Dogs in Grocery Stores, Restaurants, Kitchens

Status
Not open for further replies.

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Lena was volunteering at a local festival, working in the town hall kitchen. There are strict rules from the health department: Hairnets required, gloves, special equipment, etc.

Someone was holding her dog in her arms. Lena told her dogs weren't allowed, and the woman replied, "The dog is registered."

I've also I've seen dogs in grocery stores and restaurants more frequently than before.

So, the question: Is this a health problem?

PS I'm a dog lover.

This is a problem.

Here in Florida the "fake service dog" has reached epidemic proportions. Every week I see 2 or 3 dogs that are obviously not service dogs at the grocery store. Just last week I saw one dog with its front paws on the meat container while its owner allowed it to sniff around the meat section and another dog had a very messy "accident' in the main aisle of the store. That owner promptly shrugged their shoulders and walked away leaving the mess behind. I've had dogs snap at me in the store while walking past and had others jump up on me. Owners usually dont like my pointed response.

I understand the comfort and love that a pet provides, but a lot of people are way over the top with their "fur kids" and not being able to be separated from them. In all seriousness, I honestly believe that if there was a fire and many of these people had to pick between saving their dog and a stranger's child, they would choose their dog.

What the heck does "registered" mean? AKC, so it's got a pedigree? Or some sort of therapy animal certification? The latter is a hot topic right now because it can mean that you don't have to pay to take your doggie on planes with you. My stepdaughter is a high-powered attorney who travels with a small terrier that's supposedly a therapy dog. I don't know what her issues are other than that she spent a lot of her childhood in and out of hospitals dealing with severe asthma (1960s, when they didn't have much to manage it). I have to say the dog was well-behaved.

As far as it being a health problem- depends on what it does/where it goes. If it's in somebody's purse, that's one thing. If it's on a counter where food is served that's another.

In all seriousness, I honestly believe that if there was a fire and many of these people had to pick between saving their dog and a stranger's child, they would choose their dog.

But it's not a dog... it's a Furbaby!

Last edited:
Is this a health problem?

Yeah, to some extent it is depending on the breed, how the dog is behaving and other misc circumstances. Dogs and their owners are highly variable in this regard. Since there is no way for the authorities to spell out all those details, generally dogs are excluded. I've noticed registered service dogs are generally exceptions.

I've also noticed that when we're camping, there is frequently a sign excluding dogs from the public restrooms/showers. No food involved there. But, I think the issue is that some folks don't like dogs in close proximity such as the aisle accessing the shower stalls (especially growling dogs or dogs that like to jump up on you, etc.).

I'm also a dog lover, but frankly would prefer to not have dogs accompanying owners in restaurants, groceries or confined public areas where I'd be forced to be nose-to-nose with their beloved puppies. Those encounters would likely be fine much of the time but I'm acquainted with dogs that I definitely wouldn't want in close quarters while I'm trying to enjoy a dinner out.

Last edited:
This is a problem.

Here in Florida the "fake service dog" has reached epidemic proportions.

Here's an anecdotal example of this phenomena.......

Our 24 yr old nephew in Minnesota recently got his 50 lb mutt registered as a service dog. His excuse? It provides "emotional comfort." I'm not aware of nephew ever having treatment for emotional issues or advertising himself as having emotional issues, but there he is with a service dog to help him through those tough, emotional times!

In reality, he admits he did it because it allowed him to bring his dog with him to his new apartment where dogs were otherwise not allowed. And, surprise-surprise, it allows him to bring the dog into restaurants and other public places. He doesn't like to leave the dog at home or in the car alone because it tends to be very destructive in those circumstances.

It seems that "service dog registration" is running into the same problem as "handicap parking medallions:" lotsa cheats and fakers.

Last edited:
And if the dog poops while at the restaurant, is it acceptable to put the bag in their trash can or should the owner take the genuine "doggie bag" home to their own dumpster?

Re: the Florida comment above.

We have stopped shopping at Home Depots in St. Pete because they are full of dogs....many are Pit Bull mixes. Most have 25 feet plus leashes which makes it impossible to push a cart around as they block the aisles.

I was also on a United flight where an onboard "service dog" and an allergic nearby passenger created a discussion with the crew that delayed our flight 45 minutes (end result: the dog was staying no matter what, the other passenger was invited to leave the plane). Because of the length of discussion, we missed our connecting flight, resulting in a 5 hour layover in Houston.

If you can't leave your pet at home to run an errand or go out for an hour for lunch, then you have mistrained your pet or you have other issues that question whether you qualify as a responsible owner.

If you cannot fly without your pet, choose another method of transportation.

So yes, this service animal stuff is way out of control.

The only time I ever got kicked out of a restaurant was in the Florida Keys where a group of us were hanging loose and had a dog with us. We went up to one of those "half-inside, half-outside" restaurants and snuck the dog in under a table. Once the owner found out, we were kicked out.

Us: "Hey Dude, it is The Keys. Hang loose?"

Owner: "Nope. No Dogs. See ya. Bye!"

As for campgrounds, there is a good reason to not have dogs in the human cleaning area. Dogs carry parasites. Many of these can be transferred through breaks in the skin. If people let the dog crap in the shower, that is a huge parasite problem.

I like animals, but this is out of control.

Statistically, wouldn't half be male dogs and not female .... ??

:cool::LOL:

I think you've overlooked the 37 other, currently acknowledged, genders. :LOL:

I was also on a United flight where an onboard "service dog" and an allergic nearby passenger created a discussion with the crew that delayed our flight 45 minutes (end result: the dog was staying no matter what, the other passenger was invited to leave the plane). Because of the length of discussion, we missed our connecting flight, resulting in a 5 hour layover in Houston.

If you can't leave your pet at home to run an errand or go out for an hour for lunch, then you have mistrained your pet or you have other issues that question whether you qualify as a responsible owner.

This makes me think, in any dispute the service pet person has an advantage as they are perceived as disabled, even if they don't have a disability placard. After all that is why they have the "service pet". So any airline/company will refuse the "normal" person as there is no chance of the ADA violation, and resulting lawsuit.

I'm thinking the best defense is to carry chocolates, put a chocolate down by your feet, and warn the dog owner not to let their dog eat it, so they will have to control the pet and not let it wander around the plane/theater/etc.

Re: the Florida comment above.

We have stopped shopping at Home Depots in St. Pete because they are full of dogs....many are Pit Bull mixes. Most have 25 feet plus leashes which makes it impossible to push a cart around as they block the aisles.

United??!! The person with the allergies is lucky the brass knuckles didn't come out. :bat::trash:

Reactions: jj
Fake service animals are now the way for tenants to get around landlords' pet restrictions. Yet more reasons why we got out of the rental business for good.

As a dog, I think I can safely speak for all dogs. And, we are deeply offended to know you do not accept us as equals. After all, we thought we were your best friend! Imagine our surprise when we found you don't want us sniffing around your food. We only do it because we thought you liked it. And, we know you like being kissed in the face and humped on the leg! Go chase your own cars!

Edit to add: You guys can take care of your own cat problem going forward! Were done.

Last edited:
This makes me think, in any dispute the service pet person has an advantage as they are perceived as disabled, even if they don't have a disability placard. After all that is why they have the "service pet". So any airline/company will refuse the "normal" person as there is no chance of the ADA violation, and resulting lawsuit.

I'm thinking the best defense is to carry chocolates, put a chocolate down by your feet, and warn the dog owner not to let their dog eat it, so they will have to control the pet and not let it wander around the plane/theater/etc.
FYI....said 'service dog' yapped the entire flight from TPA to IAH.

Here in California there are ADA trained/certified service dogs. And there are 'emotional support dogs' that require a note (theoretically) from the doctor or shrink. You can buy paperwork off a website....

I've seen more and more dogs at Home Depot, Costco, etc.

Most restaurants draw the line - and ask the service dog owners to sit outside on the patio. We do this at one of our favorite breakfast places....

As a landlord it gets even crazier... you can specify no pets. And the renter than can then show up with a pet - claiming it's an emotional support dog... and the landlord has no recourse. FWIW I love pets, but I also want to minimize damage to our granny flat... cat urine, specifically, can be horrendous to get out if it gets on drywall or seeps into grout between tiles.

We were those passengers once... We were relocating from Pennsylvania to California... Corporate move... Moving vans and car shippers had our stuff and we were flying with a baby and a cat. Cat was in an approved carrier. Had a ticket and vet paperwork. Safely stowed under the seat in front of me. Passenger sits down in the seat in front of me... starts sniffling.... I realize within 10 minutes the passenger had an allergy. I found the flight attendent and told her my suspicion. The passenger had no idea he was sitting on top of a cat he was allergic too. The flight attendant knew we had a cat, all above board, legal, not a service animal, not on our lap. She did the math and figured it was easier to move 1 passenger away from the cat than a family of 3 and a cat. She found him a nice seat about 10 rows away.

I felt really bad for the guy. But this wasn't a vacation, we were moving... so leaving the cat at home was not an option.

Incredible

It seems that "service dog registration" is running into the same problem as "handicap parking medallions:" lotsa cheats and fakers.

+1

When A sees B enjoying special treatment, A wants it too. Eventually everybody wants to be special.

Attachments

• syndrome.jpg
    syndrome.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 51
Interesting topic. Dogs vs. babies seems like a theme here so I'll lob in the grenade:

In a grocery store: Which is more unsanitary: a baby with a leaking diaper in the cart or a dog that would not willingly defecate in the cart? A child with the flu, cough or cold or a dog?

In a restaurant: Would you insist that a crying, screaming child or barking dog be removed or quieted? Which one would bother you more?

As a dog owner - I leave my dog home when I shop or eat. This also avoids the dog in hot car issue. As a mom, I was sorely temped a few times to tether my toddler to the cart rack outside the grocery store while I shopped in relative peace but... well... ;)

The take away for me is that parents and pet owners need to be aware of the impact their critters/progeny have on others in public spaces and accept some personal responsibility for this. Alas, I don't rule the world ;)

I was recently on a Southwest flight with a rat terrier/JRT mix and his owner occupying the aisle seat while I had the window seat. The flight was not full, so I benefited from the dog's presence, as no one wanted the middle seat.

Apparently, Southwest's policy of keeping animals in carriers that fit under the seat does not apply to service animals. A few months ago, I was on a full flight with a large Aussie shepherd mix. Somehow, the owner and dog got the exit row seats. We can only hope the dog read the evacuation information card...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom