Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #61

Easysurfer, you can set your privacy settings to show some posts to some people and the like. I have my relatives segregated where they can only see some of my posts, albums, etc. I think the new Groups feature does this to an even greater degree than my friend categories do now.

W2R, you can do just as you described in FB, there is a little "lock" icon that you use to select who can read your posts.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sarah,

I was just looking in Facebook. Do see the further customization, say if I post something, I select "make visible to ..." these people.... or "hide from.." these people. But..can I say "make visible to..." group #1 or "hide from .." group #2 etc? instead of listing out each friend in the group?

That still won't screen out my potty mouth niece and her Wall. What I'd want is, for example, allow her Wall to be visible to family, but friends who might blush..I wouldn't want them to see....

Or I may just have to tactful say to her when I see her next time.."DN (dear neice), I have this dilemma in Facebook..."

Thx,
Easysurfer

Old 10-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #63

Yes--just set up your friends into groups--for instance, I have real life, relatives, music people, hoop people, once removed (friends of DH, who is not on FB), etc. People can be in more than one group. So I just start typing "real life" into the bar and those people are included or excluded from the post, album, what-have-you.
Holla at me via PM if you want me to step by step with you. I experiment with FB a lot.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #64
Administrator

This is interesting to know!! I didn't realize that could be done. Thanks, Sarah.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. I didn't know that either. The grouping does work like a distribution list grouping in outlook for emails then. So if I want to get the word out like a family reunion, just only show to family group..and there I go. Thanks Sarah.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #66

Sarah, personal ambassador for Facebook. I just have a *lot* of time on my hands when I'm at w*rk to figure that kind of stuff out. And God knows I love a good time waster!

Old 11-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

My wife's facebook account just got hacked. A friend called, saying they got some IMs that she was in some foreign country and having problems. I know the next requests would be for money, it seemed like that would be a typical MO for a scam, and some googling confirmed it as a common scam. The scary thing is, some people have written back to her 'wall' (I don't do FB, so excuse if the terminology is wrong) expressing concern for her. So some people fall for this crap. And now, more people see this even if they didn't get the IM.

Anyhow, I had her log out and back in and change her password, and to post that the info they may have received is not true. I'm following up with the security info on the FaceBook site:

New Tools to Secure a Compromised Account | Facebook

But I think that basically comes down to "change your password"...

I'm going to have her change it again, her new PW pick is as weak as the old one ( a dictionary word and a number ). She says she has only logged on from her home computer and one other time on a relatives computer (that was using a cell phone type dongle for internet access). Both are Macs, so the odds of a keylogger on there seem remote. I bet it was just a brute force hack that cracked her simple password.

Not sure this warrants any other action... Opinions?

-ERD50
Old 11-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Sarah, personal ambassador for Facebook. I just have a *lot* of time on my hands when I'm at w*rk to figure that kind of stuff out. And God knows I love a good time waster!
Hi Sarah,

Okay...Here's another Facebook tip request . How can I make myself temporarily invisible on Facebook chat so my friends don't know I'm online at the moment? Like in YIM or AOL IM.

Sometimes I might want to go on Facebook but put us a 'do not disturb' so others can't see me.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Okay...Here's another Facebook tip request . How can I make myself temporarily invisible on Facebook chat so my friends don't know I'm online at the moment? Like in YIM or AOL IM.
Sometimes I might want to go on Facebook but put us a 'do not disturb' so others can't see me.
[Horschak]Oooh! Oooh! I use that one![/Horschak]

On the chat box in the lower RH portion of the screen, click on "Options" and then "Go Offline". Your chat box will change to "Chat (Offline)" and stay that way until you change it.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Nords. I see it now.

I'm rethinking some privacy things with FB. Mainly, my friend lists. When the list was just starting out, I allowed only friends to see them.

But now, I'm thinking I might need to fine tune that as even in friends, there are varying degrees....close friends, very close friends, etc.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

It's not a privacy 'breach' when information about you is out there already

Quote:
Unfortunately, without an effective competitor for Facebook, your only viable protest against its defaults besides closing your account is to post misleading public information in your profile.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:11 AM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't have a FB account but recently received a FB invite from a new acquaintance. Included with the invite was a list of people I might know on FB, my sisters name was listed along with others I don't know. My sister and the new acquaintance live in different parts of the country and certainly don't know each other. Any ideas on how FB does this matching?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #73

Thanks, Nords--especially for the Horschack visual. And I *stay* invisible on FB, because I can't stand that chat feature.
ERD, she should check on the applications she's using--those are a gaping hole just waiting for a hacker to get in. Limit very severely the ones used if at all possible.
I get those as well, Zinger. It isn't that your sister and the other person are related, it is just that you are on the email address book of each of them (that's the way most people start with FB). Not magic, just permissions granted when they signed up.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks, Nords--especially for the Horschack visual. And I *stay* invisible on FB, because I can't stand that chat feature.
I use it with people who don't seem to communicate any other way, but they have to use one of those other ways to find me first.

One of those people was an old taekwondo instructor who'd moved away. One night my daughter brought me her laptop (logged into her FB account) and said "Here, he's done chatting with me and wants to chat with you." She was sorta torqued about it, but an hour's chat was apparently enough to satisfy him for a few months.

I'm not interested in getting up every morning for a FB chat. Heck, I do too much of it here already.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Okay...another FB privacy question. Not so much a "How to?" but more in theory.

Having the "Friends list" showing (even in my case, only "friends" can see my list) is like having your address book or roledex around in the open and anyone who I call a friend can peek though it at their convience.

It's that something you'd really want, or would you want to set some limits?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I stay invisible in FB by not ever logging in. Seriously, the only reason I'm on there is to let friends I'm not in close contact with have a way to contact me if they don't have my email address. Like if somebody dies or something. I tried using it, but the noise to signal ratio is way too high.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #77

Dang Harley, you mean you aren't reading my daily updates of what I had for breakfast? Filters on your newsfeed are what you need!

Easy, I have my friend list visible to my friends, mostly so they can more easily find one other (like relatives, for instance). I don't have it available to the universe.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

One drawback of FB, too quick info. I was watching a close game of my favorite team on my Slingbox ("tape delayed" on my DVR). Peacefully timeshifting the game when I answered a question for someone on FB. So I go to my Wall and I see a post from my nephew, something like..."Great game....great victory! Yes!" Spoiler...at least the team I was cheering for won.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Dang Harley, you mean you aren't reading my daily updates of what I had for breakfast? Filters on your newsfeed are what you need!

Easy, I have my friend list visible to my friends, mostly so they can more easily find one other (like relatives, for instance). I don't have it available to the universe.

Okay, so here's my real-life example. I get a new sister-in-law about a year ago. I really don't know her that well and my brother that she is married to isn't always too resposible. So, when I went on FB, they saw I was on and requested to be my friend. So, OK..I add them.

Then about a week later, I get this email from her son-in-law who wants to be my friend. I really don't know him. My vibe says, I really don't know him (maybe met him briefly once) and the thought of having my friend list open for all friends to see. So, I've just ignored his request and have let it sit there. One one hand, want to be "social" (isn't that what FB is supposed to be about), yet at the same time...it's can be too open.

I guess I'm talking about the area between an acquaintance vs a friend.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #80

Eh, I would ignore the request from the guy. He's probably a collector of people and doesn't really care one way or another. You can just mark the request ignored. I'm friends with my brother on FB but not in real life, for example, but he doesn't ever post anything so it isn't a bother.