Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On her worst day DW annoys me far less than my last mangler on his best day.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrywilliam View Post
My husband constantly mumbles, moans and groans, and bitches while he is working on something.
Sounds like a perfectly normal guy to me.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Of course my wife annoys me......and I annoy her, too. We have what we and others call a great marriage, but there are always challenges. There is definitely different dynamics, roles, and issues in ER, but we are both learning, and we both love each other dearly.
48Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

According to my buddies at fishing camp in far NW Minnesota, the reason for the elaborate ice fishing houses on the lakes is that they are "marriage savers." In the midst of yet another bitter winter, the guys head out onto to the lake for the day, turn on the heater and the TV, pop open a beer and settle in for another day of wife-less fishing. DW stays home and curls up with a book enjoying having the grouchy old man out of the house. Win - win.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:23 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
According to my buddies at fishing camp in far NW Minnesota, the reason for the elaborate ice fishing houses on the lakes is that they are "marriage savers." In the midst of yet another bitter winter, the guys head out onto to the lake for the day, turn on the heater and the TV, pop open a beer and settle in for another day of wife-less fishing. DW stays home and curls up with a book enjoying having the grouchy old man out of the house. Win - win.
Basically the whole movie "Grumpy Old Men" was based on this premise.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't talked to the DW in the last three days, didn't want to interrupt her.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I haven't talked to the DW in the last three days, didn't want to interrupt her.

This is the honest truth here a few months ago, (not married, I have a SO for 9 years) while at a restaurant she was in the usual full blown talking mode. While listening, I needed clarification from a few points she had just said. She told me to quit asking questions as what she was saying not important..."Just listen to what I am saying, it isn't important that you understand it". Lesson learned...I guess....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:30 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
This is the honest truth here a few months ago, (not married, I have a SO for 9 years) while at a restaurant she was in the usual full blown talking mode. While listening, I needed clarification from a few points she had just said. She told me to quit asking questions as what she was saying not important..."Just listen to what I am saying, it isn't important that you understand it". Lesson learned...I guess....

tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:37 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

The OP needs one of these, the Spat Solver.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2f...ew?usp=sharing
hpnutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post

Very appropriate to just be the listener at that point in time. Good job! (take mental notes though..in case she asks for your opinion later)
Old 12-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Very appropriate to just be the listener at that point in time. Good job! (take mental notes though..in case she asks for your opinion later)

It confirmed a long held suspicion of mine Aja, that as long as she gets to talk, that is really the importance of the matter....Yet...One would just assume then she was just blabbering, and if I said that I would be in trouble! And yes, I get tested occasionally so I try to pay attention. But she is one of those people who likes to throw out names of various people at work and such that I do not even know who they are. I cant remember a name of a person I don't know and never seen. Yet I still get "in trouble" for not knowing who they are...

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpnutty View Post
The OP needs one of these, the Spat Solver.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2f...ew?usp=sharing

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

This thread is enlightening and hysterical.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Quest4Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:11 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

One of the worst mistakes a man can make is when DW or SO are talking about a problem they are having, the man hero leaps to the rescue and attempts to solve it for them.

They are not inteested in any solutions, they just want to talk about the problem!

Sigh, another one of life's brutal experiences
Old 12-13-2015, 09:27 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

IS, this is why I, and probably more than a handful of my fellow female posters here, can have a hard time understanding our girl friends when they do this. I am a problem solver, and cannot for the life of me understand the "bitching for the sake of bitching" nature of some of our conversations.
Just so you know not all of us share this most peculiar trait!

However I entirely own the "whispering from another room" trait, rather proudly.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

However I entirely own the "whispering from another room" trait, rather proudly.
I thought I needed hearing aids until I figured this (^^) out.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
One of the worst mistakes a man can make is when DW or SO are talking about a problem they are having, the man hero leaps to the rescue and attempts to solve it for them.

They are not inteested in any solutions, they just want to talk about the problem!

Sigh, another one of life's brutal experiences
It took me 30 years and two wives to really understand this.

travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Some men do this too. I am thinking of one in particular, who jumps out of my car as soon as I have it in park and starts walking off while talking. I'm shutting off the engine, getting my purse, taking off my sunglasses and putting them away, opening my door, getting out... and he is still walking off while talking to me in a soft, normal voice. He doesn't realize how far away he is if he isn't looking at me.

So, I just call out "HEY! Can't hear you way over there" and he will very nicely walk back and repeat what he said. Problem solved with minimal annoyance.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #99
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
It took me 30 years and two wives to really understand this.

Had me laughing out loud, so true! They really hit the nail on the head with this one! (sorry).
Old 12-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #100
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest4Fire View Post
This thread is enlightening and hysterical.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

+1
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote