Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #21
Administrator

Midpack, I understand your frustration and share it. The people talking loudly are rude, boorish and ill mannered. They should step to one side and let the rest of us enjoy.

It's up to the venue to set the rules. By this I mean some combination of venue and event management. If they don't and the venue is a public park, the normal park rules apply. Babies, dogs, frisbees, whatever. Most of the people attending are there to enjoy the music, a few do come in-between us and the fine music, and there's little we can do about it.

That's the difference between going to a private performance and a public one. The way to change that behaviour is to provide feedback to the event organizers or venue management.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 01:08 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here you go. Sometimes they just need a gentle nudge :

Old 07-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #23

Rude selfish people are one of the many reasons we avoid crowds.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Rude selfish people are one of the many reasons we avoid crowds.
+1
Has to be something really special to offset those folks.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I am frequently upset when I am sitting on the beach a few yards from the water and people will come and stand right in front of me. We are living ina world where people don't even consider whether or not they are blocking someone else's view. This sounds like pet peeve of the day!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:10 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Whoo! Were you back behind me at the Trombone Shorty concert last week? I don't think I sat down the whole time. My biggest complaint was that the chairs were so narrow that my personal boogying space was limited. I had to be careful not to bump into the people dancing next to me.

I sat down at a classical music concert once.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:34 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
People keeps their mouths shut because they reasonably fear violence. We are getting to a point where public venues are often not much fun.

Ha

That is me. When faced with one of those situations I assess the situation to determine if things deteriorated would I have a reasonably good chance of whipping their ass? If not, I remain quiet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:55 AM   #28
gone traveling

I Just saw the Rolling Stones and everyone was standing including me. The average concert goers age was at least 50 ... Not a generational thing. At Large outdoor venues I think most assume standing is ok since not everyone has brought blanket or Lawn chair and even if they did its not too comfy.

The smaller intimate indoor venues tend to have people sitting as seats are built in ... but not always. ... Depends on the music. Saw CSN and no one was sitting. By the end of the show ... no one could stand ... Guess it was high quality green product being smoked. Ha ha.

It's a concert. Music moves people. Let them dance !!

I saw the Eagles in China a few years ago. The venue ushers and public security police made everyone sit ... It sucked. Can you imagine sitting to hear the Eagles !

Not the proper way to watch Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh let alone the Eagles!!!

Let them dance !!!
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:05 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Not sure how this ^ relates to the situation this thread is about. But the variety of POV/replies on this thread has been "enlightening."

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:12 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by midpack View Post
not sure how this ^ relates to this situation this thread is about.
+1

-erd50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Whoo! Were you back behind me at the Trombone Shorty concert last week? I don't think I sat down the whole time. My biggest complaint was that the chairs were so narrow that my personal boogying space was limited. I had to be careful not to bump into the people dancing next to me.

I sat down at a classical music concert once.

+1. Many (most?) outdoor concerts allow standing ...

If one is too old or feeble to stand, go sit your lawn chairs to the sidelines and let those who can and want to stand /dance do so, front and center!!
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
I saw the Eagles in China a few years ago. The venue ushers and public security police made everyone sit ... It sucked. Can you imagine sitting to hear the Eagles !

Yes, I can. My ears work just fine when I sit, and my level of enjoyment doesn't increase when I'm on my feet. And, of course, the Eagles are not really known for their highly energetic dance tunes...
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:36 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I saw Ringo last year with the All-Starrs. Great seats, first row center, balcony, no obstructions.

About 10 seats to our left, same row, these girls (really, women) decided to start standing and doing something that resembled dancing. If I'd been behind them, I'd have been very ticked and would have told them to sit so I could see too.

I think their primary reason was to draw attention to themselves ("oh, can you stand how cute/sexy/cool I am?"). Sorry, chiquita. Your butt is a lot better sitting down in your seat.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
+1. Many (most?) outdoor concerts allow standing ...

If one is too old or feeble to stand, go sit your lawn chairs to the sidelines and let those who can and want to stand /dance do so, front and center!!
If you're too selfish or oblivious to consider those behind you who made the same effort to attend and don't want to be forced to stand or dance, move to the sidelines and let those who want to see and hear the band do so, and dance your brains out!!

Another variation...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

While on the subject of seats at concerts:

We once paid top dollar (several hundred each) for front row center seats at a concert by a popular folk artist.

We were quite happy with the seats until the second song when about 200-300 people left their seats behind us and all came down and stood in front of us between the seats and the stage barrier and in the aisles, dancing and having just a great time for themselves.

We had to leave our seats and stand way behind the crowd because it just got way to crazy to be there.

When we ordered the tickets it was clearly stated that fire regs would not allow anyone to be in the aisles or standing, but there was no way to move all those people back short of stopping the concert.

I was so happy to give up my $300 seat so that someone who paid $50 could selfishly push me out of the way in order to enjoy themselves.

At the break, the fire dept did move everyone out but by then, we had lost interest.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:03 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If you're too selfish or oblivious to consider those behind you who made the same effort to attend and don't want to be forced to stand or dance, move to the sidelines and let those who want to see and hear the band do so, and dance your brains out!!

Another variation...
Midpack, I'm thinking (hoping) that papada111 is just being sarcastic. One couldn't be that oblivious.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

One more possible motivation for the wanna-be Ringo Rockettes: since they were in the front row and there was a possibility the show was being filmed (by something other than the cell phoners), perhaps they were thinking they had a better chance to get on-camera if they shook the merchandise.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There's an outdoor music venue I attend often. It's in an amphitheater shape. The ground slopes uphill away from the stage. All grass, no benches or seats. There is a dance area in front of the stage. (Mosh pit). Sober-faced security guards in khaki prowl the perimeter, peering into the crowd. People sit on the grass or set up collapsible chairs. Something must be right, because there's never a problem. The music is free but if you feel guilty you can buy an overpriced bud lite for $6 a pint.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Midpack, I'm thinking (hoping) that papada111 is just being sarcastic. One couldn't be that oblivious.
I think you may be oblivious to just how oblivious some people can be (like the people who talk above the performers!)!

Or were you being sarcastic?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:43 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I'd see what they were drinking and/or smoking and see if they might let me partake. At least then I'd be dulled to the annoyance of seeing but not hearing the concert.

This is also why I tend to skip concerts, sporting events, etc. Long lines, crowds of the 99%ers, body stink, $11 beers, etc all make viewing a game or concert in HD from my couch with a pause button much more attractive.