Join Early Retirement Today

Donation Gifts
Old 12-25-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Donation Gifts

What do you think of donation gifts? That is, a gift that's a card that says "A generous donation has been made in your name to ..."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Donation Gifts
Old 12-25-2006, 08:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think it is presumptuous.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
What do you think of donation gifts? That is, a gift that's a card that says "A generous donation has been made in your name to ..."
I like the idea, as long as the selected cause is chosen to reflect the values of the gift's recipient rather than solely those of the giver. You do have to know someone pretty well to do that safely, I guess.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what? to like the "human fund"
Old 12-25-2006, 08:42 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'm thinking that partly, someone is using it as a way to let you know that they are donating money. Like "Aren't I a good person for donating?"

OTOH, I think it's great that they are donating instead of buying some gift from the mall that I may never use.

One that I got this year was for a fine charity, but not one I would have chosen, and I think the giver knows that.

But it is weird concept.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:35 PM   #6

as some sitcom character on a tv xmas show said about donation gifts: "this is no good; i can't return it."

in similar fashion, i received lots of donation cards to the alzheimer's association after mom died, some even two months after the funeral. i got to the point that i didn't even open them, just threw them out upon receipt. one of my friends got offended, but i thought it was incredibly insensitive that these well-meaning people would drag out my mourning. i can see someone enjoying receiving these donation cards but for me this is the type of sharing best done privately.

as to donation gift giving on happy occasions, i suppose i would rank it a rung above a gift card. but nothing says "i love you" like cash.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:42 PM   #7

I find them very touching IF they made the donation to a cause I believe in. Especially if it is a cause/organization that I was unaware of.

However, I think you should know the recipient well enough to know what organization/cause they would appreciate donating too.

After all, I don't need another tie nearly as much as 'type cause here' needs help with their cause.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:12 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I asked for donations to local food banks or women's shelters for gifts from our family last year. Most gave us a card indicating the group they donated in our name. My sister actually sent a donation receipt with our name / address on it from the shelter they gave donation to so we could claim on our taxes - now that was an extra benefit we had not thought of

For us it seemed much better than the years of gift cards or "dust collectors" we received in the past.

This year - instead of gifts - our family (my side of family) put together show and tells with food and pictures of past Christmas memories to share with each other at our annual Christmas celebration - it was great
Old 12-26-2006, 06:59 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Since DW and I are having a harder and harder time coming up with material gifts we'd actually like to receive, we are generally happy to get "donations", especally when they are to causes we support.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:01 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got one this year from a notoriously cheap relative. I did a little research and found that the charity allows her to send six e-cards to six different people refering to the same donation (while the card makes it look like it was only sent to you). Now that's efficient way to get donations from cheap people.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:45 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

personally i think its a poor choice for a gift unless you truely know this is what the person wants and even then i dont think id do it. to me thats no gift....

theres enough stuff you can order on-line in gourmet foods and novelty stuff that i think one can never run out of nice gifts to give.

leave donations to the doners i say themselves.....

even giving a visa gift card is a better idea, if the recipiant wants they can use the gift card for their own donations
Old 12-26-2006, 11:40 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

However, it would be fun to choose a really conservative friend and give him this donation card:

A donation has been made in your name to the Hillary Clinton Election Committee.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:42 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

yeah like a donation to the NRA for my anti-gun friends
Old 12-26-2006, 11:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
......a gift that's a card that says "A generous donation has been made in your name to ..."
It's OK if what follows the "TO" is my bank account number!

Otherwise, just spend that cash on a nice gourmet gift basket, a gift certificate at one of my favorite eating joints fine-dining restaurants or my local butchershop, a really cool gag gift, or even a frozen pizza! But, please don't donate to some charity in my name...I'm picky who I support!!! 8)
Old 12-26-2006, 01:11 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

After my mom died, my employers made a donation in her name to a charity that supports research in the area I work in. This charity is one that my mom would never have contributed to. The donation was indirectly self serving. I felt it was a really cheap thing to do and I would have appreciated a big bouquet of fresh flowers much more.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:29 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Everybody eats and drinks. I favor really good hooch, a box of steaks, a country ham.

This is maybe kind of old fashioned, but I always like getting (or giving) nice food.

Ha
Old 12-26-2006, 03:29 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

this year we gave the kids gift certificates for allen steaks, corky's ribs and taste of chicago. they thought it was a great gift......

last year we did giftt certificates for broadway.com and got to pick any broadway shows they wanted being we live in nyc
Old 12-26-2006, 03:34 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Everybody eats and drinks. I favor really good hooch, a box of steaks, a country ham.

This is maybe kind of old fashioned, but I always like getting (or giving) nice food.

Ha
Hard to go wrong with what you recommended unless they are an alcoholic and a vegetarian.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
Hard to go wrong with what you recommended unless they are an alcoholic and a vegetarian.
Yeah, but it's great if your just a regular old 'run-of-the-mill' drunk and are carnivorous!
Old 12-27-2006, 10:10 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I think it is presumptuous.
I disagree..........many people have made donations to my sister's memorial fund, and the cards read that way. BTW, we are close to $30K in the fund. It will give out scholarships in the 4-4.5% range infinum.........

My goal is to get it to $50K in two years, and $100K in 7 years..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote