Join Early Retirement Today

Downsizing & Holiday Decorations
Old 12-27-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Downsizing & Holiday Decorations

We are a few years aways from this dilema, but am wondering what others do/have done with Christmas & holiday decorations once they downsize. Since many of these items are displayed in (or on) a home, when you downsize the home, I would think you need to downsize the decorations.

DW has an extensive collection of numerous types of holiday decorations (as I know quite a few other friends also have) and there is alot of sentiment & emotional value tied up in these items so they are not easy to part with.

Would also like to see a poll as to how many "boxes" of holiday decorations people have . Would probably need to define the box size. I have lost count as to how many, just know it is many.
shtg42012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Downsizing & Holiday Decorations
Old 12-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtg42012
Would also like to see a poll as to how many "boxes" of holiday decorations people have . Would probably need to define the box size. I have lost count as to how many, just know it is many.
We have a 72"x 12"x12" box for the artificial tree and another 1.5 cu ft box for the decorations. If it doesn't fit in those boxes then we don't need it.

The "tree" branches are actually fiber-optic strands lit from the base so we only need a few strands of tinsel and the kid's handcrafted ornaments. Lights used to take up a surprising amount of storage volume. Now it only takes about 30 minutes to hoist or lower the tree.

We opt out of the street-fight lighting wars, which also saves a tremendous amount of labor.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
gone traveling

We left everything in the boxes this year!!!

We are so happy that we have nothing to put away today!!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:45 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

We opt out of the street-fight lighting wars, which also saves a tremendous amount of labor.
We dont get involved with this either. In fact, our outdoor lights are from DW parents, the old style with the C9(?) bulbs and are probably 40 yrs old. They are only up 2-3 weeks per yr so they are in good shape!!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
We left everything in the boxes this year!!!

We are so happy that we have nothing to put away today!!
I have suggested a nice vacation during the holidays thinking this might minimize the need for decorations. Hasnt worked yet.....
Old 12-28-2006, 03:43 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For things with sentimental value.. why not make a special gift of them to family and friends? I know I got a nostalgic lump in my throat when I came across a kitchy plastic 1960s light-up Santa while cleaning out my Mom's basement. I brought it over to my sister and she went nuts for it, too!

For 'generic' garlands, lights and artificial trees.. maybe offer them to a local church, nursing home, or shelter?

I never got beyond 3-4 boxes. One for giftwrap, small one for cards, one for ornaments, and one for lights. Probably the most (uncharacteristically) organized aspect of my life. My mom probably (still) has 8-10 or even more.. not counting the boxes for the vast town "scene" of little light-up ceramic houses and figurines.. She went in for the candle holders and wreaths and "Christmas Tree Shop" tchotchkes, but the outside lights were always minimal. I think she has 2 big boxes of just bows for packages.. I lost track as my eyes started to glaze over with the excess of it all.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:52 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

The count last year was 27 boxes (the size that a case of wine or liquor come in). Also have a retro aluminum tree with color wheel and revolving base that I bought 2 years ago. We have a 7-ft cactus and last year I used it for a tree and decorated it. This year we went back to a natural tree--went out and cut it down. I've been trying to do something different every year. Also have a 6' wreath and 2 3' wreaths that are lighted for outside. I want a couple of those mechanical lighted deer for outside, but we're such packrats I can't figure out where I could store them. Downsizing--sounds like a problem for my 3 daughters when wife and I pass.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:54 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

We kinda go nutz at Christmas. Gave up on boxes, got BIG plastic tubs.

[img width=750 height=502]http://mrcol.freeyellow.com/christmas-06-16.jpg[/img]
Old 12-28-2006, 06:58 AM   #9
gone traveling

Well I must say thats well

VERY NICE!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:05 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Looks beautiful!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:22 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

We had a real fir tree this year for the 1st time in over 10 years. Borrowed most of the decorations from friends who no longer display much.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:26 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney

Beautiful room...........very elegant..............looks like a Norman Rockwell painting.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:50 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

We stopped celebrating all Christmas and holidays (no birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine's Day, etc). Just this year was the first time we went with this new plan.

For us, every day is special and worth celebrating. If we want to give gifts, then we do so without needing any arbitrarily decided day to tell us that we should do so.

Instead, we periodically go to the store and get sandwich supplies, drinks, and snacks, and then take care packages out to the homeless downtown. We did that this Christmas, and the $20 was far less expensive than any other Christmas, and more enjoyable and rewarding than ever before as well.
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:16 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney

VERY nice.

We use plastic tubs also, some have to be 10- 12 c.f. in size. By volume, probably have close to the 27 boxes that Payin has. Every year we seem to add one more box. This stuff is hard to store the rest of the yaer. Used to put it in attic but getting it all up a ladder became real tedious , not to mention dangerous.

We have had a big holiday party for many years and EVERY room has decorations. DW loves it - I accept it, that is what it is all about. Still seems a little excessive.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

We decorated exactly TWICE for the first two Xmases my husband and I shared. Then the novelty wore off, and we never did it again. Over the years we gave away any "heirloom" Xmas ornaments to other family members.

We don't bother decorating the motorhome. A lot of people do, but it just seems like too much trouble to us.

Do we even celebrate Xmas? Other than phone calls to family and sending family gifts - no, not really. We don't even gift each other on Xmas.

It's so much simpler this way!

Audrey