does just about all food items (cereals, meats [pigs like corn ya know], milk [cows like corn ya know] and just about anything that has corn sweetening in it [a very big list].

Burning food just doesn't seem like a great idea. . . .
Cost of the corn in a box of corn flakes, about 12 cents. They pay more for the box!

Cost of the corn used to make high fructose sweetener for a 2 liter bottle of soda- about 15 cents.

"Given that foods using corn as an ingredient make up less than a third of retail food spending, overall retail food prices would rise less than 1 percentage point per year above the normal rate of food price inflation when corn prices increase by 50 percent."

The price of corn is high right now, but alternative fuels is not the boogey-man. The weak dollar makes it cheaper for other countries to buy commodities from the US. Worldwide grain stocks are extremely low. Consumption of grains and feeding of livestock in third world countries is a growing market for worldwide commodities. Could be a commodity bubble? If the price of corn falls 50%, what would we expect the impact to be on food prices?

I suspect that a couple things affect the perception of the price of meat. We eat much better cuts of meat today than we did 35 years ago. The quality of meat is better. The convenience is greater.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Fireball View Post
Cost of the corn in a box of corn flakes, about 12 cents. They pay more for the box!

Cost of the corn used to make high fructose sweetener for a 2 liter bottle of soda- about 15 cents.

"Given that foods using corn as an ingredient make up less than a third of retail food spending, overall retail food prices would rise less than 1 percentage point per year above the normal rate of food price inflation when corn prices increase by 50 percent."

The price of corn is high right now, but alternative fuels is not the boogey-man. The weak dollar makes it cheaper for other countries to buy commodities from the US. Worldwide grain stocks are extremely low. Consumption of grains and feeding of livestock in third world countries is a growing market for worldwide commodities. Could be a commodity bubble? If the price of corn falls 50%, what would we expect the impact to be on food prices?

I suspect that a couple things affect the perception of the price of meat. We eat much better cuts of meat today than we did 35 years ago. The quality of meat is better. The convenience is greater.
That just accounts for the direct increase in corn costs. What about the increase in other food crops because growers convert from them to corn production? Growing fuels is a bad idea, on so many levels, unless you can use waste material.

DD
Old 08-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But vet bills are through the roof - much like health care for people. No wonder why so many people going through difficult times are giving up their pets.
I know a surgeon who's designing a better hip replacement. The tech seems good and the insertion surgery is definitely better than the status quo. But what's really exciting the investors is how easily the technique can be adapted for dogs-- and with a lot less red tape.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #26

Yesterday getting "the munchies" I went to a vending machine thinking of a candy bar. They wanted a whole dollar for a candy bar!

This is a guy who remembers five cent candy bars and there is no way that I am going to pay a dollar for a candy bar. Somehow it's just morally offensive.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

We're feeling the increase in grocery costs. Generally for special family gatherings, we like to have a nice little feast of porterhouse/ribeye steaks, salmon, lobster, etc.

10 years ago, one can usually buy porterhouse/ribeye steaks and salmon for $3.99 a pound, now it's $9.99. Not even buying lobster anymore. This is on sale and not a fancy place.

Let's just say my investments did not grow like that over the last 10 years!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34
Yesterday getting "the munchies" I went to a vending machine thinking of a candy bar. They wanted a whole dollar for a candy bar!

This is a guy who remembers five cent candy bars and there is no way that I am going to pay a dollar for a candy bar. Somehow it's just morally offensive.
Walt, they might hurt your wallet a lot more, but these new dollar candy bars keep your waistline a lot smaller. Have you noticed how much a candy bar has shrunk over the years? I bet they are at least a third smaller than they used to be.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

That just shows what a dollar is really woth these days - 5 cents.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #30

Chopped meat and cookies are the two items I have noticed the biggest price increses the last few years. Just a few years ago chopped meat's per pound cost was around $2.90-$3.60, depending on the cut (chuck, ground round, and sirloin) but now those prices are $4.30-$5.10. As a result, I am buying the lower cuts more often. Unlike chicken, chopped meat is never on sale.

With cookies, the price per pound not long ago was in the $3.20 range but now for most brands it is now $4.00. I will try out more of the generic brands but if they turn out to be mediocre quality I will have to switch back to the other, costlier brands.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Chopped meat and cookies are the two items I have noticed the biggest price increses the last few years. Just a few years ago chopped meat's per pound cost was around $2.90-$3.60, depending on the cut (chuck, ground round, and sirloin) but now those prices are $4.30-$5.10. As a result, I am buying the lower cuts more often. Unlike chicken, chopped meat is never on sale.
Beef prices are being affected by the drought in Texas and the midwest.

Texas Heat Wave Affects Idaho Cattle Prices - Local News Story - KIFI Idaho Falls
Old 08-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #32

Potatoes. I remember getting white or red potatoes in 10 pound bags for 10 cents a pound about 10 years ago at my local cheap place. That's right, ten cents a pound. Starting about a month ago, you can't even find a 10 pound bag, only 5 pound bags, and the lowest price is 50 cents per pound, even at the el cheapo places. Horrible. On a positive note, I was able to get bone-in chicken breast for 99 cents a pound, at the same store, a couple weeks ago And a half gallon of OJ from concentrate for $1.79
Old 08-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Concerning the corn/ethanol thing- Not all is lost to making fuel. After the 'crush', a byproduct results commonly called the 'cake'. This cake is sold to livestock and poultry producers.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I got 10lbs of potatoes for 35 cents a lb at Aldi on Saturday.

10 cents a lb would be awesome!
Old 08-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Well, at least stocks got a lot cheaper today
Old 08-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #36

I have started to pull back on eating out, we now try to limit it to once every 2 weeks.

Fortunately, I am a rice & noodles kind of guy, so can whip up a satisfying meal with just some stir fry noodles, some leftover scraps of meat and veggies.

We stopped our expensive T-Mobile cellphone plans, and have gone to a no contract, monthly plan ( Straight Talk ). It was incredible seeing 7 different line items for taxes ( FCC taxes, CA taxes, 911 taxes, etc etc ) on our bills adding up to about 17% or more of the actual service!

With $1 evening rentals, I now rent from the red kiosks in WalMart and Safeway, instead of having a cable service. Savings are great - probably around $30/month.

Unfortunately, food, gas, utilities and taxes continue to go up, up up. Totally out of my control
Old 08-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Coffee seems to be going through price increases and package shrinkage....
Old 08-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #38

Quote:
Well, at least stocks got a lot cheaper today
You know, as much as some in Washington were sounding an alarm about what happens to the financial markets if the can weren't kicked down the road a bit longer, I have watched Wall Street long enough to feel confident it was going to tank today no matter what. Buy on the rumor, sell on the news...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

If any of you are Direct TV subscribers and buy the NFL Sunday package, they jacked the rate up on it again. Call and tell them your dropping it.They immediately lowered it from $53 a month to $33 for me. Lowest I've paid for it in over 5 years. Newbees to Direct tv get it free for signing up, that's what really got me going. My self esteem has risen a bit today since I fought back and won a bit.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #40

I agree that things are more expensive. I also find that it is harder to compare one product vs another. Things are often packaged differently or have slightly different features.