Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'd like to see them handle that for a six-month deployment to the western Pacific. At least they've solved the problems of boomerang kids and high-stress hosting. Not many options for broken toilets or snoring spouses, though.

Enterprising landlords could quickly & cheaply start up their own mobile-home parks on just about any vacant lot with utility service...

If they survive 6 months in that trailer, they will be ready for the submarine force.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #22

Stop Workin' and start Livin'

The good life awaits you now !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inexpensive_transportation.jpg (62.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Inexpensive_housing.jpg (36.0 KB, 3 views)

Old 10-22-2008, 06:26 PM   #23

Ive lived in a car its not so bad specially in the summer. Course when your a teenager and all limber why everything is fine. Gosh now as an old man it might hurt my back.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Ive lived in a car its not so bad specially in the summer. Course when your a teenager and all limber why everything is fine. Gosh now as an old man it might hurt my back.
I lived in a car for several weeks; you're right about the age difference.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
It's fortunate they agree.....
On small being better??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

It would be a great little get away on some property in the mountains w/o HO rules -- but to live in full time...I would be building sheds and shaded/screened areas to spread out and make it just a sleeping area - I think 500 ft is about the minimum to be OK - make it 2 story and it still has a very small footprint.
I think I will stay where I am -- for now!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm a little surprised that the HOA rules in the area allow what is essentially a trailer to be parked in a residential area. We own property in a much less affluent area, and even there they wouldn't be allowed to stay. Maybe they got lucky and nobody thought of it, or it's an old neighborhood with no HOA.
HOAs usually only really exist in planned development lots and condo/townhouse areas. Any house with acres of property or built by an individual is not going to be subject to an HOA.

I could probably stand to live in that boat LG4NB.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:07 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I lived for 5 years in a 150 sq. ft. apartment and I loved it (but I don't think I could have shared that space with another human being). I had a small bathroom (toilet, sink, shower), a kitchenette (stove, fridge, toaster oven, sink and a small pantry) with a small kitchen table and 2 chairs, one desk, a sofa-bed with small coffee table, a couple of bookshelves and a fairly large closet for my clothes. The only thing I would miss: washer and dryer. But with those new compact, stack-up models, it would only require a couple of additional square feet. I would definitely do it again.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #29

I love those tumbleweed houses! Lowe's had a tiny house plan program a few years ago, I think they called them Katrina Cottages--and there were some really neat house plans in there.

We lived on a 28 foot boat and were fine, the only thing we missed was a shower, but if you both smell, then it isn't so bad!

Our Airstream is 28 feet, but it is positively vast compared to the boat--and it has a shower! I'd go with the RV every time in the space contest.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I lived for 5 years in a 150 sq. ft. apartment...
What were you in for?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:38 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
On small being better??
Hey it's their opinion...didn't say it was my cup o' tea.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:01 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What were you in for?
Hum, that would explain the bars on the windows.... LOL!

No I was poor, living on about $500 a month. The rent was cheap ($200 a month) and I didn't have much stuff so it all worked out. I don't miss the poverty thing, but I miss the smaller space. Now that I live in a 2500 sq. ft. house, I just look around and I see too much junk everywhere. I wish I could go back to a much smaller home, but the wife is not too keen on it...
Old 10-22-2008, 11:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality_of_Apathy View Post
HOAs usually only really exist in planned development lots and condo/townhouse areas. Any house with acres of property or built by an individual is not going to be subject to an HOA.
Maybe not, but they might be subject to zoning laws.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:48 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

On the Tumbleweed houses, he has changed his Web site. He used to show the floor plan of all his models. I studied the smallest one very closely, and discovered that it did not have a shower, and only room for a dry toilet.

Now, the smallest model is 65sqft. The info now says: bathroom is 3.5' x 2'. How does that compare to an RV bathroom? There's no info on what is inside that bathroom.

Here's a more reasonable alternative. Do you have an IKEA store near you? Have you seen their sample furnishing and decoration of tiny apartments or condos? Within 400-500 sqft IIRC, they've managed to have a setup with living room/bedroom/dining room/bathroom/kitchen. Looks comfortable to me. For me, the bathroom got to have a regular commode, with ventilation. That's non-negotiable.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #35

NW, that is my low standard as well. I need to have a shower and a toilet, that was one reason we sold the boat--because our next one has to have a shower. I'm okay with a boat or RV-style throne, but it can't be the porta-potty kind.

The Katrina Cottages are cute and reasonably sized--here's one I like that is 544 sq ft
Lowe's Home Improvement :: The Katrina Cottage

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:04 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Feel like I'm in a McMansion in our 1400 sq ft house. We built our place 25+ years ago as a downsize with retirement in mind. Didn't think about keeping it on one level so I hope our knees hold out. I think we could be happy with less but this is a nice size, easy to heat and paid for.

Jeb
Old 10-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb-NY View Post
Feel like I'm in a McMansion in our 1400 sq ft house.
Jeb
That IS a McMansion, compared to the European and Japanese standards.

My 2nd home, in the AZ mountain, is 1700sq.ft, but better built than my main home. I bought it as a possible final "resting place". Thought it was a bit small at first when we first got it, but I slowly realized I have not been up to the loft much, nor to the guest bedroom. So, I am happy that we did not buy bigger.

PS. By the way, the 65sqft home has the foot print of 2 sheets of 4'X8' plywood. He can't be serious!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #38

Here is how they live in small spaces in Japan (These are actual hotel rooms) - beleive it or not:

Stop Workin' and start Livin'
Old 10-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
(snip)
Here's a more reasonable alternative. Do you have an IKEA store near you? Have you seen their sample furnishing and decoration of tiny apartments or condos? Within 400-500 sqft IIRC, they've managed to have a setup with living room/bedroom/dining room/bathroom/kitchen. Looks comfortable to me. For me, the bathroom got to have a regular commode, with ventilation. That's non-negotiable.
There's an IKEA near me, and one of the displays is a studio apartment in under 300 square feet. It has a kitchen area with dining table, "real" bathroom including a shower, and even a little home office. The bed is on a loft in the living room part of the display. It would only work with high ceilings, though. They also have a "kitchen in one cabinet" in some of their kitchen cabinet styles that I think would work real well in a tiny space.

P.S. Tumbleweeds gave a design seminar here this summer on how to build one of those little cottages if you don't want to lay out the bucks to have one built for you. He is definitely not kidding about the 64 square feet. That's too small for me but I am planning a house about 400 square feet.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:49 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I have talked to engineer friends, who told me that's the lodging accomodation Japanese engineers were allowed when sent on domestic business trips.

Wouldn't mind having a cubby hole like that on intercontinental flights though!

Was told it could not be done due to safety issues. How does one sit up and tighten seatbelt? I would gladly sign any waiver, so my surviving kinship won't sue.