Join Early Retirement Today

Does this mean rodents?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
gone traveling

Does this mean rodents?

Early last evening, DW spotted an owl sitting on our patio chair. It was probably about 10" tall, but my what big talons it had. We stared at it through the window, about 4' away from us, for probably 10 minutes and it could see that we watching. Very cool, aside from the Zoo, I have never seen one of these guys up close before. I am not sure if he was checking out our indoor cats or there are rodents in the yard.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds cool. Hopefully it will stay around.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Check the understair cupboard - it may be that a household member has received an invitation to Hogwarts U.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

We saw an enormous owl just a couple of nights ago, perched on a tree in our back yard. He definitely could have carried off any of our cats, had they been strolling across the yard. They are truly amazing birds! We weren't as close to him as you were to yours, but still really cool.
I've seen an owlet up that close, one evening at dusk coming down our little dirt road. He was sitting on the mailboxes and I pulled up next to them and just sat there watching him for a few minutes before he flew off. I kinda worried that the mama owl might come pluck my eyeballs out, but fortunately never saw her.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I am not sure if he was checking out our indoor cats or there are rodents in the yard.
Depends on the size of the owl:

If it's skinny.... no previous rodents

If it's plump.... no current rodents

If it's obese.... no cats
Old 08-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
Depends on the size of the owl:

If it's skinny.... no previous rodents

If it's plump.... no current rodents

If it's obese.... no cats
All-in-one owl (insta-version @ the 2 minute mark):

calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #7

Must be owl week.

A small one swooped very close to me while I was chipping a few golf balls in the backyard at dusk (when the heat finally went below 100). She (boring gray so I assume female) perched on a low tree limb and started making lovely owl noises. After a few minutes I went in to get DH and when we came back out she was gone. Will look for her again tonight.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

A picture of my backyard owl. For scale, it's perched on a 4" X 4" post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OWL ON FENCE.jpg (811.3 KB, 6 views)
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We saw an enormous owl just a couple of nights ago...
We used to call the big owls in when I lived in SC. You have to be a good mimic or it will not work. If your mojo is working, they will answer you back from afar and then start coming toward you. Often times you can get multiple owls to have a hootinante above you in the darkness of the tree canopy.

Believe it or not.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Does this mean rodents?
Whatever your rodent population may be, I'm pretty sure it'll be declining soon.

We have a lot of rodents around our house (our property backs onto a gulch which has a cockfighting chicken farm) and we'll occasionally see an owl. I usually see them near dawn in my peripheral vision while I'm out on the back lanai, and their silent fly-by never fails to scare the bejeezus outta me.

Houston's Rice University campus is in the middle of downtown (like Central Park in Manhattan) yet they have a huge owl population.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Four Rice baby owls.jpg (123.0 KB, 2 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
We used to call the big owls in when I lived in SC. You have to be a good mimic or it will not work. If your mojo is working, they will answer you back from afar and then start coming toward you. Often times you can get multiple owls to have a hootinante above you in the darkness of the tree canopy.

Believe it or not.
That is fascinating. And I must also congratulate you on the term hootinante. It sounds far more academic than hootenanny!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to (another life time) have 2 owls outside my hut small home on Lake Langano in Ethiopia. I think they were after the bats that lived in the belfry eaves of the place that used to swarm out (hundreds of them) at dusk. When we finally got rid of the bats, which was a major thing, even the ceiling had to be replaced as we had about 500 pounds of bat guano sitting above our heads, the owls dissapeared. I almost wish that we had kept the bats.

Queenie
Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Whatever your rodent population may be, I'm pretty sure it'll be declining soon.

We have a lot of rodents around our house (our property backs onto a gulch which has a cockfighting chicken farm) and we'll occasionally see an owl. I usually see them near dawn in my peripheral vision while I'm out on the back lanai, and their silent fly-by never fails to scare the bejeezus outta me.

Houston's Rice University campus is in the middle of downtown (like Central Park in Manhattan) yet they have a huge owl population.
The owl we saw looked like one of these. Not sure if these are termed horned owls?
Old 08-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The owl we saw looked like one of these. Not sure if these are termed horned owls?
Nords owls look like screech owls. The other owl is a barred owl, I think.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #15
gone traveling

More weirdness going on with this owl. Every night for the past 3 nights at approx same time (8 - 8:15 PM), we hear a thump coming from our living room window and each time I jump up to see what hit the window, and find the owl is there, sitting on a patio chair. The living room is dark, our cats are not in the room, so I'm not sure whether he is chasing something into the window or whether he is just trying to fly thru as if there was no window at all. He'll sit on the chair for a few minutes and then flies off.

Also, I think Travelover got it right, this is a screech owl. No sceeching going on however.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

DFW, I think your patio owl is not so wise about the see through concept of glass.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Had monster dead owl in my front yard and had been hearing them as late as 10 AM. it was a sign for me to cover the dog run since the dead one could have either picked up or killed and disassembled one of my toy dogs.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #18
gone traveling

Update: I discovered the owl is nesting in a holly tree right off our patio. He/she was sitting on a branch near the nest and is very hard to see. Also, thought some more about the hitting the window thing and suspect the owl may be going after geckos. We have lots of those and they crawl all over the house, the windows and garden beds. We also have quite a few squirrels, but am not seeing them around much lately
Old 08-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #19

Owls are so KOOL, I have Barn owls in the barn, Screech owls, Great horned, and Elf owls. In the winter there is a roost of 20-36 Long eared owls, above me on the butte.

Screech owl in the barn

grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Also, thought some more about the hitting the window thing and suspect the owl may be going after geckos.
That must be one hungry owl. I can't imagine our local owls supporting themselves on the Gecko Diet.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote