Join Early Retirement Today

Don't Throw That Out...Just Yet
Old 04-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Don't Throw That Out...Just Yet

No mention of dryer sheets here but some good re-use for stuff you are about to toss away in the trash.

15 Things to Reuse Instead of Throwing Out

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
No mention of dryer sheets here but some good re-use for stuff you are about to toss away in the trash.

15 Things to Reuse Instead of Throwing Out
Wow, I was taught while growing up to re-use all of those items in the ways specified except for old honey. I thought everybody did. We didn't have newspaper sleeves then (had wire holding the newspapers together), but we saved the wire and re-used other plastic bags instead.

My parents lived through the Great Depression and that's where they picked up a lot of those habits, which they then transmitted to us kids.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Good list. Thanks for posting. We started the soup from leftovers idea and it works out well. It is a different soup every week.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

And, regarding plants, there are a lot of grocery items that can be regrown from the parts typically thrown away, see the book:

Don't Throw It, Grow It!
http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Throw-It-Grow-windowsill/dp/1603420649
unno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Good list. Thanks for posting. We started the soup from leftovers idea and it works out well. It is a different soup every week.
We regularly have what we call "refrigerator soup" and it is sometimes beter than homemade soup we make from scratch.

I don't like throwing out pickle juice and there was a short piece on Rachel Ray this morning where a listener just cuts up fresh, peeled cucumber slices, adds it to the jar of leftover pickle juice and has pickles a few days later. I'll have to try that one.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #6

Already doing most of that. I've done the crayon thing - but fewer crayons enter our house now that the kids are older. We're big on leftovers becoming soup, re-purposing stale bread as breadcrumbs, etc. The reminder to use the net onion bags as scrubbies is a good reminder, though.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, this may be news to millenials but people who's parents were Depression era know all these, or even better. We just give our old clothes away, but a lot of stuff gets reused around the house. We don't drink much wine, but I always have a few corks around. They're useful for key floats when I'm kayaking, or pushing my wood chisels into for safe storage. We use the mesh bags to collect our dog hair, then hang them out for the birds to use as nesting material.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Coffee grinds--amazing how they accumulate, and how useful they are as mulch and feed around the yard.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:15 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
We use the mesh bags to collect our dog hair, then hang them out for the birds to use as nesting material.
GREAT idea ! I groom my poodle myself and usually just collect the hair and try to put it in a "neat" pile between a couple of tree branches. Its about 50% successful. I'm saving my next onion bag for this ! Thanks for posting.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #10

My grandmother took this to the extreme. I still remember being a child when we cleaned out my grandparents house after they both had died. My mother hauled box after box after box out of the attic - folded fabric from clothing that had been cut up and saved, buttons, zippers, hooks and eyes, you name it.

I used to do the freezer soup but DH eats dinner leftovers for breakfast and lunch most days so my problem is not having enough leftovers these days!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I've been making fireplace logs from rolled up newspapers for so many years that can't recall when I did not do it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote