Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Its been a great way to reconnect with people I haven't seen in 30+ years.... also a good way to network with people with similar interests. I live in Nashville and have managed to meet lots of musicians I wouldn't have met otherwise.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So, in facebook can you put a friend on a "hide" list? I don't mean to block out someone from being a friend, but so that other friends of me can't read her "wall". It's my 20 year old niece, I don't want to drop her out as a friend, but in some of her comments she's being a potty mouth

I guess she's practicing doing things at 20 years old that she'll be embarrassed about at 30 years old. Been there myself

Old 10-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
So, in facebook can you put a friend on a "hide" list? I don't mean to block out someone from being a friend, but so that other friends of me can't read her "wall". It's my 20 year old niece, I don't want to drop her out as a friend, but in some of her comments she's being a potty mouth

I guess she's practicing doing things at 20 years old that she'll be embarrassed about at 30 years old. Been there myself
I read an article a short while back where the author said that a fairly large number of kids/ younger adults are going to probably be legally changing their names in the future as the only way to get away from their youthful stupidities. A little extreme, but not beyond possibility.

I consider myself lucky that most of my early activities were witnessed only by others who I have something on too. They are only dragged back out on rare ocassions when we are in private, semi-intoxicated (or better), and reminiscing. In the internet age, I suspect I'd have been unable to find a responsible job.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does anyone know how in the world a distance cousin of mine somehow knows I was sneaking and looking at her Facebook page where she posts a blog of her activities? I know she knows I have been looking at her information cause she sent me a message when I haven't heard from her in ages, and, no, it wasn't coincidence.
Being no computer pro, is there a way to tell who has been looking at your Facebook page, Facebookers?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

AFAIK, there isn't any legal way to do this. I've seen a few apps that supposedly let you know, but they are against FBs TOS and get removed pretty qiuckly. Of course, FB is fairly hackable, and if your friend is geeky she might be able to do it. But if she's just an average user I suspect it really might have been a coincidence. I've played around with some, but most don't do what they say, and nothing has worked for long. Zuckerberg is a mean SOB.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #46

Orchidflower, almost assuredly a coincidence if you checked her out on Facebook only. If you went to her blog hosted somewhere else, then she could track you, maybe.

Oh, and while we're talking about Facebook--Early-Retirement.org does have a fan page if you'd like to "LIKE" it!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the heads up. Now I see it was her blog...dang! and that's where all the juicy gossip is, too..
Old 10-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #48

Well, frankly, if she puts it out on the street, then there should be no harm in your reading it! These kids have no idea how much their TMI culture might come back to haunt them!

Old 10-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
These kids have no idea how much their TMI culture might come back to haunt them!
Nah, it'll just become the new "normal".

Who knows, it might even offer substantial evidence to employers that their employees actually have a life outside of the workplace.

And finally, if I ever become a grandparent, I plan to exploit the whole system as a force for good. Just imagine the deterrent power of someday being able to bring my misbehaving 15-year-old grandson Nords III over to the computer to show him what Mom was posting on her Facebook account in 2010...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #50

Quote:
Well, frankly, if she puts it out on the street, then there should be no harm in your reading it! These kids have no idea how much their TMI culture might come back to haunt them!
I have a close friend who owns a recruiting business that specializes in highly technical searches. She says that Facebook and Linked are now key tools for agencies and recruiters in the hiring process - to systematically eliminate older applicants without ever having to consider them just by first doing facebook and linked checks - thus avoiding age discrimination complaints. Showing friends, peers, personal networks & college associations is as good as posting your age. She now believes that recruiting companies are being selected based on their ability to use social networking tools in the recruiting process - "code talk" for age based filtering.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I have a close friend who owns a recruiting business that specializes in highly technical searches. She says that Facebook and Linked are now key tools for agencies and recruiters in the hiring process - to systematically eliminate older applicants without ever having to consider them just by first doing facebook and linked checks - thus avoiding age discrimination complaints. Showing friends, peers, personal networks & college associations is as good as posting your age. She now believes that recruiting companies are being selected based on their ability to use social networking tools in the recruiting process - "code talk" for age based filtering.
I've heard the same thing from a Human Resources VP. Lots of interesting code words for to indicate that 'over 40' need not apply, while dodging the EEO rules. She was telling me about common mistakes used to reject resumes, such as using actual years or dates for education and when positions were held that tip the reader to the applicant's probable age
Old 10-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #52

That is really terrible to hear about the new and improved ways of discriminating against older workers. I wonder if there will ever be a shift to where older employees are considered more valuable?

Old 10-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #53

Quote:
That is really terrible to hear about the new and improved ways of discriminating against older workers. I wonder if there will ever be a shift to where older employees are considered more valuable?
This seems to be a US attitude, I only saw it in US companies in Latin America. Local companies usually had a better mix of ages, and I don't recall ever meeting a "young" exec of a local company. Even in family businesses there was lots of grey hair.

A very good friend went to work for a European company (after 20 years in US multinationals) and she said she if there was any evidence of age bias it favored the more experienced.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We were supposed to die before we got old...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
We were supposed to die before we got old...
Now we're all supposed to f-f-f-f-faaade away...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Okay...so being a member of Facebook (FB) since August. I like and dislike it.

I like that FB does allow me to keep up with what's going on quickly.

I dislike it in that if there is a way, it surely isn't apparent to separate some froms from all friends (which isn't like real life). In real life, in a room gathering for example, the folks at one corner might be talking about the kids soccer game while in the other corner some folks could be in conversation using some salty language, but out of earshot from everyone else. I don't see how that's done in FB. I can put friend in different groups (business, immediate family, kids, college buddies, etc.). But it seems like if I say, "friends only" able to see, then my kids friends can see my college buddies friends and vice versa.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #57
Administrator

That's a good point, easysurfer. Everyone you "friend" on Facebook is going to know everything about you, who your kids are, when you are on vacation and leaving your house empty, and so on, whether you know them well and trust them completely or not, and it's hard impossible to separate your friends.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Would be nice if the groups worked like a distribution list on email. Remember those things? Only those on the distribution list can see the email. Would be nice if friend groupings in FB worked the same way. FB "Walls", but partitioned. That's an idea
Old 10-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Would be nice if the groups worked like a distribution list on email. Remember those things? Only those on the distribution list can see the email. Would be nice if friend groupings in FB worked the same way. FB "Walls", but partitioned. That's an idea
Yes, I do remember those distribution list emails! That's been a while.

My daughter used to blog about her daily activities and life on Livejournal, and she could create different groups of friends and she could limit those viewing a particular post, to those in just one of the groups, for example. That really worked nicely IMO. When she was angry with a co-worker, she could ensure that friends from work could not see that post. If she talked about racy things at all, then I couldn't see those posts either (so I don't know if she did). And so on.

That eliminated that problem. But you can't do that on Facebook as far as I know. I agree, that that is a big mistake on Facebook's part.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

FB should have the privacy settings according to friend. For example for my niece with potty mouth...I would still keep her as a friend, but don't want everyone with sensative eyes to read her Wall. I don't see a way to do that though as my choice seems to be have all friends read friends' Walls or limit only me to read them and no one else. No in between.

It's like back in the mainframe computer days. I used to work with settings/permissions for IDs. They used to be at ID level, but switched it to group responsibility level. The latter might be easier to manage, but the detail and flexibility is lost.