Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #21

Setting up your security is kinda fun--I have different groups of friends, including internet buddies (yep, these folks), dog/rescue peeps, relatives, music/hooping people, and real life. Only the last category gets to see everything I post and don't forget you can also use the same settings on your photo albums.

I love to check out the old school pictures and I scanned in a bunch of mine. It does make you feel old, though!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not positive if I've set up my securty settings 100% correct though. Thus far, I've only have two friend categories. One, a group of friends and the other family.

But, am I correct that if a person in my family group posts to my wall, than anyone I consider a friend can read that? And vice versa?

Old 08-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I love to check out the old school pictures and I scanned in a bunch of mine. It does make you feel old, though!
Yeah, I just was tagged in the photo of our 4th grade class the other day. Wow, what a terrible picture that was! My hair was awful (but at least I *had* hair!) and I had a weird, stupefied look on my face.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yeah, I just was tagged in the photo of our 4th grade class the other day. Wow, what a terrible picture that was! My hair was awful (but at least I *had* hair!) and I had a weird, stupefied look on my face.
And you suspect you look better now? LOL! Maybe you still have that same look!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I'm not positive if I've set up my securty settings 100% correct though. Thus far, I've only have two friend categories. One, a group of friends and the other family.

But, am I correct that if a person in my family group posts to my wall, than anyone I consider a friend can read that? And vice versa?
Posts to your wall can be viewed by everyone who is your friend. You can cut off this ability for your friends to post to your wall (I mean, if you think your friends will post unsavory things). Your own posts and status updates are the ones that can have varying security levels, like your photos.
You can also deny tagging of pictures if you worry, as one friend does, that her other friends think it is funny to tag unsuitable late night barroom pictures of her! But you can also untag yourself from pictures that you don't want identified with you.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the info. Guess it's a double edge sword. The good and bad is that info travels so freely.

For example, I might not want all my friends too see something like a family member saying.."remember when you were 5 years old and ..... ..... ...."

I just got a write on my wall from my sister who said, "We'll it's about time you joined Facebook..." I didn't like the tone (in my mind, there's still many advantages to keep incognito) so I removed from the wall and responded to her directly in a message.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #27
Administrator

I was concerned about similar things, easysurfer. I tightened up my Facebook security as much as I could, but in the end I was only happy when I limited my Facebook friends to my daughter and my brother. (My brother had a very severe stroke and never goes to Facebook any more, so really it is just my daughter.)

Since my objective in being on Facebook is simply to use it as another way to keep up with my daughter's day to day life, that works for me. I have dozens of "friends requests" from people I have known online, former co-workers, and even my cousins, but I just ignore them all. I know my limits.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I think for me, at the moment it's new, so I'm kind of watching every single tick. But I bet eventually, I'll probably too use it as just another place to keep in the loop.

If my "Wall" gets too controversal, there are ways to lock it down

Before this Facebook thing, I was quite content just emailing (though I read today that the class of 2014 regard email as obsolete) and content with the simplicity of bulletin boards like this.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can through privacy control a lot of the wall stuff.

You can limit who can post comments.

You can also limit who can see Wall posts of your friends. For example, on Facebook I do have certain people who aren't allowed to see the wall posts that my friends make.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I wish FB had virtual walls. That is, a wall for each friend group (similar to in Windows XP, each user has their own desktop). But I think the saving grace is unless there is something really really "juicy" posted on the wall, I bet the majority of people just give others' walls a passing glance.

Nice to know there is the option to control who's allowed to see the wall, if that enforcement is needed.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #31

I've had a FB account for about a year and seldom log in even though I periodically receive invites to Friend someone. Well, I finally realized it is the only way to keep up with some of my family. They use the phone or e-mail only rarely and yet type up a storm on FB. Go figure I guess I will be on there more often to keep up with family activities.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #32

Here you go.

Seriously, Facebook is great. Insurance firms and their lawyers frequently use it to find nice happy snaps of "disabled" plaintiffs performing vigorous activities, or "depressed, socially withdrawn" plaintiffs enjoying themselves in various social settings (parties, bars, sunlit beaches, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I haven't been on the Facebook bandwagon, but several friends want me to join to stay "in the loop."
If they are close friends, why can't they telephone, or use email? If they are not close friends, you have obviously been "out of the loop" for some time, and have managed to survive.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #33

I couldn't didn't go back to any of the posts, just the original title "does facebook offer privacy"

As a former IT Security guy, my answer is "YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING, RIGHT??" If you want any more info, PM me (or not).
Old 09-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

You mean I shouldn't post my passwords and account numbers on Facebook?

Seriously, though, I only allow friends to view my stuff, and nothing of much import is located there.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #35
gone traveling

Facebook feeds narcissism, survey says - CNN.com

Not a security problem (probably brought on by insecurity).

I'm not young; I'm not on FB ...
Old 09-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Facebook? Privacy?

The founder of facebook is a big believer in sharing everything. Facebook's business model is built on that, mining the graph of information relating facebook users.

While facebook has 'privacy settings,' I wouldn't count on the settings to:
1) Work
2) Continue working
3) Not be reset every time Mark Zuckerberg has a Better Idea.

"People have really gotten comfortable not only sharing more information and different kinds, but more openly and with more people. We view it as our role in the system to constantly be innovating and be updating what our system is to reflect what the current social norms are." -- Mark Zuckerberg

Disclaimer: I don't have a Facebook account. I'm not the person that owns the account pretending to be me. I also have never trusted Zuckerberg. Maybe there's a good reason for that, or maybe not.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Okay, made me look. This is a hot topic on my Facebook page. It could be but it didn't inspire me to go shopping. I want to adopt the one called, "Buzz."

Old 09-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Since my objective in being on Facebook is simply to use it as another way to keep up with my daughter's day to day life, that works for me.
Sometimes I wonder if our kid knows how to screen her FB posts so that her parents can't read all of them.

Then I wonder if she really is screening them after all...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I'm an old fart; on friendfeed, twitter, facebook, and 5 different personae.

No I won't tell what they are.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

My SO was reading something the other day and up popped this is recommended by ( My name ) .When he clicked on it my face book picture showed up with a link to my face book account . I guess this shows there is no privacy on face book .