Join Early Retirement Today

Downsizing from 2K sq ft to 1K sq ft?
Old 12-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Downsizing from 2K sq ft to 1K sq ft?

There's a 1,000 sq ft house for sale near here (compared with out 2K sq ft house). I find small houses attractive, but I realize that the only big advantages are:

1. Much faster to clean.
2. Much cheaper and easier (if you split firewood) to heat.

So, it doesn't make must sense to think about moving there, right?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In addition, cheaper to insure and less property tax.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #3

Less room for guests to overstay their welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

That is a little tight for when Jenny comes home and brings her SO and then later when she comes home with your grandchild . Stay put !
Old 12-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

If the house appeals to you and the missus, go for it.

As for me, I wouldn't move to a smaller house because it was cheaper (unless I was struggling financially). I need my own space and so does my DH.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #6

We went from 3000 to 1020. It was liberating!
Old 12-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
As for me, I wouldn't move to a smaller house because it was cheaper (unless I was struggling financially). I need my own space and so does my DH.
+1

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #8
Administrator

If you like it, why not? There's nothing inherently bad about either a small house or a large house.

Some of us find that the older we get, the more we like the idea of downsizing and a smaller house could be well suited to that sort of lifestyle. If the floorplan was right and the house had whatever amenities you prefer, you might like it a lot. Less to clean, less to maintain, less hassle, less money - - a small house can have a lot of advantages.

Others find they entertain more and need the space. Or maybe they don't want to downsize and need the extra storage of a larger house. Maybe they have the type of hobbies that require a lot of space. There are lots of reasons why some prefer larger homes.

I tend to prefer small, cozy homes, but if the right home was larger than I had in mind, I wouldn't let that get in my way, either (up to a point).

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have about 2000 square feet of livable space. About 1000 of it is used only when I am in it to clean it. Company visiting issues aside, I certainly could downsize. If GF and a I ever move out of state in retirement a 1100 square foot patio home would be perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I think our house was 1200 sf (and that's generously measured) when we bought it--we added on a big family room soon after when we had kids. It has three bedrooms, a dining room, a living room, and a kitchen, all about the same size. We find the number of rooms is almost as important as the total square footage--one of us is in the living room reading or knitting while the other is in the family room or the bedroom-turned-into-office. I am sure we could quickly get used to a bigger house, but we could also do fine in the original house.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I think our house was 1200 sf (and that's generously measured) when we bought it--we added on a big family room soon after when we had kids. It has three bedrooms, a dining room, a living room, and a kitchen, all about the same size. We find the number of rooms is almost as important as the total square footage--one of us is in the living room reading or knitting while the other is in the family room or the bedroom-turned-into-office. I am sure we could quickly get used to a bigger house, but we could also do fine in the original house.
I'm like you - - I'm pretty adaptable about house size I guess. I don't need a lot of rooms, though. Right now I live in a 1600 square foot house but only use about 800 square feet. Like Mulligan, I seldom go into various parts of my house.

I could manage with a larger house if it was otherwise just right for me, though, as long as I didn't get lost in it too often.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Easier to maintain, too. Less to paint or pressure wash on the outside. Fewer gutters to clean. When things need replacing like the siding, windows, or the roof, it's a smaller quantity. Same inside the house. Less bathrooms mean less plumbing leaks and if you ever renovate, less to do.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

We downsized from 2,500 sqft to 1,100 sqft. Is it possible? Yes, absolutely. Is it desirable? Maybe. We downsized by need. We moved to a much more expensive area and we could not afford a 2,500 sqft dwelling. We found that spending a lot less time on cleaning and maintenance increased our quality of life by a great deal more than anticipated. I can't imagine moving back to a 2,500 sqft house now - unless it comes fully staffed. Still, the extra room was nice...
Old 12-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm like you - - I'm pretty adaptable about house size I guess. I don't need a lot of rooms, though. Right now I live in a 1600 square foot house but only use about 800 square feet. Like Mulligan, I seldom go into various parts of my house.

I could manage with a larger house if it was otherwise just right for me, though, as long as I didn't get lost in it too often.
I started out in a studio apartment, one big room, and could easily live like that again if it were just me, but it is nice to have a few separate rooms when two or more people share the residence.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I guess partly it depends on where you live and the price of real estate. In metro areas in states high cost of living states like New York or California 1K sq feet could free up a lot of cash.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:45 PM   #16

I live in a 1332 sq ft house now, and it's plenty for two or three people. It depends upon the way the space and rooms are arranged.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Good points, all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
That is a little tight for when Jenny comes home and brings her SO and then later when she comes home with your grandchild . Stay put !
Excellent point. I always think of Jenny's visits in terms of one person. That will change.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

smaller house, less cleaning, less maintainance, more free time. espescially if you travel a lot.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
There's a 1,000 sq ft house for sale near here (compared with out 2K sq ft house). I find small houses attractive, but I realize that the only big advantages are:

1. Much faster to clean.
2. Much cheaper and easier (if you split firewood) to heat.

So, it doesn't make must sense to think about moving there, right?
I never understood why people move just down the street/block. If you are going to sell a home, and buy another, why not pick a warmer state, or a state will lower taxes, or a state that has something legal that you can't legally do now.

A smaller house with less expenses makes sense to me, if it makes sense to you... But you will likely never recoup the selling and moving costs.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I never understood why people move just down the street/block. If you are going to sell a home, and buy another, why not pick a warmer state, or a state will lower taxes, or a state that has something legal that you can't legally do now....
I see it the opposite way, but maybe that's because I live about 10,000 miles away from friends and family now. Why move to a different state just for a little more money or sunshine? Being around friends and family worth more than that to me.