Join Early Retirement Today

Dog Neutering?
Old 06-15-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
gone traveling

Dog Neutering?

For the dog experts, are there clear benefits to neutering a male dog besides the obvious inability to reproduce. My DD is living with us temporarily and she has a 18 month old Corgi. The vet is advising neutering him and says it will make him a better pet. The only issue I see is that he likes to mark everywhere when on a walk.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2019, 07:36 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DS got his male Ridgeback neutered to deal with marking indoors. Helped, but did not stop it entirely.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:49 AM   #3

I’m not sure with a dog, the the marking thing was definitely different (stopped) with a male cat. The other thing is that it may calm them down (less aggressive) and sorry, but it make keep them from humping your leg (again, sorry). Though I’ve seen that behavior with female dogs as well.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our vet recommended that we get our new Lab puppy neutered. He said he felt it made male dogs less aggressive and easier to train. (Hurts me to think about it, but we had it done anyway) Labs are not "usually" that aggressive anyway so I can't tell if it made a difference in that respect but he sure was easy to train.

I told my DW not to get any bright ideas and that she's just going to have to live with "my" aggressive behavior and at this point, I can't be trained anyway.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Definitely helps their behavior. Works with people too.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:58 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We always neuter at a year. Really cuts down on marking and humping.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #7

Male dogs will mark - outside particularly. They are just leaving a message for other dogs that they are in the neighborhood. Neutering should help with marking indoors. I had heard that humping is not a sexual or dominance thing. It is an expression of delight. Both males and females will hump if overstimulated. That means, they are excited by the playing they are involved in.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #8

It's irresponsible to have an unaltered pet. Every accidental litter displaces pets in shelters that are then euthanized because there are not enough homes to go around. Spay and neuter all of your pets, please.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #9

It certainly will make the dog less aggressive . They seem more laid back .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Our vet recommended that we get our new Lab puppy neutered. He said he felt it made male dogs less aggressive and easier to train. (Hurts me to think about it, but we had it done anyway) Labs are not "usually" that aggressive anyway so I can't tell if it made a difference in that respect but he sure was easy to train.
He was afraid you would do it again.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Every cat/dog we have had has been spayed or neutered. Less aggression and trying to get out when female or other females around who are in heat, more calm (in my experience) and healthier for them per our vet and what I've read in the past. Unless you are planning on taking responsibility for every unplanned litter, it is the most responsible thing a pet owner can do, again, in my opinion.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #12
gone traveling

The dog is housebound except when getting walked on a leash, so I do not have concerns about unwanted litters, so in this situation calling it irresponsible seems a bit extreme to me. We are not getting any marking in the house and the dog behaves very well and is quite sweet, although we do run into other dogs on walks who seem out of control. I suppose we will go ahead and get him fixed just in case his behavior becomes more aggressive with age. The only other behavior that kind of bugs me a little, is he will follow me all around the house and is by my side constantly. This might possibly have something to do with separation anxiety as my DD works a lot, and he probably does not like being left alone.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

There are so very many unwanted animals. I really hope you do neuter your DD's dog.

If there ever is a female in heat in yir area, an unneutered male may well run off to get to her, and is therefore at risk of being injured in a fight with other males as well. Also, marking behavior will be in excess of whatever is usual during such a time, and may occur indoors as well. The mating instinct is just that strong when a female in heat is nearby.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadogmamacat View Post
There are so very many unwanted animals. I really hope you do neuter your DD's dog.
+1

There's literally no reason not to. Or I guess, no good one. The only reason not to neuter would be if you intended to breed, but I personally don't condone that at all.

Adopt rescues, spay/neuter.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #15

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 6.36.57 PM.png
Old 06-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #16

I neutered Koda only bc theres too many dogs. He still marks & humps as much as before but can't reproduce. Grandson picked up volunteering at the SF Shelter to get animals socialized for adoption. Says the sheer # breaks his heart.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:58 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

You may want to check your state or local laws. There are laws that require all animals to be spayed/neutered unless you are a licensed breeder. Please neuter. There are too many animals.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
The only other behavior that kind of bugs me a little, is he will follow me all around the house and is by my side constantly. This might possibly have something to do with separation anxiety as my DD works a lot, and he probably does not like being left alone.
Well there you go. Just make sure he knows who did the deed and he'll think twice about following you around any more.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Our vet recommended that we get our new Lab puppy neutered.

Good advise as long as your vet is an unneutered male.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I had that on my office wall for years! Love it...
redshift is offline   Reply With Quote