Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #21

Sure my spouse annoys me sometimes. I'm sure I annoy him even more. But he's the guy I chose to marry, and I love him. If he's annoying me, I tend to find a different part of the house to be in, or a reason to be out of the house.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No, she's swell.

She's still working a few days per week from home. So we have ~6 hours 3-4 days/wk where we aren't "together" other than popping out to chat for a minute or having lunch.

When she's busy with work, I'm busy with activities where she's not required. Reading a book, having lunch with my friends, volunteering, killing bad guys in a video game, walking/hiking, watching tv shows she doesn't care for, etc.

So far it's working out pretty well. I'm sure once she quits work, we'll adjust to have his/hers/our time the same way. I hope.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

My mother worried about that. But my father took up golf before ER. Problem solved.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
There is NO way I could share my space.
Except with cats eh? I'm with you on that!
Old 12-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Don't even get me started. During retirement it is critical to spend just as much time away from one's spouse as when you were working. Trust me on this. I play golf, ride my motorcycle and find activities that take me out of the house. Love my wife with all my heart but not meant to be together 24/7.
This is definitely a YMMV issue (or, at least I hope so!). One of the reasons that we are so looking forward to retirement is that we will finally be able to see each other for a meaningful amount of time every day--in fact, with the travel plans, we will be 24/7 for large chunks of the year. Many (most?) people do stuff with same-sex friends without their spouse, but we neither one have gotten into that.... Then again, retirement may make DW realize that she needs some gal friends to get some time away from me.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I prefer to talk in a low voice from several rooms away, preferably with the dishwasher running, and get annoyed when DH doesn't hear me. It is a surefire way drive him crazy!
Did you learn this from my DW? Sometimes I can hear that she's talking so what to do? Ignore it and figure that if it's important it'll come up later? Or stop whatever I'm doing and walk to the room she's in and say "Did you say something?"

Another thing that happens is that I will be on the phone and she's in another room going on and on about something. Eventually she will find me, see that I'm on the phone, and say "Oh".

We've been married 48 years and the good overwhelms the small issues.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:03 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I'm sitting here listening to my wife talk to herself in the kitchen. She talks constantly--seldom shutting her mouth.

I used to talk some--until I retired--and now cannot get a word in edgewise. I just keep my mouth shut.
Didn't you post in another thread about falling from a ladder and breaking both legs? Coincidence? I think not.

Sometimes DW sings, not too well, but she's happy. I even find myself smiling when I hear her.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:04 PM   #28

We were lucky enough to both have an opportunity to work from home for the last 5 years so we've already test drove the 24x7 thing.

It works fine for us, but then neither of us are big talkers and we do have some separate activities that take us out of the house at different times.

Now his dad on the other hand drives me crazy!! He visits us every year at this time and spends about six weeks in our home. He has several OCD-related ticks (hums constantly, sucks his teeth, smacks his lips, etc.) He's a very sweet man but he's NEVER quiet. For this INTJ by the end of the six weeks I'm ready for a padded cell.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #29

The only time my wife annoys me is when she leaves the oven or stove on after shes done....and she does it about once a week. Other than that she is about as close to perfect as a wife couple possibly be.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

We both worked from home for awhile and we drove each other nuts. I just don't think there is enough outside interaction to keep one from not going nuts. Reality is I can't be trapped inside a place with a single person for 24 hours straight and they not annoy me to some degree. However, its easy to resolve.. we rented a place that has a large club house where one of us goes to work for several hours a day, we also picked up outside hobbies so we leave the house for several hours. Basically as long as we have "outside" stimulation for a few hours every day and thus it gives you things to talk about, experiences to share that are unique, we don't annoy each other. however if we sat around and did everything together.. we would drive each other bonkers running out of things to say or not say anything.. which isn't good either.

The old adage separation makes the heart grow funder.. well I think even in small doses its true. People in general are more interesting to be around when they have new experiences to share with you.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
You need to go back to work!
When I lived in Florida, a simple store front opened up advertising shoe repair. (Remember when we got shoes repaired?) So I go in to get my Florsheims fixed. It was a new business in a very simple, spare storefront with very old equipment.

He told me to wait, and started the repair, right there in front of me. While working we struck up a conversation. I asked him, "Why? Why this business?" (It was already getting obvious that shoes were becoming throw away.)

So he starts to tell me his story. He's 75 now. Worked the shop up on NYC for 60 years (started with his dad). They retired to FLA, but he drug along the machines for their eventual resale value -- or some such excuse.

He said after 1 week in FLA, he couldn't take his wife's talking anymore. They argued. He suggested he open up the shop again. And he did - just to get away from her.

He says he'd be lucky to break even. He was there for at least 2 years, and then I moved away. I always wonder what ultimately happened...

P.S. He did a FANTASTIC job on the resoling of my shoes.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:34 PM   #32

I was retired a while before DW retired. The whole day used to be spent doing whatever I wanted. Now DW wants to tag along on almost all of my adventures. But it takes her forever to get ready to go somewhere. Sometimes she's not ready to roll by 10 am. So my life has slowed down a lot by waiting.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 12-10-2015, 03:21 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Don't even get me started. During retirement it is critical to spend just as much time away from one's spouse as when you were working. Trust me on this. I play golf, ride my motorcycle and find activities that take me out of the house. Love my wife with all my heart but not meant to be together 24/7.

It is a documented fact that women talk three times as much as men. My wife says it is because we have to tell you everything three times.
Good thing DW and I play golf. That's 1/2 of the day that we spend time together already. I think I talk a bit more than DW does but talking frequency is never a problem. Talking content is, sometimes.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Did she not do this when you were first married? If so, why is it just now bothering you?
Old 12-10-2015, 04:01 PM   #35

When I was a child it used to bother me that my parents argued so often then one day when I was about 13 I came home from school and they were arguing about whether a certain container was a bottle or a jar. At that point I realized they really just enjoyed arguing with each other. They both passed away many years ago.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
REW, spoken like a wise man with years in the trenches!

I prefer to talk in a low voice from several rooms away, preferably with the dishwasher running, and get annoyed when DH doesn't hear me. It is a surefire way drive him crazy!
You my DW's lost twin sister?

I do the same at times to her, and she gets annoyed
Old 12-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I laughed out loud when I read the OP's post. But, with FIRE being only about 7 months out, that is one of my biggest fears. I asked DW a few weeks ago if she thought we would get on each other's nerves once were together 24/7. She didn't react too well to the question. Oh well, I do have a retirement project planned to remodel our covered patio (overlooking the pool) to build an outdoor kitchen with a 60" TV. All of that, with easy access to the beer fridge in the garage, and I should have a comfortable place of my own to hang out if I need to.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Did she not do this when you were first married? If so, why is it just now bothering you?
Gee, who could imagine a difference between one's feelings toward a 25 year old and a 55 year old?

Certainly not me.

Ha
Old 12-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Ha! - that's me too!

It has been about 20 years since I have lived with anyone full-time and at this point, I don't think I could share a living space with anyone, whether a romantic partner or otherwise. My hat is off to those of you who do it.
That's a big part of the reason that I knew that my current DW was THE ONE. I had been single for a long time, and couldn't picture living with anybody else, then she came along, and it felt different; just easy being together.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:40 PM   #40

Not an annoyance, but DW likes to talk to me from the kitchen when I'm in the den. I don't have good hearing anymore, so I can hear her speaking but cannot discern the words. One of the reasons I haven't gotten hearing aids yet