Dog Neutering?

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
For the dog experts, are there clear benefits to neutering a male dog besides the obvious inability to reproduce. My DD is living with us temporarily and she has a 18 month old Corgi. The vet is advising neutering him and says it will make him a better pet. The only issue I see is that he likes to mark everywhere when on a walk.

DS got his male Ridgeback neutered to deal with marking indoors. Helped, but did not stop it entirely.

I’m not sure with a dog, the the marking thing was definitely different (stopped) with a male cat. The other thing is that it may calm them down (less aggressive) and sorry, but it make keep them from humping your leg (again, sorry). Though I’ve seen that behavior with female dogs as well.

Our vet recommended that we get our new Lab puppy neutered. He said he felt it made male dogs less aggressive and easier to train. (Hurts me to think about it, but we had it done anyway) Labs are not "usually" that aggressive anyway so I can't tell if it made a difference in that respect but he sure was easy to train.

I told my DW not to get any bright ideas and that she's just going to have to live with "my" aggressive behavior and at this point, I can't be trained anyway.

Last edited:
Definitely helps their behavior. Works with people too.

We always neuter at a year. Really cuts down on marking and humping.

Male dogs will mark - outside particularly. They are just leaving a message for other dogs that they are in the neighborhood. Neutering should help with marking indoors. I had heard that humping is not a sexual or dominance thing. It is an expression of delight. Both males and females will hump if overstimulated. That means, they are excited by the playing they are involved in.

It's irresponsible to have an unaltered pet. Every accidental litter displaces pets in shelters that are then euthanized because there are not enough homes to go around. Spay and neuter all of your pets, please.

It certainly will make the dog less aggressive . They seem more laid back .

Our vet recommended that we get our new Lab puppy neutered. He said he felt it made male dogs less aggressive and easier to train. (Hurts me to think about it, but we had it done anyway) Labs are not "usually" that aggressive anyway so I can't tell if it made a difference in that respect but he sure was easy to train.

He was afraid you would do it again.

Every cat/dog we have had has been spayed or neutered. Less aggression and trying to get out when female or other females around who are in heat, more calm (in my experience) and healthier for them per our vet and what I've read in the past. Unless you are planning on taking responsibility for every unplanned litter, it is the most responsible thing a pet owner can do, again, in my opinion.

The dog is housebound except when getting walked on a leash, so I do not have concerns about unwanted litters, so in this situation calling it irresponsible seems a bit extreme to me. We are not getting any marking in the house and the dog behaves very well and is quite sweet, although we do run into other dogs on walks who seem out of control. I suppose we will go ahead and get him fixed just in case his behavior becomes more aggressive with age. The only other behavior that kind of bugs me a little, is he will follow me all around the house and is by my side constantly. This might possibly have something to do with separation anxiety as my DD works a lot, and he probably does not like being left alone.

There are so very many unwanted animals. I really hope you do neuter your DD's dog.

If there ever is a female in heat in yir area, an unneutered male may well run off to get to her, and is therefore at risk of being injured in a fight with other males as well. Also, marking behavior will be in excess of whatever is usual during such a time, and may occur indoors as well. The mating instinct is just that strong when a female in heat is nearby.

There are so very many unwanted animals. I really hope you do neuter your DD's dog.

+1

There's literally no reason not to. Or I guess, no good one. The only reason not to neuter would be if you intended to breed, but I personally don't condone that at all.

Adopt rescues, spay/neuter.

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 6.36.57 PM.png

I neutered Koda only bc theres too many dogs. He still marks & humps as much as before but can't reproduce. Grandson picked up volunteering at the SF Shelter to get animals socialized for adoption. Says the sheer # breaks his heart.

You may want to check your state or local laws. There are laws that require all animals to be spayed/neutered unless you are a licensed breeder. Please neuter. There are too many animals.

The only other behavior that kind of bugs me a little, is he will follow me all around the house and is by my side constantly. This might possibly have something to do with separation anxiety as my DD works a lot, and he probably does not like being left alone.

Well there you go. Just make sure he knows who did the deed and he'll think twice about following you around any more. :)

Not only will it help with issues described above, but also reduces problems with prostate issues when they are older. As a young dog, they recover much quicker from anesthesia and surgery than an older dog who now has an enlarged prostate and must be neutered. (Retired veterinarian)

T The only other behavior that kind of bugs me a little, is he will follow me all around the house and is by my side constantly. This might possibly have something to do with separation anxiety as my DD works a lot, and he probably does not like being left alone.

LOL...not separation anxiety. It's what Labs & Golden Retrievers do. Our first Golden was always underfoot at first. Was driving me crazy. Nose open the bathroom door to see if you were "OK". Sleep on the bed. Room to room. Under the desk at the home office. Nose in my lap at dinner. Right next to me sitting up in my pick up. Now after many Goldens I miss it if they are not around. Our last one is 14. I really want to get a "spare". But probably not happening right now

edit: I was just on the patio enjoying the evening with Oden the Shedder. I walk inside to floss as I had something in my teeth. He came in about 30 secs later

Last edited:
DS got his dog neutered to cut down his aggression. His dog found out all about female dogs and would get really belligerent with other males after that. The neutering seems to have done the trick...

Thanks all for your comments, it looks like the cone of shame will be in his future shortly.

Back
Top Bottom