Dogs in Grocery Stores, Restaurants, Kitchens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow I doubt most so-called "therapy dogs" have much training.

Decades ago, in British Columbia, Vancouver TV ran a clip about a young girl who was subject to seizures and had to wear a helmet at all times in case she fell.

The family got a trained dog who could anticipate when she was about to have a seizure, (change in odor that the dog could detect), and would nudge her towards a couch.......girl, who couldn't identify what was about to happen, knew to trust the dog.

OP, I’m also a dog lover but don’t own any. I likely will after ER. I’m currently vacationing in a beach town in Oregon and there are dogs everywhere. I love it and find it refreshing; I often think modern Middle-American life is too sterile.

However, I’m also quite allergic to cats. DW went to some lengths to find a vacation house that had a strict no pets policy. I can appreciate how miserable it’d be if one needed to load up on anti-histamines every time they visited their local library or wanted to board a plane. But I get by well enough with drugs and avoidance techniques (I don’t even visit my mother’s house anymore).

On the whole, I’m strongly pro pets in public. I appreciate I’m in the small minority around here.

OP, I’m also a dog lover but don’t own any. I likely will after ER. I’m currently vacationing in a beach town in Oregon and there are dogs everywhere. I love it and find it refreshing; I often think modern Middle-American life is too sterile.

:confused:?

I don't understand. What about Middle-American life do you find sterile? How does having a dog fix the problem for you?

:confused:?

I don't understand. What about Middle-American life do you find sterile? How does having a dog fix the problem for you?

Seems all public’s places are squeaky clean. Most stores are too big, too brightly lit, and either lack personality or so full of kitsch as to feel contrived and inauthentic. When was the last time anyone bought ice cream from a vendor with flypaper festooned around his umbrella? Feels like decades since I’ve done that.

Dogs are the opposite: they shed and slobber and poop on the sidewalk. They’re never inauthentic. Like I said, I appreciate I’m in the minority.

Seems all public’s places are squeaky clean. Most stores are too big, too brightly lit, and either lack personality or so full of kitsch as to feel contrived and inauthentic. When was the last time anyone bought ice cream from a vendor with flypaper festooned around his umbrella? Feels like decades since I’ve done that.

Dogs are the opposite: they shed and slobber and poop on the sidewalk. They’re never inauthentic. Like I said, I appreciate I’m in the minority.
Personally I prefer wildlife to people’s pets.

Far more authentic.

My neighborhood has undergone intense gentrification over the past 10 years or so, 6 of these years after I moved here. Dogs are everywhere, always on leases to prevent them from getting out in the street and being killed. Compared to the countryside or many suburbs, it is very unlikely here to encounter an unleashed dog, or to be chased by a dog or a dog pack. However that does not mean that these dogs are under good control. An Alsatian on one of those wind up leashes is almost off leash. I was walking a few blocks to Trader Joe's this morning, and I found myself wishing that to get a permit for a dog in urban areas like mine, one needed to be certified by some meaningful test of handling that animal before the animal would be allowed on the sidewalks. These things would necessarily be expensive, which is often not a bad thing either.

I think laissez faire is incompatible with urban living. In fact, I am coming to think that laissez faire needs to be re-evaluated in any condition where one interacts with the public.

Ha

I think laissez faire is incompatible with urban living. In fact, I am coming to think that laissez faire needs to be re-evaluated in any condition where one interacts with the public.
Ha

"Hell is other people"

for any who may care to know, the term "therapy dog" or therapy cat" may be misunderstood (and also misused by some owners who themselves have no clue but like to take advantage) There are such animals as "certified therapy animals" who are not I repeat not for the "therapy" of the owner, but are trained, tested, and nationally valid certified to visit folks in facilities (the facilities also enter into contractual agreements with the pet therapy organizations). Anyone familiar with Children's Health Care of Atlanta, a children's hospital, may like to know it is one such facility. Home Depot has for going on 25 yrs allowed for the use of their stores for the training of such animals. How it has happened that dogs who have no business or capability to participate in this process also go into HD, I can only say it is the fault of their owners and the individual store managers, although perhaps the latter are overwhelmed, who knows. Again, sorry to hear this policy is being abused in some locations. my local stores seem to not have this problem, but then they know me as a trainer and owner of again "certified therapy animals"

"Hell is other people"
In the words of J P Sartre, "L'enfer, cést les autres.

Like many people, I think that I would be happier if I had dominion. Not going to happen, so I will never get to test this excellent idea. My life would be so much easier If my wishes could just take over a target's brain. How about old Moses? Just walk down to the shore and shazam, back go the waters.

Ha

Last edited:
Even Moses didn't always get his way. He always had to wait till God wanted certain miracles to happen.

In the words of J P Sartre, "L'enfer, cést les autres.

Like many people, I think that I would be happier if I had dominion. Not going to happen, so I will never get to test this excellent idea. My life would be so much easier If my wishes could just take over a target's brain. How about old Moses? Just walk down to the shore and shazam, back go the waters.

Ha

When was the last time anyone bought ice cream from a vendor with flypaper festooned around his umbrella? Feels like decades since I’ve done that.

Is flypaper a nostalgic thing for you?

I was walking a few blocks to Trader Joe's this morning, and I found myself wishing that to get a permit for a dog in urban areas like mine, one needed to be certified by some meaningful test of handling that animal before the animal would be allowed on the sidewalks. These things would necessarily be expensive, which is often not a bad thing either.

Ha

+1

Just the other night I was playing catch in a public park with a youngster. Of course, he missed quite a few of my throws and the ball rolled away. The city has a leash law and this is not an off-leash park. Yet, repeatedly we had to ask dog owners to control their off-leash dog and not let it chase down the ball and run off with it.

Last edited:
If it is a true service dog, it will be the most well behaved, most unflappable dog you ever have the experience to meet. You will meet that dog only after the "owner" has allowed the to accept your attention.

My last employer was a hardware store- with noisy things such as pipe threading machines- paint shakers that could shake 5 gallon buckets. We had 2 training agencies that asked our permission to bring their dogs in for evaluation and training, because we could provide strange noises.

One trainer who was in frequently, was responsible for evaluating puppies as candidates. I don't recall all details, but they stayed with her for about 3 -4 months just to be evaluated for their potential to even qualify for the having $$ spent on the training, from which they could still flunk out.

She didn't even pass 1 per year as I recall. But everyone of her flunkies were superbly well behaved. And for the dogs who were going to the next level, it was amazing to watch the dog ignore the desire of the little child who wanted to pet the dog.

These people with their "fake" service dogs really p*ss me off having watched what goes into the real thing.

Fake service dog prosecuted.

Attachments

• bad dog.jpg
    bad dog.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 18
As a dog, I think I can safely speak for all dogs. And, we are deeply offended to know you do not accept us as equals. After all, we thought we were your best friend! Imagine our surprise when we found you don't want us sniffing around your food. We only do it because we thought you liked it. And, we know you like being kissed in the face and humped on the leg! Go chase your own cars!

Edit to add: You guys can take care of your own cat problem going forward! Were done.

[emoji23]

On a walking trail last month (clearly marked as leashes required) I came upon a couple and the woman was sitting on the ground nursing her knee. From the conversation I clearly understood that the huge dog bounding about had knocked her down. The dog then ran at me and the man said, “don’t worry, he’s just being friendly.” I mean, WTF??

I couldn’t agree more. I love dogs and have a 13 lb rescue dog. We don’t know what happened to him before we got him, but he is standoffish with other dogs, and definitely hates being lunged at or even approached by a hyper dog. We live in an urban area and several times a week, various owners have their dogs off leash (contrary to the leash law). Their dogs run up to my dog and they can immediately tell neither my dog nor I is welcoming this behavior. They always say “don’t worry, my dog is friendly.” I tell them “well, my dog isn’t. He doesn’t like other dogs.” They look at me like my dog is the one with the problem.

Unbelievable how insensitive other people can be about the havoc their off-leash dogs create.

The fake service dog thing really irks me too. There are dogs in the grocery store regularly now. We’ve only flown with our dog once, and we paid for him to be in the cabin under the seat. It’s always obvious when the service dogs aren’t real. Real service dogs are VERY focused on their handler/owner, and won’t interact with others, let alone bark, wander off, have “accidents,” etc.

The whole emotional support animal issue is another ball game. Not sure what really qualifies someone for this legitimately other than maybe PTSD for a veteran. Plenty of people out there abusing it though.

I admit I don't get out much but here in small town Wisconsin I have never seen a dog in a restaurant or store(thankfully). True service dogs are well trained and not a problem in public places. I don't know of any reason a 'therapy animal' should be a thing but if it is then it should have to be well trained as well to qualify.

There is a difference between a therapy dog and an emotional support animal. My dog is a certified therapy dog, which required training and passing a test administered by Therapy Dogs International. The purpose of therapy dogs is to visit people in hospitals, nursing homes, schools, etc. to offer comfort. Therapy dogs do not fly free on planes, nor do they have anything to do with the ADA.

Emotional support dogs, on the other hand, can fly for free and stay in hotels/live in rentals that normally don’t allow pets. Their “rights” are like service dogs, but service dogs go through a rigorous 18-month plus training program. I’m not sure how an animal qualifies as an emotional support animal.

Unfortunately for those who want to abuse the system, it’s actually easy to buy even service dog credentials online. With the click of a mouse, you can get an official-looking ID card and a red vest just like a “real” service dog for $99.

I’m sure there really are emotionally troubled or otherwise afflicted people who would be helped by an emotional support animal but the abuse of the concept is pretty bad. I saw a woman with not one but two Pomeranians in little vests at the airport. The two dogs were in a loud knockdown drag-out fight with each other and she was not able to stop it. Her emotional state was off the charts thanks to her emotional support animals!

Unfortunately for those who want to abuse the system, it’s actually easy to buy even service dog credentials online. With the click of a mouse, you can get an official-looking ID card and a red vest just like a “real” service dog for $99.

It's a shame this goes on because many will wonder if a real service dog is the 'real' thing. But in today's world.....some people have no problem trying to beat the system.

This is all a result of the "be your own person, do your own thing" movement. Life used to be so enjoyable and simple when people had respect for others. Now we're expected to not only accept but to support other lifestyles that we don't agree with. And before anyone takes this the wrong way, when you bring a dog into your home you are changing your lifestyle.

I know! The horror!

Things were much better when we could pick and choose which lifestyles to accept and which ones to disrespect. :rolleyes::LOL:like people don't still do that now

I agree that pet ownership qualifies as a lifestyle.

Now we're expected to not only accept but to support other lifestyles that we don't agree with.

It's always going to be something. If it isn't poorly behaved animals, it's poorly behaved children or poorly behaved adults. The rules allowing them in there aren't the problem, the adults responsible for ensuring they behave properly and are taken care of appropriately are the problem.

This is all a result of the "be your own person, do your own thing" movement. Life used to be so enjoyable and simple when people had respect for others. Now we're expected to not only accept but to support other lifestyles that we don't agree with. And before anyone takes this the wrong way, when you bring a dog into your home you are changing your lifestyle.
When was this idyllic time exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom