Join Early Retirement Today

Dogfight: How Apple & Google went to war and started a revolution
Old 12-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dogfight: How Apple & Google went to war and started a revolution

Just finished the book this afternoon, and found it very interesting. The book starts from 2007 (iPhone rollout) and on to present ending with convergence (tech & media) and the author's subtle prediction on who will win (not Apple).

You have to acknowledge how incredibly fast the integration of mobile devices into most peoples daily lives has been, and continues. PC's took far longer by comparison.

The book will undoubtedly be TMI for some, so here's the accompanying article for Cliff Notes fans.
Apple vs Google: Did Apple Learn Anything From Its War With Microsoft? | Wired Opinion | Wired.com

Quote:
Platform wars tend to be winner-take-all contests. If Apple’s and Google’s mobile platforms somehow harmoniously coexist, it will be a historical aberration.
Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook and others are mentioned, but not central to this book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MACSIP_BOOKS_COVER05.jpg (122.7 KB, 85 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

The article was an interesting read, I may follow up with the book.

Not sure I agree it is an all or nothing fight. We have plenty of mature industries with competition. Lots of different companies providing cars, TVs, refrigerators, etc. I think OSX, IOS, Android, Google, Linux and whatever comes along can all co-exist. The key is keeping the content transferable (and that happens most of the time), and apps available on all the platforms (pretty common) and enough different hardware that can run it all.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Apple has rarely gone for the cheaper part of the markets it's in. I remember Jobs saying they did not know how to build a notebook computer that wasn't junk. With that attitude it seems obvious that somebody else will capture the majority if the market with few exceptions like the iPod.

FWIW, I find
D the quality and security of Apple products offsets much of the extra cost. But if you don't have $1000 for a laptop, you can't get an Apple.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Not sure I agree it is an all or nothing fight. We have plenty of mature industries with competition. Lots of different companies providing cars, TVs, refrigerators, etc. I think OSX, IOS, Android, Google, Linux and whatever comes along can all co-exist. The key is keeping the content transferable (and that happens most of the time), and apps available on all the platforms (pretty common) and enough different hardware that can run it all.
History would suggest you're probably right on how this will ultimately play out, I hope so...

...but we're still somewhat in the VHS vs Beta stage with Apple and Google. People have a lot invested in iOS vs Google vs Amazon vs other right now in terms of music, movies, apps, etc. and associated hardware. Android and later Samsung have overtaken the iPhone, but we'll see if Apple can provide insanely great products without Steve Jobs. For now, there will have to be some losers before we get to a standard all are forced to adopt it would seem.

Other than a large iTunes music library (most ripped from CDs I own), I've been hesitant to buy much digital media (ie, books, movies, apps) for fear I'd have to buy it all again in 5 years.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I love the fact these mostly US companies are dominant and yet are continuously pushing the envelope. I want them to keep trading places to be #1 so I can be the winner ... me getting more for less. It's a quite a race and I'm going to be in front, not the tech companies I used to work for.

...a peculiarly bad attitude.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote