Join Early Retirement Today

Double Standard?
Old 06-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
gone traveling

Double Standard?

I was reading through the recent posts after a long weekend away, and noticed an anomaly that I wanted to address.

We recently had two FIRE members publicly announce their decision to leave this forum, both citing similar circumstances for their departures. One generated over fifty good-byes, the other less than one-tenth that amount, of which only one response was from a long-time forum member. I read several postings from each of the two departing members, the primary difference I could see between the two members was the tone of their responses on political and social issues.

So much for all the recent discussions around fairness, tolerance, and open-mindedness. Many of those pontificating about the decline in the tone and content of the forum in those discussions were conspicuously one-sided in their good-byes.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Why be a "Drama Queen" and announce your departure anyway?

If you want leave...JUST LEAVE!!! No reason to announce that you are leaving.

One good thing being in the Navy helped me...is how to have thick skin and know when to be humble!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonderfulwyoming View Post
I read several postings from each of the two departing members, the primary difference I could see between the two members was the tone of their responses on political and social issues.
Sorry, but that doesn't hold water.

While I wouldn't argue that stands on political and social issues (and posting temperament) win and lose friends on this board, I seriously doubt that was the primary reason for the difference in the goodbye posts or supports a claim of a double standard.

Note that the departed poster with the 50 goodbyes had been on the forum for 5 years and had more than 2,100 posts while the other had been here for 5 months and had only 120 posts. That accounts for the disparity in numbers - Dex was around for a long time, we saw him struggle with the decision to retire, pull the trigger, and move on to a new life. By contrast, we hardly knew BoutDone.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
By contrast, we hardly knew BoutDone.
I guess he became: "Done" instead of "BoutDone"..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I guess he became: "Done" instead of "BoutDone"..........
Old 06-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you measure yourself by the friends you have online, your life needs more substance.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Dex's farewell was also in Other topics while Bout done was in the political arena where a lot of people don't venture .
Old 06-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have never taken note before now, but is this Final Good-Bye post something new? One of the benefits of these online forums is that you can come and go in annoniminity, unlike moving out of your neighborhood or office. In theory if that is your last post here, you would not be returning to read any comments.

When I give up on this group I will just fade away as General MacArthur once suggested that old soldiers do.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

While the vast majority fade away with little notice, some go off with great fanfare...and sometimes return.

Then we have those who stay...and 'go off' again and again.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #10

Well, let's put it this way: Do you think someone who works at a place for a month before quitting -- and before many had a chance to gain a favorable impression of them -- is going to get the same send-off from co-workers as a relatively well-liked colleague who is retiring after 30 years on the job?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

"Individual A" was just starting to hit my radar screen, while all I knew of "B" was his or her screen name. I did notice that "A" sometimes expressed the same sentiments as my own but don't think we ever engaged in direct conversation as you (BWW) and I have already done! I said good bye to neither of them....

I stopped posting here (and reading the forums) for two months last year (to develop other interests) and to spend less time on-line which can be addictive. I'm not at all concerned that no one commented on my absence.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Dex's farewell was also in Other topics while Bout done was in the political arena where a lot of people don't venture .
Ding, Ding, Ding...I had to look over there right now since I didnt even see it....so I guess, good luck Boutdone...I didnt even get to know ya
Old 06-23-2008, 02:00 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
Ding, Ding, Ding...I had to look over there right now since I didnt even see it....so I guess, good luck Boutdone...I didnt even get to know ya
Same here I didn't even notice BoutDone's good-bye and I cruise by the Soap Box once in a while when a I feel I deserve some punishment.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonderfulwyoming View Post
So much for all the recent discussions around fairness, tolerance, and open-mindedness. Many of those pontificating about the decline in the tone and content of the forum in those discussions were conspicuously one-sided in their good-byes.
Hey BWW,

I didn't know about BoutDone leaving until I read your post. I just don't look at every post, particularly in the soap box forum. Please know many of us are tolerant and welcome a spirited discussion with folks who have different opinions.

Personally, I belive the difference in tone is due more to the fact it's an election year. In addition, the price of gas and instability the the stock market has many people tense and cranky.

By the way, I like your new avitar. I found out about "jack-a-lopes" from my Kansas relatives.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Suffering is always more noble when done in silence. When I leave it will be without posting to say so. I always wonder about the motive of someone who posts a "goodbye this place is not friendly anymore post"? I usually enjoyed what Dex had to say here on the forum but really did not know Boutdone.
Jeff
Old 06-23-2008, 05:18 PM   #16
gone traveling

...which begs the question- if someone posts a thread stating that this is their FIRE forum swan song, do they continue to stick around and read what everyone's reaction is? - in which case they aren't truly finished. What defines the end- when you answer the question or question the answers? George Carlin would have had fun answering this question.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Watch what you say, Wyoming, or you'll be next.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Watch what you say, Wyoming, or you'll be next.
Nooo..-- if and when I go it will be in stealth mode, so ya'll will think I'm still lurking around, waiting for a chance to respond on behalf of mainstream America...
Old 06-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Note that the departed poster with the 50 goodbyes had been on the forum for 5 years and had more than 2,100 posts while the other had been here for 5 months and had only 120 posts. That accounts for the disparity in numbers - Dex was around for a long time, we saw him struggle with the decision to retire, pull the trigger, and move on to a new life. By contrast, we hardly knew BoutDone.
I think REWahoo is on the mark.

Coach
Old 06-23-2008, 06:48 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I have never taken note before now, but is this Final Good-Bye post something new? One of the benefits of these online forums is that you can come and go in annoniminity, unlike moving out of your neighborhood or office. In theory if that is your last post here, you would not be returning to read any comments.

When I give up on this group I will just fade away as General MacArthur once suggested that old soldiers do.
Over the 25 years I've been posted in online forums I've lost count of the number of forum I use to be a fairly active member but stopped posting.
I've never said goodbye, I've just fade away, by posting less and than eventually stopped reading. If and when I do disappear, feel free to send me an email/PM..

General MacArthur had the right idea, of course in reality the American Caesar actually went on a lengthy farewell tour.