Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 03:53 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
If there's one thing i love in this world and the one thing that causes me to think twice about the existence of God, its a beautiful woman.
What I meant was, you stated you are AGAINST gay marriage, but NOT if it's two bisexual females?? Can you say, biased??

Ever think that perhaps some women are affronted by bisexual women/lesbians I got to know two of my sister's best friends through the funeral, packing up her house, etc. One is a female same-sex couple and the other is a male same-sex relationship. All I can say these folks are some of the nicest, most helpful, caring people I have ever met. And I am honored to have gotten to know them and consider them my friends also..........



__________________

__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 03:57 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Richard J Daley, Richard M Daley......... vote delivering Dems. Is that different than "liberal?"

BTW, wasn't Milwaukee's socialist major the guy that invented Milorganite? I don't see it on the market anymore. It was a great fertilizer.
You're talking about Frank Ziedler, who served from 1939-1954 or around then sometime. My grandma (96) still talks about what a great guy he was.........

Milorganite is produced from MMSD (Metro Milwaukee Sewerage District) It's basically human sewage that has been taken from the Deep Tunnel and processed. The Brewers and Packers use it on their turf, and it works well. It is still available to buy. Milorganite claims not to "burn" your lawn, among other qualities. I always theorized that it couldn't burn your lawn because since Wisconsin leads the nation in brandy consumption, the "ingredients" don't have "time" to pick up all that uric acid stuff.......
__________________

__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 04:41 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 926
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
What I meant was, you stated you are AGAINST gay marriage, but NOT if it's two bisexual females?? Can you say, biased??

Ever think that perhaps some women are affronted by bisexual women/lesbians I got to know two of my sister's best friends through the funeral, packing up her house, etc. One is a female same-sex couple and the other is a male same-sex relationship. All I can say these folks are some of the nicest, most helpful, caring people I have ever met. And I am honored to have gotten to know them and consider them my friends also..........



Yeah, you should be proud.

JG
__________________
Some of us have pretty stories, about good friends, good times and noodle salad.
Mr._johngalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sheryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,459
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

Here are just a few things that turn my stomach:

Coconut cream pie
Horror movies where people vomit all over things
Bloody surgery shown on medical dramas
Dead skunks in the middle of the road

I've managed to go through most of my life avoiding contact with them, and other things that I have learned will turn my stomach. That's my right and privilege. As long as they are not forced on me, things are fine.

It never occurred to me to put forth an initiative to outlaw them.

In fact I am very much in support of the rights of people everywhere who seem to enjoy them.




__________________
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 926
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
Gay marriage is one of the few liberal positions i'm not for. The only gay couple i like to even see together is maybe between two hot females, and that's about it; and that's only if they admit to being bi and open to suitable male invitees. The rest, i just find a bit repulsive; especially two men. Given that, its really hard for me to place a stamp of endorsement on something that usually turns my stomach a bit.
A liberal being honest (if amazingly non-PC). Gotta love it!

JG
__________________
Some of us have pretty stories, about good friends, good times and noodle salad.
Mr._johngalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

Other news. The first Muslim man was elected in Minnesota to serve in the House.

__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,505
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Here are just a few things that turn my stomach:

Coconut cream pie
Horror movies where people vomit all over things
Bloody surgery shown on medical dramas
Dead skunks in the middle of the road

I've managed to go through most of my life avoiding contact with them, and other things that I have learned will turn my stomach. That's my right and privilege. As long as they are not forced on me, things are fine.

It never occurred to me to put forth an initiative to outlaw them.

In fact I am very much in support of the rights of people everywhere who seem to enjoy them.




Financedude (and you) are right, what i said was certainly biased.

Come on guys, are you guys saying none of you vote "selfishly"? For example, i'm a government environmentalist, and if for no other reason (just sake of argument, Im 90% democrat anyway), i vote democrat because i know republicans generally speaking see people like me as a waste of taxpayer money and a roadblock to progress. Don't believe me? Confirm this with JG. Right or wrong, my job puts food on my table.

Same goes with this gay marriage issue. If i dont personally like it, including seeing it as common place in society, then, Sheryl, you're saying i should vote for it for their sake, despite what I dont like? Look, i respect that some of you live this nobly, but I simply do not. I actually have to make an effort to not be visably sickened seeing two guys holding hands or kiss. When it happens in movies, i literally have to look away. Perhaps this is because i grew up in rural Arkansas, i dunno..... Regardless, I'd have to be Mother Teresa to vote for this anyway, and I assure you i'm not her.

Yes, I'd never make statements like these publically in front of a bunch of people. I know this is not politically correct, but i'm sorry. I just cant support it directly, but obviously i'll continue to do so indirectly as i'm a strong democrat overall.

Oh, and by the way JG, the #1 reason i'm attacked on forums is because i have the guts to say what so many others only think or do. Most people prefer more friends at the cost of dishonesty.

Azanon
__________________
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 05:09 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 926
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Other news. The first Muslim man was elected in Minnesota to serve in the House.

Butler?

JG
__________________
Some of us have pretty stories, about good friends, good times and noodle salad.
Mr._johngalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 05:15 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 926
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon

Yes, I'd never make statements like these publically in front of a bunch of people. I know this is not politically correct, but i'm sorry. I just cant support it directly, but obviously i'll continue to do so indirectly as i'm a strong democrat overall.

Oh, and by the way JG, the #1 reason i'm attacked on forums is because i have the guts to say what so many others only think or do. Most people prefer more friends at the cost of dishonesty.

Azanon
I admire your honesty. I surely do. As for me, I would even say what I think in front of "bunches of people". Hellfire................. the whole country for that matter. It is pretty nice to be at this point in my life; maybe the most non-PC person on the planet. Certainly on this forum.

JG
__________________
Some of us have pretty stories, about good friends, good times and noodle salad.
Mr._johngalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

consider us a village.................idiot!
__________________
&quot;Well done is better than well said.&quot;<br />Ben Franklin
sallie4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 05:30 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

Another interesting result. South Dakota voted against the proposed abortion ban.
__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 05:36 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.
shiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 673
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

I agree that "marriage" is a church thing and the government should stay out of it. Maybe we should all have Domestic Partnerships. I mean, marriage doesn't mean much to a lot of people - just look at that pillar of Moral Values Britney Spears. Anyway...

I think of it as a rights issue. If one person has the right to marry the person they love most in the world and have all the rights bestowed upon them how can we deny those rights to another person just because we don't agree with who they want to marry? Just look at the anti-miscegenation laws of the past - those seem ridiculous now, but I'm sure there are some in the 60s that thought seeing a white girl with a black guy "turned their stomachs."

Sheryl, you are too funny! I hate seeing people vomiting too, not just in horror movies - we should start a petition here in WA.
__________________
I'm made of atoms, you're made of atoms, and we're all in this together. Ben Lee
shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,505
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
but I'm sure there are some in the 60s that thought seeing a white girl with a black guy "turned their stomachs."
I'm going to take a safe guess that you're a yankee, since you stated this in the past tense. Where i live, some are still quite bothered by this, perhaps nauseated on occasion. Not me, but i definitely know some that are.

I have no doubt i would have been mocked by my extended family (behind my back mostly) had i married a black girl. She had best been an absolute knockout lookwise and education wise for me to have even stood a chance for them to have allowed that.
__________________
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 05:41 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,071
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
What I meant was, you stated you are AGAINST gay marriage, but NOT if it's two bisexual females?? Can you say, biased??
I just blew all the stickers out of my nose.
__________________
Compounding: Never forget! Never not remember!
greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 05:43 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,505
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by disEntropy Greg
I just blew all the stickers out of my nose.
I never pretended to not be biased on that issue. I'm glad he made the obvious evident, but i'll confess i fail to see the humor in that.
__________________
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 05:49 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

Az sweetie, it was a bad pun. Really bad. But funny.
__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 06:01 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.
shiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 673
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
I'm going to take a safe guess that you're a yankee, since you stated this in the past tense. Where i live, some are still quite bothered by this, perhaps nauseated on occasion. Not me, but i definitely know some that are.
So, there you go. Some folks nausea has no bearing on what should and should not be a law.

I grew up in the south.



Edited to correct my bad spelling!
__________________
I'm made of atoms, you're made of atoms, and we're all in this together. Ben Lee
shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,321
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

Azanon,

Do you really think that your vote against gay marriages will make it any less likely that you will see two gay men holding hands? What does your visceral reaction to that have to do with extending legal protection to same sex couples? Your position seems to be like passing a law to prevent others from eating broccoli because you don't like the taste.

Grumpy
__________________
...you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 06:17 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,649
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
Financedude (and you) are right, what i said was certainly biased.

Same goes with this gay marriage issue. If i dont personally like it, including seeing it as common place in society, then, Sheryl, you're saying i should vote for it for their sake, despite what I dont like? Look, i respect that some of you live this nobly, but I simply do not. I actually have to make an effort to not be visably sickened seeing two guys holding hands or kiss. When it happens in movies, i literally have to look away. Perhaps this is because i grew up in rural Arkansas, i dunno.....
I have defended you in the past Az but I have to call you on this one. I can understand a religious objection to gay "marriage." I can even understand, although not agree with, a religious objection to homosexuality as a sin. But an objection to civil unions or other equivalent rights simply because you don't like homosexuality is beyond the pale. That is no different than opposing rights for interacial, or interethnic couples simply because you personally believe they should "stick with their own kind."

__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is online now   Reply With Quote
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-08-2006, 06:22 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore

What is really bothersome to me is amending constitutions to affirmatively insure one group is treated different from another. No matter what your state court or legislature says. Not only is that unseemly in and of itself, it makes you worry what could be next.


__________________

__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iraq and the Kansas Tornado. You should be angry. We all should. newguy88 Other topics 16 05-08-2007 08:20 AM
This ain't Kansas Arif Other topics 13 06-14-2006 10:27 AM
Heart attacks aren't just for geezers anymore... Nords Life after FIRE 28 04-15-2006 11:38 AM
Can't access forum from home PC anymore soupcxan Forum Admin 6 05-10-2005 07:20 PM
Kansas to the Keys dory36 Life after FIRE 4 02-27-2004 03:03 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:13 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.