Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: OK to drink ?
Yes 31 65.96%
No 3 6.38%
You idiot, you found free alcohol, and you didn't already use it ? 13 27.66%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2016, 07:04 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As has already been stated: This is actually "Blanca" (white) tequila -- aged less than six months (perhaps much less). Cuervo simply adds coloring to make it appear higher quality. Yes, it is drinkable... with lots of Lime juice, much sugar, and of course, a heap of salt. Oh, that's a commercial Margarita, isn't it?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
It is totally safe.

If it had been wine, there would be some question about it, either being better or worse.

Wine will age in bottles (only Red wine, and it takes years). The aging is simply the chemical reactions within the bottle.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Takillya won't go bad in the bottle, but too much of it can have bad effects

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

All liquor, beer and wine turns bad at the same time. Soon after it's drunk.

I really don't know how long liquor is still good/safe to drink, if it's left in the bottle. I have some that is nearing 50 years old that I wouldn't try to drink. It may be ok, but I'd rather not.

I know some of the new "hard stuff" is being packaged in plastic (or non breakable) bottles and I can taste the "plastic" even when it's fresh. No plastic packaged booze for me.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

One Tequila,
Two Tequila,
Three Tequila,
Floor.

Thank you, George Carlin.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I know some of the new "hard stuff" is being packaged in plastic (or non breakable) bottles and I can taste the "plastic" even when it's fresh. No plastic packaged booze for me.
So how do you feel about non-organic corks?
Old 07-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Cuervo Gold was something I drank when I was poor. Cuervo does make some good stuff, but that ain't one of them.

Look for stuff that's 100% agave and costs at least $30/750 ml
Or just buy some decent Scotch for half that, heh heh. Sip responsibly as YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

For me that would be Macallan 12, $50/fifth -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:33 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
For me that would be Macallan 12, $50/fifth -
That would be my choice also. (I have, however, developed a taste for Anejo tequila -- I will have to get back to Denver to give examples.)

Anyway, being a Scot:

Call Themselves Scotsmen.JPG
Old 07-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would think it would not be a very good mixer. Cuervo Gold is not all Tequilla, it is a mix of corn sugar syrup, brown coloring and cheap tequilla. I could see the sugars breaking down into some nasty tasting juice, like bad high sugar wine with age. Prove me wrong and take a shot!
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:24 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
1800 isn't a Cuervo product. Hasn't been for a while.
Wow, that took me down the internet rabbit hole! (I hate researching privately held companies on nonproprietary databases....) Do you mean just the technical, legal distinction arising from the corporate structure chosen by the Beckmanns? Looks to be about the same as Blue Moon beer, which as a technical, legal matter isn't brewed by Coors. See Gallo’s non-infringement of trade dress for 1800 Tequila a Or, maybe I'm missing something (wouldn't be the first time today). ...

Here is a trade report from March 16, 2016, regarding a possible IPO for Cuervo, which includes 1800 in its portfolio:

Quote:
Cuervo’s revenue jumped by more than 40% in the first three quarters of 2015 to roughly $575 million, according to Bloomberg. The Mexico City-based company sells well more than 10 million cases annually, according to Impact Databank, with a portfolio led by the Jose Cuervo Tequila range (around 8 million cases sold globally in 2015, including the core brand, 1800, Gran Centenario and the Authentic Margaritas premix cocktail line), Three Olives vodka (1.6 million cases) and Bushmills Irish whiskey (800,000 cases). The vast majority of the company’s business occurs in the U.S., where Casa Cuervo subsidiary Proximo Spirits markets the portfolio.
Shanken News Daily: Exclusive news and research on the wine, spirits and beer business

This is consistent with other sources that refer to it as a brand within the Cuervo Group.

Interesting stuff--and an all-too-enjoyable diversion from the task list I have for today.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:25 AM   #32

Now this brings me to a follow up question: Any publicly held distillers a good stock pick ?
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Came across a full, sealed, bottle of Cuervo Gold.
Cuervo Gold isn't tequila - it's flavored alcohol. If you use it, use it only for margaritas.

Sounds elitist, but you can get decent 100% agave for a decent price; El Jimador is $35 for a 1.5-liter bottle here (cheaper than Cuervo Gold), and I'll sip it sometimes and it's just fine for margaritas.
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #34
Gone but not forgotten

Similar question
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

I don't drink tequila neat anymore after an unfortunate run-in about 40 years ago, but margaritas are my go-to drink. I used an opened bottle I had rescued from my in-laws' bar a few years ago to make one, and I can no longer say I've never had a bad margarita. No idea old or how long the bottle had been opened, but I would just ditch the old bottle the OP found.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post
Cuervo Gold isn't tequila - it's flavored alcohol. If you use it, use it only for margaritas.

Sounds elitist, but you can get decent 100% agave for a decent price; El Jimador is $35 for a 1.5-liter bottle here (cheaper than Cuervo Gold), and I'll sip it sometimes and it's just fine for margaritas.
I only learned to drink tequila recently, and am no expert, but have seen 100% agave tequila going for very good prices. So, what makes some supposedly not-so-good tequila more expensive? Just marketing as it usually is?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:30 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Not all 100% de agave tequilas are good. I've had a few that were not. Espolon is one that I didn't like. Tres Agaves is good and only ~$30/fifth

You might try some of George Clooney's new stuff Casamigos, about $40/fifth and very good.

Heradura is also good and about $30.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:39 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I don't drink tequila neat anymore after an unfortunate run-in about 40 years ago, but margaritas are my go-to drink. I used an opened bottle I had rescued from my in-laws' bar a few years ago to make one, and I can no longer say I've never had a bad margarita. No idea old or how long the bottle had been opened, but I would just ditch the old bottle the OP found.
There's a few really, really bad tequilas.

Many years ago I drank some with my buddy at a party. Absolutely evil! The stuff had a strong hint of kerosene! We thought perhaps we'd been slightly intoxicated when we tried it as surely it couldn't be that bad. Tried the stuff cold sober, still tasted like kerosene. I used to wash my hands with kerosene before supper at the mill and I remember that taste. YUCK! While kerosene tastes terrible it's far more palatable then diesel or gasoline.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:14 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

OK, I will try to remember some brands mentioned above, like Heradura and Espolon. On the Web, they get very high ratings.

I only had had margaritas up until a few years ago, when I decided to try sipping tequila. I even started a thread on it. Not knowing what to look for, I researched the Internet, and was told to not buy the common brands because even if some are good they are overpriced. So, I try to get some that are reasonably rated, and do not cost too much.

Anyway, I am still learning to like it, but am getting more interested. I finished off a bottle of Gran Centerario Reposado (must have because I went out looking for it and did not see it). Knowing that I am expanding my drinking horizon, people gifted me some more, like a bottle of Avion, and Cazul 100 Anejo. I have not opened them. Am still working on a bottle of Legado, which is inexpensive but very well liked on the Web.

I think I need to open them all and taste them side by side. My palate is getting dull, and my memory is no longer that good to remember what a past bottle is like. I used to tell with just one sip the difference between the regular Bombay and the Bombay Sapphire that I like, but I am not sure I can do that anymore.

Hey, when you get old and your senses are dull, you are easier to please (or may not even care) even though you have more money. How ironic.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Remember the old "salt & lime" ritual?

The salt made your mouth water so the shot would slide down and then you bit the lime to "kill the burn"

That was for bad tequila -