Join Early Retirement Today

doing tax, question on 1098-t
Old 04-19-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

doing tax, question on 1098-t

doing one of relative's tax return. She got a 1098-t and box 5(scholarship) has an amount (pls see attached.), looks like it's treated as income because it increased her tax amount. Just want to double check with the folks here.

backgroun info, may not make any difference.
she is in the military and was deployed to a combat zone a few years ago. After returning to the U.S., she starting attending Devry and her tuition is footed by the govt.

She has very low income now and she owes close to $1700 on the federal, does the govt offer any payment plans?

thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 8.42.26 PM.png (90.1 KB, 7 views)

ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Her education credit is based on box 2 minus box 5, so her credit is $0. Box 5 would be taxable (IIRC) only if it exceeded box 2.

Yes, she can arrange payments. Have you checked to see if she is eligible for an EIC?

AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
Her education credit is based on box 2 minus box 5, so her credit is $0. Box 5 would be taxable (IIRC) only if it exceeded box 2.

Yes, she can arrange payments. Have you checked to see if she is eligible for an EIC?
I assume you've already calculated and entered in the adjustment in Box 6? That part is very important.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Adjustments to Scholarships or Grants For a Prior Year
Box 6 of Form 1098-T reports adjustments made to scholarships or grants reported on a prior year Form 1098-T in Box 5. The amount reported in Box 6 represents a reduction in scholarships or grants reported for a prior calendar year. The amount reported in Box 6 for adjustments to scholarships or grants may affect the amount of any allowable tuition and fees deduction or education credit you may claim for the prior year. See IRS Form 8863 for how to report these amounts.

Also see" https://www.taxact.com/support/1120/...ture-of-credit
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
I assume you've already calculated and entered in the adjustment in Box 6? That part is very important.
box 6 has been populated by school already.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 8.39.57 AM.png (54.7 KB, 3 views)
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote