Join Early Retirement Today

Does this investment belong here?
Old 08-08-2004, 03:31 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does this investment belong here?

I've owned this "trust" on and off (mostly off) for more than 10 years. Its always paid a handsome dividend (around 10%). Now that oil prices are going nuts I got thinking about it again. But when I talk about it to anyone the say "Are you crazy?"

Now I'm not suggesting that anyone buy this thing. But could an investment of this ilk be an intelligent part of an ER portfolio?

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MARPS

BUM
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Does this investment belong here?
Old 08-08-2004, 05:39 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Depends - why would you buy it - what purpose does in perform in YOUR porfolio - taxable income booster, counterbalancer to something else, tax deferred for some reason. Put it in context - for someone in the acumulation vs distribution phase.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 09:06 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looks like its paying a 6.7% dividend, which you can get with more safety and diversity with vanguards high yield bond fund.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:10 AM   #4

Thanks unclemick and TH,

Quarterly dividends look attractive but not at 30 bucks/share. I was in at 15 many years ago when it was paying better than 10%....shudda held on to it.

Most of the schekels are on the way to vanguard from local money mkts. . I've been out of the stock market since January. I will need retirement income starting Q3'05. Still cant decide on the allocation.

Bonds are looking better every day.

Some days the view looks great from atop the fence. But its time to make the committment as ER beckons.

BUM
Old 08-12-2004, 11:18 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

There far better royalty trusts than this one,US based would be SJT,CRT and a handfull of others.Canadian trusts are more dynamic but also come with more risk,sinse they have there own quirks north of the border when it comes to accounting and market rules.I am down to 2 ERF,PGH.ERF is considered the big boy on the block,my basis is so low it would take quite a tumble before i decided to get bothered.The number of canadian trusts is legion,and growing by the week,this is probably not a good thing(well maybe for a while)keep in mind,at $45 WTI crude we are alot closer to the top than the bottom.Google around youll find all sorts of stuff on trusts.One of the main differences between Can/US trusts,is US based are depleting towards ).Whereas Can trusts,while depleting obviously,they constantly have to be on the hunt for acquisitions.Like all things related to energy,the top comes quicker than anybody thought--ak4195
Old 09-18-2004, 05:01 PM   #6

CRT seems a bit pricey today....but I'll likely "assume the position".

BUM