Join Early Retirement Today

Dog barking - reality check
Old 01-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dog barking - reality check

How do you folks deal with annoying, intrusive, long-lasting noises coming from neighboring or adjoining rooms/units/spaces when traveling?

Right now I am staying in a small studio apartment I rented through Airbnb, and I've been pretty happy here up until a few hours ago. That's when my neighbors in the next unit (we share a common wall) went out and left their dog behind, and that dog has been barking off and on for pretty much the entire time. It's not constant... there will be 3-5 minute spurts of barking followed by 15 or 20-minute periods of peace and quiet. But those 5 minute barking campaigns feel more like 5 hours to me. Dog barking is one of those things that really grates on my nerves if it goes on for more than a minute or so.

My neighbors are in clear violation of the "house rules" that the Airbnb host has listed for this property. Dogs are allowed, but the rules state that guests must not leave their dogs unattended when they go out.

What should I (or can I) do in this situation? I could go out somewhere for a few hours and hope the situation resolves itself when the dog's owners return. I could call the Airbnb host and inform him of the problem, and suggest that he get in touch with the dog's owners and ask them to go back and take care of it. Or I could do nothing and just try to ignore it as best I can. Maybe put on some earphones and listen to music, for example.

What would you do? Is this just one of the unfortunate realities of traveling, or more generally, of living in a society where not everyone is a conscientious, considerate neighbor? How much control should we expect to have over the external noises that invade our peace and quiet? I'm honestly very perplexed by a) how much this is bothering me and b) how much this should be bothering me.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2017, 03:06 PM   #2

Definitely contact the host to inform them. Perhaps they can do something and should want you to be satisfied.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #3

That would drive me crazy. I'm one for immediate action on such things. I would call the Airbnb host and tell him (not suggest) that he take care of it. If it persists, get a refund, find another place, and write a bad review. No one needs that.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:08 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd call the owner in a heartbeat. Their lack of consideration has created a burden on you, or maybe they don't know their dog barks a lot when they're gone. In the first case, you get to spread that grief around because screw them for forcing their noise pollution on you, and in the other maybe they'll be considerate enough to figure out a way to keep the dog happy and more quiet while they're away.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:08 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sound like your neighbors are in clear violation of house rules. I would notify the host and make sure it's dealt with quickly. If it is not then I would insist on a refund or I would report the host to Airbnb. I would not put up with that kind of noise especially when it's specifically forbidden by house rules and you shouldn't either. By letting people get away with that kind of thing, you only make the problem worse by condoning it. Best of luck.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
My neighbors are in clear violation of the "house rules" that the Airbnb host has listed for this property. Dogs are allowed, but the rules state that guests must not leave their dogs unattended when they go out.
But you don't know if the folks in the next unit (with the dog) are using AirBnb, right? Does the owner of your unit also own the unit with the dog? If not, if the folks with the dog own the place, who knows what the apartment rules are regarding unattended dogs.
Your recourse is through AirBnB and the person you rented from. Notify them of the problem and request that they take action or give you a refund. If you don't want a refund (because moving would be a hassle/getting another place now would be very expensive), then you are probably stuck.
Do you know that your host is even allowed to sublet through AirBnB to others? If not, he's highly unlikely to draw attention to his use of the property by calling the neighbors or the apartment management.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
That would drive me crazy. I'm one for immediate action on such things. I would call the Airbnb host and tell him (not suggest) that he take care of it. If it persists, get a refund, find another place, and write a bad review. No one needs that.
Absolutely. I'd be complaining in a few minutes for that foolishness.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #8

You are staying in a small studio apartment, not a hotel or a house. People live there and the walls are common. In your shoes, I would e-mail or call the owner and let him know the neighbor's dog is barking constantly and ask if he can talk to the neighbor. If not, I think it's a bit over the top to demand a refund.

In your shoes, I would leave a review stating that while the property is nice, (assuming it is), the barking dog is a problem for people that are sensitive to that type of noise. Next time you rent a room or apartment through AirBnB, tell the owner you are sensitive to barking and ask if that's a problem with that rental.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't understand how/why the AirBnB owner would help. Unless they also own the neighboring apartment, your issue is with the neighbors not the owner. Ask the neighbors politely to do something about it (maybe leave a note on the door). Not much else you can do.
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
I don't understand how/why the AirBnB owner would help. Unless they also own the neighboring apartment, your issue is with the neighbors not the owner. Ask the neighbors politely to do something about it (maybe leave a note on the door). Not much else you can do.
If I owned/rented an apartment and my neighbor was renting his out through AirBnB so that I constantly had strangers next door, I would not put myself out to assure that the overnight tenants had good things to report. In fact, it would be in my interest to assure that every tenant had a nasty review to write and the place remained unoccupied as much as possible. Heck, there may not even >be< a dog, it's probably just an MP3 player on a loop.
Quote:
How do you folks deal with annoying, intrusive, long-lasting noises coming from neighboring or adjoining rooms/units/spaces when traveling?
We stay in hotels. If there's a problem like this, I call the front desk and ask them to either get the noise stopped or move us to another room. I'm (normally) not going to confront the people next door. I'm paying the hotel for a room that I can enjoy, and it is within their power to provide it, With AirBnB, you pay someone for use of their property, but (as we see here) it is >not<within their power to provide a room that meets your requirements in every way. Your situation is more complicated because the rights/understandings/authorities are unclear.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Bark back at the dog.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Easy! I don't travel. But that's my choice and not the choice of most people here.

