Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever
Idiocracy NEA at work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Fixed it for you.
Yea, it is all the teachers' fault. They should go home with these kids at night and make them do their homework instead of playing video games. Lazy bums.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Yea, it is all the teachers' fault. They should go home with these kids at night and make them do their homework instead of playing video games. Lazy bums.
I'm not entirely sure that explains the equally goofy responses gathered in various similar surveys from older people. Eventually we can blame dementia, but that doesn't cover the 40-60 year olds very well.

Then again, all these polls and surveys rely on statistics, which as a form of applied mathematics, a known science, is suspect.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Meh. I don't think it is a secret that I think most of my fellow Merkins are as ignorant as the average trailer park denizen. This is nothing new. Classical education is dead. You think more than half a percent or so of high school kids are reading Cicero in Latin? How many of them read and critique Shakespeare's work? How many of them can spell "exigesis" let alone do it? So it goes. Presumably I am quite ignorant of things that matter to others. I would not have the faintest idea how to write a line of code these days (that intro Comp Sci class was a looonnnggg time ago). Ah well. So long as they service the national debt I won't complain too loudly.

Maybe that is why I get along with the blue collar/redneck set best these days: nobody expects them to be more than room temperature bright with anything more than a shotgun or a pickup. The key to happiness is low expectations.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Who is Brad Pitt?

My doppelgänger...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:01 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
How many of them can spell "exigesis"
Probably fewer than you think.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:23 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Heh, very good. Bourbon fuelled rants are always perilous.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Ask the person on the street" type surveys are always skewed. After all, they can just edit all the correct answers. The correct answers are not entertaining video, so my guess is we don't see the students who actually knew the right answers to the political and historical questions.

Another thought: Perhaps they should try interviewing the students that are actually in the library studying.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:17 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
"Ask the person on the street" type surveys are always skewed. After all, they can just edit all the correct answers. The correct answers are not entertaining video, so my guess is we don't see the students who actually knew the right answers to the political and historical questions.

Another thought: Perhaps they should try interviewing the students that are actually in the library studying.
Plus students are another subgroup that tends to get caught in voter suppression schemes and this kind of stunt plays to the crowd that thinks that they shouldn't be voting anyway.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

These types of interviews are done frequently on college campuses by fellow poli-sci students, especially during election season.

Honestly, you could do this interview anywhere in America, with any age group, and put together a similar video.

Do not fret, though. I can say with certainty that my kids (in their teens) and all of their visiting friends could easily answer all of these questions. I know because after seeing this post, I asked them all last night at dinner. I even asked them to name the Supreme Court justices, the House speaker, the Secretary of State, and what was the Emancipation Proclamation and they got all those, too.

What the OP's video did not show, was the folks that were interviewed and knew the answers.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post

I agree that it would be a pretty boring segment if they showed mostly correct answerers. In the News12 (Long Island) "On the Spot" segment, they do show Lily Solzberg getting correct answers along with those answering incorrectly. But we would have no way of knowing if there were 10 correct answerers and 3 morons and all we got to see was one correct answerer and the 3 morons.

If I ever got on that segment, Lily's topic that week would probably be something I know little or nothing about, like popular TV shows (which I have no interest in), and look like an idiot.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Very sad as well as very funny. I enjoy seeing my fellow Americans make total fools of themselves.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #52

Believe me, the US has no monopoly on ignorance or foolishness. In fact, I think it's a most common human condition and will be found everywhere. We do seem to enjoy ours, instead of hiding it like others we shine a spotlight on it and laugh at ourselves.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Very true.
I think the main reason these things are so funny/tragic/incredible is because these are not the sort of people we tend to associate with.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Free View Post
What the OP's video did not show, was the folks that were interviewed and knew the answers.
I strongly suspect that you are correct. Where's the entertainment in correct answers?
Old 11-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

An older video. Harvard grads are smart, too:
Old 11-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Meh. I don't think it is a secret that I think most of my fellow Merkins are as ignorant as the average trailer park denizen.
How many of them know what a merkin actually is? And you call yourself one.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Freezing up when asked to speak in public is not that unusual and if they throw out a question for a time period you weren't expecting 0 no brainfreeze.
Didn't SOutherners call the Civil War something else..war of aggression or just "The Rebellion" and they probably don't think it is over.
If one of you wants to try to explain Syria to me I'll listen.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:01 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Took me a while to get that one. Looks better to me the way Brewer spelled it.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Didn't SOutherners call the Civil War something else..war of aggression or just "The Rebellion" and they probably don't think it is over.
It is referred to in certain parts as The War of Northern Aggression.

It was several years ago that I received quite the history lesson from Leonidas after referring to the Civil War. He hasn't posted recently but still stops by now and then.

Suffice it to say that in Texas the point of view is markedly different than in say, New York.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #60

Do Americans even need an education anymore? I am thinking that education may be obsolete.

We can get technical folks from India. We can get labor from Mexico. We can outsource all manufacturing to China. We can get medical professionals from many countries, Liberia, India, Philippines, Israel, etc.

We really do not need to work here anymore. There are huge safely nets, so no one will ever starve, or be homeless. Medical care is not an issue.

Why would/should anyone care who the elected officials are?

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote