Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Dogs in Grocery Stores, Restaurants, Kitchens
Old 06-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dogs in Grocery Stores, Restaurants, Kitchens

Lena was volunteering at a local festival, working in the town hall kitchen. There are strict rules from the health department: Hairnets required, gloves, special equipment, etc.

Someone was holding her dog in her arms. Lena told her dogs weren't allowed, and the woman replied, "The dog is registered."

I've also I've seen dogs in grocery stores and restaurants more frequently than before.

So, the question: Is this a health problem?

PS I'm a dog lover.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a problem.

Here in Florida the "fake service dog" has reached epidemic proportions. Every week I see 2 or 3 dogs that are obviously not service dogs at the grocery store. Just last week I saw one dog with its front paws on the meat container while its owner allowed it to sniff around the meat section and another dog had a very messy "accident' in the main aisle of the store. That owner promptly shrugged their shoulders and walked away leaving the mess behind. I've had dogs snap at me in the store while walking past and had others jump up on me. Owners usually dont like my pointed response.

I understand the comfort and love that a pet provides, but a lot of people are way over the top with their "fur kids" and not being able to be separated from them. In all seriousness, I honestly believe that if there was a fire and many of these people had to pick between saving their dog and a stranger's child, they would choose their dog.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

What the heck does "registered" mean? AKC, so it's got a pedigree? Or some sort of therapy animal certification? The latter is a hot topic right now because it can mean that you don't have to pay to take your doggie on planes with you. My stepdaughter is a high-powered attorney who travels with a small terrier that's supposedly a therapy dog. I don't know what her issues are other than that she spent a lot of her childhood in and out of hospitals dealing with severe asthma (1960s, when they didn't have much to manage it). I have to say the dog was well-behaved.

As far as it being a health problem- depends on what it does/where it goes. If it's in somebody's purse, that's one thing. If it's on a counter where food is served that's another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
In all seriousness, I honestly believe that if there was a fire and many of these people had to pick between saving their dog and a stranger's child, they would choose their dog.
But it's not a dog... it's a Furbaby!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Dog week here at the ER Forums.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is this a health problem?
Yeah, to some extent it is depending on the breed, how the dog is behaving and other misc circumstances. Dogs and their owners are highly variable in this regard. Since there is no way for the authorities to spell out all those details, generally dogs are excluded. I've noticed registered service dogs are generally exceptions.

I've also noticed that when we're camping, there is frequently a sign excluding dogs from the public restrooms/showers. No food involved there. But, I think the issue is that some folks don't like dogs in close proximity such as the aisle accessing the shower stalls (especially growling dogs or dogs that like to jump up on you, etc.).

I'm also a dog lover, but frankly would prefer to not have dogs accompanying owners in restaurants, groceries or confined public areas where I'd be forced to be nose-to-nose with their beloved puppies. Those encounters would likely be fine much of the time but I'm acquainted with dogs that I definitely wouldn't want in close quarters while I'm trying to enjoy a dinner out.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
This is a problem.

Here in Florida the "fake service dog" has reached epidemic proportions.
Here's an anecdotal example of this phenomena.......

Our 24 yr old nephew in Minnesota recently got his 50 lb mutt registered as a service dog. His excuse? It provides "emotional comfort." I'm not aware of nephew ever having treatment for emotional issues or advertising himself as having emotional issues, but there he is with a service dog to help him through those tough, emotional times!

In reality, he admits he did it because it allowed him to bring his dog with him to his new apartment where dogs were otherwise not allowed. And, surprise-surprise, it allows him to bring the dog into restaurants and other public places. He doesn't like to leave the dog at home or in the car alone because it tends to be very destructive in those circumstances.

It seems that "service dog registration" is running into the same problem as "handicap parking medallions:" lotsa cheats and fakers.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Dog week here at the ER Forums.
Yes, an extension of the ongoing bitch week.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
But it's not a dog... it's a Furbaby!
+1 If it's small enough to be carried, it's not a dog, it's a barking cat.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-19-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

So, the question: Is this a health problem?

PS I'm a dog lover.

Depends, where to they urinate?
Old 06-19-2018, 11:26 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

And if the dog poops while at the restaurant, is it acceptable to put the bag in their trash can or should the owner take the genuine "doggie bag" home to their own dumpster?
Old 06-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Depends, where to they urinate?
On the waitress's leg while she's leaning in to place your entree in front of you?
Old 06-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: the Florida comment above.

We have stopped shopping at Home Depots in St. Pete because they are full of dogs....many are Pit Bull mixes. Most have 25 feet plus leashes which makes it impossible to push a cart around as they block the aisles.

I was also on a United flight where an onboard "service dog" and an allergic nearby passenger created a discussion with the crew that delayed our flight 45 minutes (end result: the dog was staying no matter what, the other passenger was invited to leave the plane). Because of the length of discussion, we missed our connecting flight, resulting in a 5 hour layover in Houston.

If you can't leave your pet at home to run an errand or go out for an hour for lunch, then you have mistrained your pet or you have other issues that question whether you qualify as a responsible owner.

If you cannot fly without your pet, choose another method of transportation.

So yes, this service animal stuff is way out of control.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

The only time I ever got kicked out of a restaurant was in the Florida Keys where a group of us were hanging loose and had a dog with us. We went up to one of those "half-inside, half-outside" restaurants and snuck the dog in under a table. Once the owner found out, we were kicked out.

Us: "Hey Dude, it is The Keys. Hang loose?"

Owner: "Nope. No Dogs. See ya. Bye!"

As for campgrounds, there is a good reason to not have dogs in the human cleaning area. Dogs carry parasites. Many of these can be transferred through breaks in the skin. If people let the dog crap in the shower, that is a huge parasite problem.

I like animals, but this is out of control.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yes, an extension of the ongoing bitch week.
Statistically, wouldn't half be male dogs and not female .... ??

Old 06-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Is that a bitch or a pet peeve?
Old 06-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post

I think you've overlooked the 37 other, currently acknowledged, genders.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexexpat View Post

I was also on a United flight where an onboard "service dog" and an allergic nearby passenger created a discussion with the crew that delayed our flight 45 minutes (end result: the dog was staying no matter what, the other passenger was invited to leave the plane). Because of the length of discussion, we missed our connecting flight, resulting in a 5 hour layover in Houston.

If you can't leave your pet at home to run an errand or go out for an hour for lunch, then you have mistrained your pet or you have other issues that question whether you qualify as a responsible owner.

This makes me think, in any dispute the service pet person has an advantage as they are perceived as disabled, even if they don't have a disability placard. After all that is why they have the "service pet". So any airline/company will refuse the "normal" person as there is no chance of the ADA violation, and resulting lawsuit.

I'm thinking the best defense is to carry chocolates, put a chocolate down by your feet, and warn the dog owner not to let their dog eat it, so they will have to control the pet and not let it wander around the plane/theater/etc.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexexpat View Post
Re: the Florida comment above.

We have stopped shopping at Home Depots in St. Pete because they are full of dogs....many are Pit Bull mixes. Most have 25 feet plus leashes which makes it impossible to push a cart around as they block the aisles.

United??!! The person with the allergies is lucky the brass knuckles didn't come out.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Fake service animals are now the way for tenants to get around landlords' pet restrictions. Yet more reasons why we got out of the rental business for good.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #20

As a dog, I think I can safely speak for all dogs. And, we are deeply offended to know you do not accept us as equals. After all, we thought we were your best friend! Imagine our surprise when we found you don't want us sniffing around your food. We only do it because we thought you liked it. And, we know you like being kissed in the face and humped on the leg! Go chase your own cars!

Edit to add: You guys can take care of your own cat problem going forward! Were done.
Closed Thread