Does Tequila go bad over time ?

OK to drink ?

• Yes

Votes: 31 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • You idiot, you found free alcohol, and you didn't already use it ?

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Came across a full, sealed, bottle of Cuervo Gold. Still has the tax stamp on it. Must be 30 years old. It it still ok to drink ?

Came across a full, sealed, bottle of Cuervo Gold. Still has the tax stamp on it. Must be 30 years old. It it still ok to drink ?

Send it to me and I'll let you know if it's still good.... tomorrow. :D
:)

The taste of the tequila might be a bit off, but it is safe to drink or use for snakebite.

:)

The taste of the tequila might be a bit off, but it is safe to drink or use for snakebite.

Yeah, the taste could be anywhere from a little off to a lot--hopefully wasn't stored in the trunk of a car. :)

Cuervo Gold was something I drank when I was poor. Cuervo does make some good stuff, but that ain't one of them.

Look for stuff that's 100% agave and costs at least $30/750 ml

It's as good as it ever was.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I have no idea. Anything with alcohol in it has a short half-life around here.

But I'm sure willing to give it a try!

I didn't vote because there wasn't an option for, "Eww, tequila? I wouldn't even drink that stuff if it was new." :LOL:

I was beaten to the punch, but the upshot is that it was never any good to begin with. ;)

Well, yes, you have to like Tequila - :)

I do and have forever. Now drinking Patron - :)

Make margaritas with it and you should be good. High proof stuff basically never goes bad.

Yeah, the taste could be anywhere from a little off to a lot--hopefully wasn't stored in the trunk of a car. :)

In the pantry at mom's house. her hubby died in the early 1990's so it's been sitting at least that long.

The only age restriction I've been able to find is that the tequila should be drunk within one to two years of opening the bottle. I would think that if the first sip is OK that restriction shouldn't be too onerous...

Tequila doesn't go bad. They found containers of it in ancient tombs.;)

I didn't vote because there wasn't an option for, "Eww, tequila? I wouldn't even drink that stuff if it was new." :LOL:

There are Tequilas, then there are Añejo and extra Añejo Tequilas. Pricepoints, unfortunately, matter here. :)

(had an ounce of Cuervo with a dash of aztec bitters earlier tonight--but 1800 Añejo, which bears the name "cuervo" nowhere on the bottle)

Yeah I steer clear of any tequila no matter how "good" it is - for some reason me and tequila just don't agree with one another :(

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Tequila, or any alcohol, never goes bad. Not if it's sealed. It cannot grow bacteria. It no longer ages once it's in a bottle. Wines and liquor that is in a wooden keg is still aging, but not in a glass bottle.

I did see a bottle of agave that had a worm in it. That might have been bad, although it was a new bottle.

(had an ounce of Cuervo with a dash of aztec bitters earlier tonight--but 1800 Añejo, which bears the name "cuervo" nowhere on the bottle)

1800 isn't a Cuervo product. Hasn't been for a while.

As has already been stated: This is actually "Blanca" (white) tequila -- aged less than six months (perhaps much less). Cuervo simply adds coloring to make it appear higher quality. Yes, it is drinkable... with lots of Lime juice, much sugar, and of course, a heap of salt. Oh, that's a commercial Margarita, isn't it?

It is totally safe.

If it had been wine, there would be some question about it, either being better or worse.

Wine will age in bottles (only Red wine, and it takes years). The aging is simply the chemical reactions within the bottle.

All liquor, beer and wine turns bad at the same time. Soon after it's drunk.:)

I really don't know how long liquor is still good/safe to drink, if it's left in the bottle. I have some that is nearing 50 years old that I wouldn't try to drink. It may be ok, but I'd rather not.

I know some of the new "hard stuff" is being packaged in plastic (or non breakable) bottles and I can taste the "plastic" even when it's fresh. No plastic packaged booze for me.

Last edited:
One Tequila,
Two Tequila,
Three Tequila,
Floor.

Thank you, George Carlin.

Back
Top Bottom