Don't Worry, Be Happy

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
Remember the "Don't Worry, Be Happy" song by Bobby McFerrin? The old curmudgeon Paul Farrell at Marketwatch.com is singing the same tune in this article:

Happiness trumps money for retirees

"Accept the fact that you're just one of 287 million Americans (out of 295 million) who will never retire as a millionaire. Accept that and you'll be a lot happier. A healthy, spirited blend of gratitude and acceptance is the single most effective retirement strategy for any American."

Translation: Resign yourself to living on less and get over it. ;)

http://tinyurl.com/bjf4z

Good article. I am in the "relatively happy" group. His statement that most of us won't do the things that will make us a millionaire is true. We just want to be comfortable and secure. I think I am. At least as long as Vanguard chugs along, I am. His other point about healthcare is valid. Without the Tricare serendipity, I'd still be "cubicle man.", attending all those banal meetings. BTW: I liked Bobby McFerrin.

http://upchucky.com/flash-be-happy.html

Well crap!

In my spend more mode - as of 1/1/2006 - I have 5000 deductible Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Kansas City - after going 12 years with no health insurance whatsoever.

Katrina, two deaths in the household this year - has made me a tad gunshy.

Let's see - Firecalc and ORP still puts me ballpark 20k per year under budget.

Perhaps - a Jimmy Buffett break if/when the snow in MO gets toooo much.

Anywise - worrying a lot is my normal habit pattern - I enjoy it - as long as I don't take myself too serious.

Heh heh heh heh

IMO, an astoundingly stupid article. "Most don't want to be millionaires; they just want to be secure!"

Well, Duh! But absent the foresight many years ago to park your fat ass in some government job, you'd better have more than a million if you expect to be secure.

Writers write, thinkers think- too bad they are almost never the same people.

Ha

I disagree with the premise. I think most people DO want to be millionaires. But most people don't do what it takes to BE a millionaire...

Doubt that I will be (in today's dollars...)

Back
Top Bottom