Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #41
One of my favorite musicians, BJ Barham, does a series of solo acoustic shows at clubs each year. He starts off by announcing, with plenty of colorful language, that if you talk while he's playing, he will embarrass you in front of your girlfriend. No talking!

But when he plays full band, loud, he doesn't dispense with the advice. And just plays over the talkers.

At outdoor shows, you just adapt to whatever is happening. And you really can't expect that the seat you started with will work for the whole time. Sometimes you have to move to see or hear better when the crowd fills in. I do love watching the hippies dance, including Harley!

Mingling with the GP requires lots of flexibility and patience. Otherwise you might be better off staying home with the hifi system. This may be something that becomes more noticeable with age.

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus
I googled photos of the biggest performance crowd I could think of -- and was amazed that almost everyone was sitting down as they listened to the artists at Woodstock. There was an occasional person standing up dancing but they were almost always young women without shirts on, so the overwhelmingly male audience was probably not too annoyed with them.

Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:12 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Not saying people never speak up anymore, but it takes something pretty egregious nowadays it seems.

Not at all in my case.

If anything, I've become much more aggressive in the past several years in confronting people who "invade my space." Were I at that concert I know I would have approached those people quite aggressively, because I do that regularly (because a variety of situations like what you described happen almost constantly here; in fact, it might have sounded like an LA concert except that a lot more people would have been standing up blocking others' views).

I've become so good at addressing these situations that I believe these types of people either think I'm mean or anti-social. So much so that I began to become concerned about my behavior. Regardless, my approach always works to remedy the situation. I'm sure this has a lot to do with where I live. People are just completely unconscious, it's the whole LA/entertainment thing, everybody knows it, (almost) nobody likes it, and yet everyone still does it.

OTOH, in the last year or so I've been working hard on letting situations like this just roll off my back. Peace is the operative word these days.

"He who knows that enough is enough will always have enough."
40/60 AA; < 2.5% WR; Delaying SS until 70
ER Date: 5/15/15
Options is offline   Reply With Quote