The type of noises you describe can be a real problem when traveling because you are in unfamiliar surroundings where you don't know what to expect. Yet experiencing different surroundings than what you have at home, is part of traveling and what draws some people to travel. You're not traveling to forcefully transform your destination into your home; you're traveling to broaden your horizons and experience some sights, sounds, smells, customs, mannerisms, language, and situations that are different, right? Well for some people anyway. Just something to think about.

One approach is to just get mellow, blow it off, and focus on the more enjoyable aspects of your trip. If it gets really bad, you could cancel your AirB&B and go get whatever hotel room you think may be quieter. That might cost a bit more.

Probably the worst approach would be to get confrontational, yell at or punch the person making the noise, call the cops, and so on. That could possibly have less than optimal results.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Bark back at the dog.
Slide a thin tray under the door and fill it repeatedly with beer.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:30 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
I'd call the owner in a heartbeat. Their lack of consideration has created a burden on you, or maybe they don't know their dog barks a lot when they're gone. In the first case, you get to spread that grief around because screw them for forcing their noise pollution on you, and in the other maybe they'll be considerate enough to figure out a way to keep the dog happy and more quiet while they're away.
The OP said it was the neighbors dog, not the owners dog.

I'd give the owner a call to give him/her a chance to fix the issue. But I'd never book that location again regardless.

I've never used airbnb, and probably never will. Once again, you get what you pay for...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:01 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
But you don't know if the folks in the next unit (with the dog) are using AirBnb, right? Does the owner of your unit also own the unit with the dog? If not, if the folks with the dog own the place, who knows what the apartment rules are regarding unattended dogs.
I also wondered how the owner could possibly control the neighbor's dog.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The OP said it was the neighbors dog, not the owners dog.

I'd give the owner a call to give him/her a chance to fix the issue. But I'd never book that location again regardless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
To clarify, the unit next to mine with the barking dog is owned by the same Airbnb host as mine. I am not 100% sure the people rented it through Airbnb, but it seems likely since all of the apartments here on the property are listed on Airbnb (I checked).

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
We stay in hotels. If there's a problem like this, I call the front desk and ask them to either get the noise stopped or move us to another room. I'm (normally) not going to confront the people next door. I'm paying the hotel for a room that I can enjoy, and it is within their power to provide it, With AirBnB, you pay someone for use of their property, but (as we see here) it is >not< within their power to provide a room that meets your requirements in every way. Your situation is more complicated because the rights/understandings/authorities are unclear.
Yeah, Airbnb certainly does have some drawbacks when it comes to situations like this, but ultimately, Airbnb hosts want to be very responsive to guests in order to avoid bad reviews. Even a few bad reviews can cost Airbnb hosts hundreds of dollars (or more) in lost revenue, particularly in competitive, busy markets. I don't expect Airbnb hosts to provide accommodations that meet my needs in every single way, but I have very rarely stayed in a hotel room that did that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
One approach is to just get mellow, blow it off, and focus on the more enjoyable aspects of your trip.
This is what exactly I've been trying to do. Take a more philosophical "zen" approach, try to feel sympathy for the poor dog, and realize that none of this is actually harming me in any tangible way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Slide a thin tray under the door and fill it repeatedly with beer.
Hahah! Very creative solution.

Update:
I went out for a while to do some local sightseeing (not just to get away from the dog), and since I've been back the dog seems to have calmed down. I've only heard a little bit of barking, two or three times for about 15 seconds over the past half hour. The dog's owners are definitely not back, though, because I notice their car is still gone from the small parking lot in front of the building. There are only three units in this building, so it's pretty easy to tell who's in and who's not by quickly surveying the parking lot.

Thanks for all the responses so far.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:01 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Well glad you went out, that is what I would have done, after all, you are a tourist are you not ??
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:40 AM   #18

I would also contact the owner and Airbnb, plus I always carry industrial grade soft foam ear plugs.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:13 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I"d call the person you rented from. Then if no response, the cops. Most towns have ordinances about dogs barking all hours.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:59 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I rented a room at a B&B once. In the middle of the night I was sure I heard a dog barking. Turned out it was the lady on the bottom.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote