Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Dorothy, We're Not In Kansas Anymore
Old 11-09-2006, 07:25 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
I was not in any danger of confusing you with Mother Teresa.

I vote for what I believe it is right for our society to do.

I believe it is right for our society not to discriminate against anyone based on their gender. I extend this belief to the idea that any two human beings should be permitted to marry if they so desire.

If you don't believe this, you should not vote for it. It's really not any more complicated in my mind.
I agree, its not more complicated than that. So why am i being hounded about my personal position? I'm under the impression i'm entitled to one opinion.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2006, 07:28 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob
Jokes aside. This is YOUR issue. You want to legislate the behavior of others because of your sexual immaturity?

Relax, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Oh i see; one's sexually mature if they can watch 2 guys go at it and enjoy it. That's..... interesting.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:32 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
In the context of this thread, I don't think this characterization applies to the party that is working to add discriminatory clauses to state constitutions to ban same-sex marriages. The Republican party seems quite happy to create new rules governing other people's private lives.

What you are saying may apply to libertarians, who are pretty much the polar opposite of both Republicans and Democrats.
And I agree. My metaphor and one paragraph descriptions of each party certainly don't match reality with a one-to-one correspondence. I originally wrote this in an economic context and for a different forum. It loses something in its movement. I was thinking of extreme forms of both parties at the time. And libertarians tend to caucus with the Republicans--if allowed.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:50 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
.... meaning you now live in the North, and dont see it anymore "up there", and you mistakely presumed it ended in the south after you left. Ok, gotcha.
I lived in the south until I was 30, I've been on the west coast. Don't make "safe" assumptions about me.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:09 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
So if I want to get rid of all the drug laws that limit me, dump the sodomy laws without relying on activist judges, keep legislators from telling my schools how to teach science, etc., I should look to the Grand Old Party?
I wouldn't necessarily go that far . I still follow the old adage "that you can't legislate morality. I believe when the Dems/Libs actually want to do such things as change behaviors they often try to do it thru substitution rather than thru laws. For example, if they want to get rid of all the recreational drug prohibitions, they tend to also want increased spending on rehab programs that serve to shape behaviors toward better results. This is good, offering substitution programs to promote more life supporting behaviors. But it may involve an additional funding law.

And on the sex topic: Personally and politically I'm in favor of promoting less promiscuity;this cuts across all groups, including gays, children, and my wife. I'd prefer to see or imagine less sex involving others (unless a real hottie was involved ). This wouldn't involve making more prohibitive laws; it would involve encouraging education about all the bad consequences of such behaviors and funding needed to support it. I'd willingly vote for a person to raise my taxes if it resulted in less promiscuity in the schools and if it was done thru education rather than punitively, after the fact. Good wholesome adults and kids and spouses are a sight to behold.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Legal benefits of marriage cost all of us money...
I don't suppose you can support that statement with a link?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:51 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I don't suppose you can support that statement with a link?
Even if he can it would just prove further that it is discriminatory to grant legal benefit to one set of citizens and not another.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:55 AM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
Even if he can it would just prove further that it is discriminatory to grant legal benefit to one set of citizens and not another.
I don't think he can prove anything, but I'm more interested in the finances than the equal-rights issue.

In any case I don't think there's anything wrong with giving government subsidies to people who are going to take care of each other and their children. I'd rather collect less tax revenue from families taking care of each other than have to pay more taxes to take care of singletons.

As demonstrated by the civil rights movement, finances have a much bigger effect on legislation than eliminating discrimination.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 11-09-2006, 12:00 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
As demonstrated by the civil rights movement, finances have a much bigger effect on legislation than eliminating discrimination.
Right. Also, can you imagine states letting people vote on whether minorities could have civil rights? People in the majority who "just don't like" other races, etc. would vote to deny them rights, absurd! That's why I think it is crazy that this marriage thing is on the ballot.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:10 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
Right. Also, can you imagine states letting people vote on whether minorities could have civil rights?
I'm sure that Senators & Representatives had plenty of constituent feedback during LBJ's push to pass the Civil Rights Act...

Old 11-09-2006, 12:59 PM   #71

My head is spinning. How can someone out one side of the mouth say we want to deny gays the right to marry because there is an economic cost to society, and out of the other side say that we should "protect" the institution of marriage?

Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:03 PM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
My head is spinning. How can someone out one side of the mouth say we want to deny gays the right to marry because there is an economic cost to society, and out of the other side say that we should "protect" the institution of marriage?

@ssholes always advertise.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:08 PM   #73
gone traveling

Quote:
Oh i see; one's sexually mature if they can watch 2 guys go at it and enjoy it. That's..... interesting.
So if you and your girlfriend are holding hands or kissing you think you are "going at it"? You are a romantic! Or does that definition only apply to homosexuals? Cringing at a normal public display of affection does imply a level of sexual immaturity. Remember when you were a school boy and the thought of kissing a girl was repugnant? Most men grow out of that stage.

Aren't you the guy that Manscapes your body hair? Yuck! There ought to be a law!
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob
Aren't you the guy that Manscapes your body hair? Yuck! There ought to be a law!
Hey, not to take Azanon's side on anything, but there's a comfort factor there, too. And hygiene.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:12 PM   #75
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
Hey, not to take Azanon's side on anything, but there's a comfort factor there, too. And hygiene.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:58 PM   #76
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!

Where the heck did you find that one?
Old 11-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Where the heck did you find that one?
Just trying to show a little patriotism on Veterans Day...

Old 11-12-2006, 12:29 PM   #78

Quote:
If there's one thing i love in this world and the one thing that causes me to think twice about the existence of God, its a beautiful woman.
Hey Azanon, I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with you !

Have a nice day,

-helen

Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:34 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Other news. The first Muslim man was elected in Minnesota to serve in the House.

Hey Martha.......how is this being reported in the Minn. press?
I heard he is catching a lot of flack from Muslims elsewhere as
he has sold out to the capitalist oppressors. Can we expect a "Rushdi"
style contract on this guy?

JG
Old 11-15-2006, 09:19 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

I've heard almost nothing since the election. But then again, I have been avoiding the news lately.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote