Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-15-2019, 07:57 PM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

Not only will it help with issues described above, but also reduces problems with prostate issues when they are older. As a young dog, they recover much quicker from anesthesia and surgery than an older dog who now has an enlarged prostate and must be neutered. (Retired veterinarian)
sunandfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2019, 08:12 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
T The only other behavior that kind of bugs me a little, is he will follow me all around the house and is by my side constantly. This might possibly have something to do with separation anxiety as my DD works a lot, and he probably does not like being left alone.
LOL...not separation anxiety. It's what Labs & Golden Retrievers do. Our first Golden was always underfoot at first. Was driving me crazy. Nose open the bathroom door to see if you were "OK". Sleep on the bed. Room to room. Under the desk at the home office. Nose in my lap at dinner. Right next to me sitting up in my pick up. Now after many Goldens I miss it if they are not around. Our last one is 14. I really want to get a "spare". But probably not happening right now

edit: I was just on the patio enjoying the evening with Oden the Shedder. I walk inside to floss as I had something in my teeth. He came in about 30 secs later
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:48 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can’t move without my 3 dogs.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:33 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

DS got his dog neutered to cut down his aggression. His dog found out all about female dogs and would get really belligerent with other males after that. The neutering seems to have done the trick...
Old 06-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #25
gone traveling

Thanks all for your comments, it looks like the cone of shame will be in his future shortly.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:06 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Really don't like using the cone----- you can get an inflatable donut for around the neck.

While I am fully on board with neutering, there are many studies that suggest allowing the testes to mature on males will provide better hormone levels for bone building etc. Similar with females going through 1 cycle.

We waited until 18 months on our Old English per our purchase agreement and the possibility of going to show. Most every other male has been approx. 12 months and the girls around 6-8 months. Been the pattern even back to the 1970s dogs.
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Jim, is right about the growth issues. We now wait until they are a year old to do it. My little boy Maltese was marking a lot and I wanted to kill him.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #28

Ok, if and when you neuter your dog, please do the right thing and give him these: https://www.neuticles.com
Old 06-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #29

DW TNRs (trap, neuter, return) cats in the metroplex. She goes into to a rage when she finds well-meaning people feeding ferals who have litter after litter. The average lifespan of a feral is 3-5 years and a tough life it is. Always hungry, sometimes sick or hit by a car. So, please adopt one from the animal shelter if you want a cat and get it spayed/neutered. Same goes for dogs.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #30

We just had a 12 year old border collie neutered! Now that was not the original purpose of the surgery. He had a perineal hernia. The Vet said that many older male doge that have not been neutered develop one and it is why he advises his clients to have their dogs fixed. He neutered the dog and fixed the hernia in one surgery.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #31
gone traveling

Here is a pic of my little buddy:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0544.jpg (424.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #32

Those wide open eyes are saying, "You started a thread about WHAT"
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Another benefit is the reduction in possibility of prostate among other issues.
Quote:
Neutering your male dog or cat prevents testicular tumors and may prevent prostate problems. Neutering also decreases the possibility of perianal tumors and hernias, which are commonly observed in older, unaltered dogs. Because neutered cats are less likely to roam, the threat of abscesses caused by bites and diseases transmitted by fighting are greatly reduced.
https://www.brown.edu/Research/Colwi...spaynueter.htm
Old 06-17-2019, 03:31 PM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Those wide open eyes are saying, "You started a thread about WHAT"
LOL, he is always very sweet and bright eyed which makes me feel loved, although he might not be too happy with me after the surgery.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:30 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
LOL, he is always very sweet and bright eyed which makes me feel loved, although he might not be too happy with me after the surgery.
That'll last 10 minutes. Koda was so happy to leave ARF that he jumped into my lap. He sees me as his 'protector.' FWIW if you think it'll stop him from marking or humping, you're mistaken. It just stops too many pups
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:32 AM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Ok, if and when you neuter your dog, please do the right thing and give him these: https://www.neuticles.com
That's nuts.

$300+ a pair, installation not included.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:19 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

My dog stopped humping once fixed and the marking decreased a good deal.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:36 PM   #38

At 18 months, I think you waited too long to make any effect on marking and humping.

I'd say if the dog already humps and/or marks, it's too late. Even aggressiveness, if displayed, won't be reduced much if at all.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

My friend fixed hers at 3 and while it didn’t all go away it decreased considerably. It is certainly better for the dog to be fixed. Mine was 11 months and the difference was huge. In the future I would do it sooner.