Join Early Retirement Today

Dogs peeing on lawns
Old 06-15-2018, 06:25 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dogs peeing on lawns

We have lots of dogs in our neighborhood. I like dogs but I don't want to live with them also. What bothers me is that some people that walk their dogs in front of our house allows them to pee on my lawn. I take great pride in my landscape and spend many hours keeping up my lawn. The result of them urinating leaves a lot of dead spots due to the nitrogen in dogs pee. Not happy with this and have had words with those that allow this. What do others feel about this?
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2018, 06:28 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think there are worse things to worry about.
This should probably be in the Pet Peeve thread, no pun intended.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I think there are worse things to worry about.
I'm sure there is worse things to worry about but like I said I take great pride in my lawn and work hard at it. I think it is very rude.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:32 AM   #4

Not worth worrying about IMHO, but there are things you can do about it.

https://www.natureslawn.com/product/spotless-lawn/

Or even easier is to just pour a bucket of water on the spot right after the dog relieves itself. The culprit is the salt, not the nitrogen, and it's mainly a matter of diluting it.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:34 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Unless a dog pees in the exact same spot over and over again, your dead spots are from something else. I have a 100lb dog that has been peeing all over my back yard for 10 years. There is only one little spot that will turn brown in the heat of the summer for a few weeks which is the closest place for her to go where she goes all the time.

Anyways, life is too short to sweat this kind of stuff. I could understand if your neighbors were allowing their dogs to sh1t in your yard and not cleaning it up, but peeing? That's the whole point of walking a dog. What would you have them do, try and get them to pee in the street? Not going to happen, dogs won't do it.

I'd suggest setting a nice comfortable chair with a cooler on your front patio and sitting out there all day yelling at anybody walking by to stay off your yard. Be the stereotype, embrace it.
DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:41 AM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
I'm sure there is worse things to worry about but like I said I take great pride in my lawn and work hard at it. I think it is very rude.
I agree - it is very rude.

Most dog owners are good folks, clean up after their animals and keep off others' lawns. A few seem to think all of the outdoors is fair game.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:45 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

It could be worse, like on your leg.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:45 AM   #8

I must agree, dogs urinate. I am also frustrated with the dead grass spots, and mostly from my dog, but it is part of living with a dog or in a neighborhood.
RetireBy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:48 AM   #9

I don't know how it's physically possible to prevent ones dog from peeing as they walk along. (i don't have a dog). It's not rude, it's just nature. Leaving poop is rude, illegal, and nextdoor-rant-worthy.

If I were a dog out on a walk with my human, and I saw grass and went to pee in it, and they pulled me back to stop me, I'd be very confused.

My lawn is right next to the sidewalk (for us, the path divides the lawn from the swale, both of which are technically my lawn), the dog doesn't have any options really. I also have small trees along the edge within a leash-length from the pathway, so that's pretty much an invitation to dogs I guess.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:59 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Of course there are bigger things to worry about, but in that context almost everything we discuss here is trivial...

I’m a dog lover, but I think it’s rude too. We always let our dogs relieve themselves in our yard before we walked them. They might surprise us and relieve themselves on a walk, but rarely. Of course we pick up if possible.

Most of the dogs in our neighborhood don’t relieve themselves in others yards, thanks to considerate owners. If I see a dog (with an owner) relieving themselves in our yard, I’ll give the owner a brief chance to explain themselves, but I won’t hesitate to let them know I don’t appreciate it if they don’t offer an explanation/apology. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDubb View Post
Unless a dog pees in the exact same spot over and over again, your dead spots are from something else. I have a 100lb dog that has been peeing all over my back yard for 10 years. There is only one little spot that will turn brown in the heat of the summer for a few weeks which is the closest place for her to go where she goes all the time.

Anyways, life is too short to sweat this kind of stuff. I could understand if your neighbors were allowing their dogs to sh1t in your yard and not cleaning it up, but peeing? That's the whole point of walking a dog. What would you have them do, try and get them to pee in the street? Not going to happen, dogs won't do it.

I'd suggest setting a nice comfortable chair with a cooler on your front patio and sitting out there all day yelling at anybody walking by to stay off your yard. Be the stereotype, embrace it.
There is a park down the street like I said.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Where should the dogs go? I'm happy when I see folks pick up their dog's solid waste. I'm not worried about urine. Like said upstream dilute it, I mean you're proud of your yard.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
It could be worse, like on your leg.
Yeah, I could go down the street and piss on their lawn
Old 06-15-2018, 07:10 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

How about a fence (even a short fence) along the sidewalk to deter dogs from peeing on your lawn.... or a sign asking dog owners to not let dogs pee on your lawn.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:12 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Old 06-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

My dog pees in my small backyard everyday. Rarely see any burned spots. Perhaps we get enough afternoon showers to compensate. I don't walk my dog in my neighborhood as we go on daily walks on the golf course. Plenty of out of golf play areas for him to do his thing.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Old 06-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Love it......
Old 06-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #19

Dog lover here, although no longer have dogs ourselves. I also try to keep a good lawn. I see nothing wrong with the owner walking and the dog peeing, provided that the dog is on a normal leash. Those 20 ft devices that they call a leash can't keep a dog under control. In a 30 ft setback community that can allow a dog 2/3 up into the lawn. Not cool! If they are walking on a sidewalk, the owner should keep the dog on the street side so they do their business on the parkway side.

I think the female dogs burn the grass more than male dogs. I'm not sure on that though. I have the occasional burn up in my lawn that I think is from deer, coyote or some other larger animal. I'm not sure though.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
That should probably be "Pet PEE (ve) thread.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote