Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My favorite uncle was a Texas highway patrolman who lived in Llano TX. He was kind, honest and did his job well. He'd be sad to read this thread if he were still with us.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you ever need my professional help as a cop, and I fail to help you then you can go ahead and not like me. You not liking me or cops in general because some random cop who knows how long ago didn't help you is utterly ridiculous.

As for the cops who you say lied about something during your friend's drug arrest, if they did lie, then they should be fired or worse. However, I have to ask, were you there? It's possible your friend is lying to you.

How about some more details about the whole thing? How much MJ did he have? Nobody goes to prison for MJ unless they a whole hell of a lot of it or they have a very bad previous record. I get the feeling there is much more to this story.

PS..if the cops did lie, you have the right to dislike THOSE cops. Disliking all cops for something that some crooked cops may have done is, well for lack of a better word, stupid. If I disliked every member of every profession of someone who wronged me or a friend of mine, I would dislike just about everyone.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
It is a mistake to paint any subgroup of people with a wide brush.
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #144
Full time employment: Posting here.
My view is a little biased since, besides my father, the adult male who influenced me the most was a police officer. He was my Sunday School teacher for the teenage boys in our church. His famous statement was "I do love all of you. But I am a police officer, and if I catch you committing a crime, I will arrest you. And if you try to escape, I will capture you. And if you try to attack me with a weapon, I will shoot you. Not because I do not love you, but because that is my job and duty." While it sounds frightening, he said it in a sensible way that left an impression... perhaps 2-3 of the boys he taught (and there were many hundreds) have gotten into any trouble.

One of the best things he taught us was "if the cops get to know you, and you treat them with respect, you will not have anything to worry about." So I've always made it a point to know the police officers in my community. For example, in collge, we'd give parties that would require a campus police officer present. He or she would sit at the door. We'd always introduce ourselves to them, and during the party would have someone checking on them to see if they needed food, wanted something non-alcoholic to drink, etc. When they would warn us ahead of time of the 2AM party curfew time (primarily because that is when they would go off duty), we'd start winding things down by 1:45 and made sure the music ended by 2. Through that I got to know many of them well, and they would be very easy going with us.

Recently one of our sons have an issue when they bought a car from a dealer and went to register it in another state, and it turned up at the state DMV as being stolen. Our son went straight to the nearest sheriffs office and explained the situation. If they went by the book they would had confiscated the car until my son could prove that is wasn't stolen. Instead, they helped him talk to the dealer (who gave him the cold shoulder but suddenly got very cooperative when the officer got on the phone) and the finance company who sold the car to the dealer (who had repossessed the car from the previous owner but had not followed up with the DMV when that owner reported it as a stolen). I wrote a letter of commendation to the police chief regarding the officer who helped my son.

So while there are certainly some bad apples among the police, I wouldn't put a blanket label on them.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...
Our local police officers are incredibly responsive and very polite. So are our local border patrol. I have no problem calling on them if we have a security issue.
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...
Sometimes a cop goes bad and has to be dealt with. Here Michael Corleone teaches an important lesson about firearm safety to Capt McCluskey in Godfather I.
Attached Images
File Type: png McCluskey.png (47.0 KB, 80 views)
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #147
Thanks for a lively discussion.

Closed Thread