Join Early Retirement Today

Down at the YMCA
Old 11-08-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Down at the YMCA

Trying not to be a thread hijacker by creating this topic. While reading the thread on buying treadmills I wondered how the price of buying a treadmill would compare to a gym membership. Since there are YMCA's across the country, I went to my local Y's site to see what it would cost to get access to the facilities (i.e., cardio and weight eqpt.). What I found was interesting:

Quote:
Now, it's also a great fit for every budget. Because we believe a healthier lifestyle should be available to all, we're now offering an income-based fee scale. Join the YMCA, and your monthly membership fee will be based on your annual household income.
Being much more the type to read Atlas Shrugged rather than Critique of the Gotha Program, that statement struck me as unusual. Not that I wouldn't expect an organization based on Judeo-Christian principles to allow for reduced fees for people with lower incomes, but it is written to make it sound a little like "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need."

Anybody here belong to the Y and can enlighten me? Do the mega rich pay out the nose to go to the Y, or do they eschew such plebeian places? I'm just trying to understand if this is a poorly worded way of saying that they reduce the fees for people who make less than a certain amount, or is it a truly sliding scale (i.e., Bill Gates' Y fees would be $1 million each month).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Down at the YMCA
Old 11-08-2006, 02:52 PM   #2

The answer is pretty simple. There is a standard fee, say $100 for a certain level of membership. Then if you have a reduced income, are a student, retired and the like then you can get a lower rate. The poorer folks are subsidized but the goal is not to leave anyone out for financial reasons. This is perfectly consistent with a Christian, non profit organization.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #3

Leonidas - we are happy members at the Y. We pay $84 a month as a couple but that is reduced by Blue Cross to $44 if we each go at least 8 times a month. It's a great community resource for the nearly dead , babies and everyone in between, programs for mentally and physically challenged, as well as programs like Youth In Government and also those for young people in trouble.

Their aim is to Build strong kids, strong families and communities with an emphasis on healthy mind, body and spirit. It does have Young, Christian and Men in the name, but its really beyond that - one of these days they need to come up with a more descriptive name - llike maybe lets see how about The Y....
There is nothing overtly religious there. There are Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, and refuse to declare independents at ours.

If someone is looking for a sexy slick super modern place to pickup a hot sweaty date for the night you would do better someplace else.

We are Y Partners and do donate money to help the sliding scalers and less fortunate to participate in the programs and summer camps...

Besides Yoga classes, I enjoy the Spa and sauna. I've made some good friends there - its a community center really - I recommend it to ERs that are looking for more ways to stay connected!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Well,-- I Ain't going to no fancy YMCA, to pick up a date! There's plenty of dark bars around, where it's hard to count teeth and missing body parts.
Sundance Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
If someone is looking for a sexy slick super modern place to pickup a hot sweaty date for the night you would do better someplace else.
Didn't they have that song... Y-M-C-A- with the Village People.

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
Yeah, right after their other crowd-rousing hit "In the Navy"...

Hawaii's YMCA is one of the primary contractors for the state's A-Plus afterschool childcare program. Of course you're regularly pelted with YMCA flyers for swimming lessons, T-ball clubs, soccer leagues ("Can we, Dad, can we?!?") and other activities. They do a good job, but their fee structure is the same. Discounts only went to starving students & young kids!

I can think of worse organizations to donate my charitable money to.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster

http://hearthereeverywhere.blogspot....a-classes.html
Old 11-10-2006, 02:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
The answer is pretty simple. There is a standard fee, say $100 for a certain level of membership. Then if you have a reduced income, are a student, retired and the like then you can get a lower rate. The poorer folks are subsidized but the goal is not to leave anyone out for financial reasons. This is perfectly consistent with a Christian, non profit organization.
That's what I thought it was, but the wording made it sound different. Thanks for all the replies

We aren't regular members of our local Y, but I've coached in their youth leagues and the kids have played b-ball, soccer, etc. in the same programs. Our local Y is actually a pretty neat building (advantage to living in a city that was basically built from scratch in the last decade and a half).

Old 11-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why are you gay... :P

(Sung to the tune of "YMCA")

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:40 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

We just joined our "local" YMCA last month (15 miles away so its not that convenient), but with the long winters here, its nice to be able to get a good workout in, and even swim and sit in a steam room, when it freezing outside.

I get there 3-4 times per week, mostly for weights. I also have a treadmill at home so if I am only going to run, I do it at home.

We pay about $75/month which is the full family membership...thats for 2adults and 4 kids. Seems fair to me. Gotta check into that BC/BS discount though thta someone else mentioned. How does that work? Do they pay the Y for part of the fee, or reimburse you somehow?
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMcDonald
We just joined our "local" YMCA last month (15 miles away so its not that convenient), but with the long winters here, its nice to be able to get a good workout in, and even swim and sit in a steam room, when it freezing outside.

I get there 3-4 times per week, mostly for weights. I also have a treadmill at home so if I am only going to run, I do it at home.

We pay about $75/month which is the full family membership...thats for 2adults and 4 kids. Seems fair to me. Gotta check into that BC/BS discount though thta someone else mentioned. How does that work? Do they pay the Y for part of the fee, or reimburse you somehow?
Hi OldMc - that would be me. Not sure if the Health Plan discount works everywhere but here in the Twin Cities it's not just BC that does it and not just the Y where it works - other Health clubs also participate....We signed-up at the Y they deal directly with BC - Y charge to us each month reflects the discounted rate...
Old 11-12-2006, 01:36 PM   #12

NM