Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2019, 04:15 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Maybe I'm just getting old, but over my lifetime I've been warned about Communists, nuclear war, over population, running out of oil, running out of food, nuclear power plants, global cooling, global warming, acid rain, the Japanese buying up all of the US, the Saudis buying up all the US, Y2K and global financial collapse among just a few "end of the world as we know it" apocalypses. (oh! and the end of SS)

I just can't get worked up about this stuff anymore.

I'm living the same life, doing the same things and going to the same places that I have for my entire 67 years. Not much has changed in my day-to-day as far as I can see.
Yep. Dad (life long real estate investor) once told me the doom and gloomers convinced him not to buy any houses during the late 70's recession. He "bunkered down" instead. Big mistake-he missed out on many really good deals, and said he would never listen again.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2019, 04:29 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Plus the infamous palmetto bugs, which I still haven't seen yet.
One of those made the unfortunate decision to join mrs. Big in the shower yesterday. Poor thing never saw the hand held shower head turned sledge hammer coming. Had to install a new one after the event.
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:41 AM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
We have lived in a small residential town, since 1973 about 150 yards from the ocean and expect to sell our house in 10+ years when we may need extra help. I think we can hold out until then and maybe get more for our property as it becomes ocean front.
I have lived in Florida since about 1961. Before Disney moved in I moved away from Orlando to north Fl. My wife has lived in Fl since about 1950. Both of us have been everywhere in the state.

If we were younger and looking for a place to settle I might start looking for a home in a place other than Fl. Most places are so crowded from Central Fl and cities south I won't even entertain thoughts of going there anymore. It's a hot mess unless you like crowds, large numbers of tourists, dangerous driving, really hot and humid weather most of the year, hurricanes increasing intensity, South Fl eventually rationing water as salt water intrusion ruins the aquifer from the population density draining the resources, and increases in Red Tide on both the east and west coasts of the state affecting respiratory problems. At the moment it is 98 degrees at the end of May. Because of our location we have less of any of these problems. But I'm not telling where I live until I'm ready to sell.

IF the ocean rises it will mean that cooler parts of the country will get a lot warmer and Fl will become unbearable. Western Carolina looks more attractive.

Cheers!
I've been in NE Florida for the past 26 years. It has grown like a weed and continues to grow. If it wasn't for my kids and grandson being a mile away, I would seriously be thinking about moving a little further north.

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:30 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you have someone come to spray your home and yard regularly? Because that's the only way to keep the 2-inch roaches away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Plus the infamous palmetto bugs, which I still haven't seen yet.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:32 AM   #85

the thing about Florida, as Yogi Bear would have warned us, is that nobody goes there because it's too crowded.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:39 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
the thing about Florida, as Yogi Bear would have warned us, is that nobody goes there because it's too crowded.
Good Point.... LOL Always said Yogi was under estimated.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:25 AM   #87
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Do you have someone come to spray your home and yard regularly? Because that's the only way to keep the 2-inch roaches away.
Yes, I have people come and spay the exterior quarterly. It seems did the trick.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:30 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neihn View Post
Yes, I have people come and spay the exterior quarterly. It seems did the trick.
Same here. Worthwhile expense.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:35 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

It is snake season here, we find at least 3 a day in the house, we have a special device to grab them and throw them outside, carefully avoiding the alligators.

This only seems to be a phenomena within a 50 miles radius of where we live. So if you go to Orlando or south of New Smyrna beach to West Palm, Miami, Naples, Sarasota, Punta Gorda or Tampa, they do not have such problems. It is best to look in those areas if you are considering moving here. Absolute paradise so I am told. We have not got around to moving from this torturous place, too busy keeping the critters and bugs at bay.

Dtail, they tell me Hillsborough county is worse though...
Old 06-03-2019, 07:01 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Alligators don't really bother me. Although they did catch one yesterday in the ocean among all the swimmers. Freaked out a bunch of people.
Holy cow!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:04 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

^^^^ Wow! So, what are the good things about living in Florida, besides the alligators, roaches, heat, humidity, destructive storms, over crowded, crime and murders etc.??
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:11 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^^^^ Wow! So, what are the good things about living in Florida, besides the alligators, roaches, heat, humidity, destructive storms, over crowded, crime and murders etc.??
None, you have to like all those to live here. Keeps life interesting. Just watch your step when you leave the house. Like anything else, you do get used to it though.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:14 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

^ I suppose and it really is what you get use too and feel comfortable with. There is the not so good things about every place.

Thanks.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:21 AM   #94

I am one of the people who would love to move to Florida, but AM worried about climate change. I can foresee all sorts of ripple effects - e.g. rising taxes required to "harden" infrastructure, raise roads, repair flooding areas.

I would not want to live directly on the coast (too developed), but I can see indirect consequences, such as increased flood insurance premiums. Still given my time frame and the fact I don't have to worry about leaving anything to heirs, I might do it! I like heat and humidity, and I like afternoon thunderstorms rolling in daily.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:21 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
^ I suppose and it really is what you get use too and feel comfortable with. There is the not so good things about every place.

Thanks.
Agreed, it just makes me chuckle when I see some of these responses, and the reasoning behind them. You NEVER really know till you live in a place regardless. AND remember the grass is usually greener.

For us any civilized place without snow and freezing temps close to a beach is simply our paradise. YMMV.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:26 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
I am one of the people who would love to move to Florida, but AM worried about climate change. I can foresee all sorts of ripple effects - e.g. rising taxes required to "harden" infrastructure, raise roads, repair flooding areas.
Our home and flood insurance has not changed significantly in 11 years, in fact it has gone down ever so slightly as our area changed flood zones from AE to X relatively recently (We are Just about walking distance to the beach or a very short bike ride). House taxes are lower than when we moved here too, but that was due to me being diligent with assessments and homesteading laws in FLA.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:35 AM   #97
Administrator

Quote:
I think SWR is trying to out-do REWahoo's list of reasons to not move to an area. Can we all imagine SWR living in his beach paradise, yet having to walk everywhere in protective gear with a cudgel to fend off all the critters?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:45 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
We don't know that. All of the climate models have been horrendously inaccurate, virtually all of them (in excess of 99%) predicting temperature rises that have not happened. Why trust them to predict intensity if they can't even get the temperature right? And then there are the hundreds of "adjustments" of temperature data mostly (conveniently) cooling the past and warming the recent years, and the urban heat index factor which has affected many of the weather stations.

There are too many factors involved in climate that are not understood and no one can predict the future with accuracy. In addition the funding flows at virtually 100% to one side of the debate so there's little incentive to go against the grain.

Anyway, I'll bow out of this discussion now as people are either on one side or the other and rarely change their mind.

Whew, glad we straightened that out. I’m guessing those climate scientists had never considered any of that...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:56 AM   #99
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Whew, glad we straightened that out. I’m guessing those climate scientists had never considered any of that...
Of course they considered it, but you know the dark underworld of organized climate science and its famous code of omerta. They make the mafia dons look like sissies by comparison.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:05 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I think SWR is trying to out-do REWahoo's list of reasons to not move to an area. Can we all imagine SWR living in his beach paradise, yet having to walk everywhere in protective gear with a cudgel to fend off all the critters?
Michael: You live here, you mean you have not got your Florida environmental protective suit yet? You must stay in a lot. You know Bealls sells them, and Tuesday is seniors day, so tomorrow you will get a discount. One cannot honestly live in Florida without one. I personally prefer the one on the Right.