Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-23-2008, 10:06 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Wouldn't mind having a cubby hole like that on intercontinental flights though!
Would the stewardess crawl in there with you to reward you for your frequent flyer miles ?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Now, the smallest model is 65sqft. The info now says: bathroom is 3.5' x 2'. How does that compare to an RV bathroom? There's no info on what is inside that bathroom.
Dunno what is in the tumbleweed bath, but that is about the dimensions of the bath in our trailer. We have what is known as a "wet bath" which means that when you shower the toilet seat gets wet. It is real tight, but if you aren't too big you can get the job done. At 5'11" and 186#, I fit, but much over 6' and/or 200# and you would have issues. Mostly we shower in the campground showers, since it is easier and less of a mess to deal with. But when boondocking or in a pinch, it is awfully nice to be able to take even a cramped shower.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Would the stewardess crawl in there with you to reward you for your frequent flyer miles ?
NICE THOUGHT!

Er, I am afraid I have not travelled enough to have the astronomical frequent mileage that they would require.

Er, my wife usually travels with me too.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I couldn't do a small house. No place to reload ammunition, entertain guests (not in any particular order), do model railroading, sort massive amounts of laundry, get away from wife and/or kids, etc. Along with that, all the obvious (fix a big meal, comfortably watch TV, have a computer desk, etc.).

...maybe if I had a big garage, but that kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it.

...back on the ammuntion issue. In a small house, there's no place to store massive amounts of food/water and hide from/shoot the looters when armageddon comes. Tornadoes?

-CC
Old 10-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
But when boondocking or in a pinch, it is awfully nice to be able to take even a cramped shower.
I am sure!

While window shopping for an RV (have not made up my mind yet whether we could use, or even afford one now), I saw the RoadTrek which looks interesting, but requires you to take shower in the middle of the aisle, after deploying a shower curtain.

Can't see living my whole life like that though.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:46 AM   #46

Quote:
I am sure!

While window shopping for an RV (have not made up my mind yet whether we could use, or even afford one now), I saw the RoadTrek which looks interesting, but requires you to take shower in the middle of the aisle, after deploying a shower curtain.

Can't see living my whole life like that though.
Look at C class RV's as they have more room,The B class (Roadtreks etc) might be good for weekend getaways for 1 or 2 people but any kind of fulltiming and its going to get very cramped very quickly.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I was drawn to the RoadTrek for the gas mileage. As for fulltiming in one, my portfolio has not been down that bad yet (knock on wood). Hey, my stick houses are paid for. I just have to have utilities turned off ...
Old 10-23-2008, 11:11 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

We currently rent unit #4 to a physician's assistant, all utilities paid, for $285/month:

158 sq. ft. apartment. She's been there over a year - stays 3-4 nights a week and finds it a better option than 2-3 hours driving per day to and from her main home when she's working down here.

The bathroom has a shower and toilet, some shelves, and a toilet topper sink - over which i do battle with the local health and safety inspector:

Wash Your Hands With Toilet Water : TreeHugger

Under counter frig, microwave and/or hot plate. It benefits greatly from two walls of windows!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mill-4 (5).jpg (29.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg mill-4 (6).jpg (42.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg mill-4 (7).jpg (35.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8961.jpg (712.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Calmloki, you are a good landlord. Nice, clean and reasonably priced apartments. About toilet topper, my wife who has been to Japan told me it's popular there. Makes a lot of sense to me. I wish we use them here in the US. What's the problem with safety inspector?
Old 10-23-2008, 11:29 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Calmloki, you are a good landlord. Nice, clean and reasonably priced apartments. About toilet topper, my wife who has been to Japan told me it's popular there. Makes a lot of sense to me. I wish we use them here in the US. What's the problem with safety inspector?
The gal won't let me get away with much, so thanks - we try. Problem for him is that there is no hot water, cold only. As he delicately explained, one might get poopy on one's hands and then be forced to wash in the kitchen sink. He wanted me to plumb in another sink right in front of the main door not 3 feet from the kitchen sink. I found data on a liquid soap that claimed to be as germicidal as regular soap and hot water, but think the turning point in the discussion was when i dropped off pictures of a couple local parks with cold water only restrooms next to playground equipment and picnic tables. Gotta think that there is substantially greater risk in the public sector than in a single person unit.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #51

Very clever, Calmloki--ingenuity beats bureaucracy! YAY!
I'd never heard of the toilet topper sink--very interesting. Thanks for the link.
One of the cool things I saw in New Zealand were these tiny half size sinks--sorta like a bar sink but more rectangular that fit into these teeny bathrooms they had.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'd say it is a lot more cramped. Most RV's are 200 SF or more (8' x 25' or larger).
Yeah, guess it would help if I did the math. 100 square feet would be a lot smaller than a typical RV. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

If my portfolio keeps shrinking, I'm gonna be living in my friend's little house.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

'Course, one could always go to the other extreme, space-wise:

Property & Auction Location:
5335 Summit Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030

Property Description:
This 25,000+/- square foot, luxury home is minutes from Washington, DC. The home is situated at the end of a secluded road on a 3.47 +/- acre site and has a private guardhouse with its own half bath just inside the electronic gates. The property is completely enclosed with brick/wrought iron walls and privacy fencing. This 8 bedroom, 9 full bath, 4 half bath home is the perfect place for any distinguished lifestyle. Each room is graced with exquisite detail: custom moldings and cabinetry, designer marble, hardwood floors and fine fixtures. The large landscaped yard, patios, expansive decks and outdoor dining and barbeque area, lower level entertainment area with screening room, bar and ballroom; open kitchen and family room; and formal living and dining rooms offer many options for entertaining guests in either small intimate gatherings or large formal or informal affairs.

US Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia Case # 08-13293-SSM

Lahr-de-da - Oim ahf to play the grahnd piano!

Old 10-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
The gal won't let me get away with much, so thanks - we try. Problem for him is that there is no hot water, cold only. As he delicately explained, one might get poopy on one's hands and then be forced to wash in the kitchen sink. He wanted me to plumb in another sink right in front of the main door not 3 feet from the kitchen sink. I found data on a liquid soap that claimed to be as germicidal as regular soap and hot water, but think the turning point in the discussion was when i dropped off pictures of a couple local parks with cold water only restrooms next to playground equipment and picnic tables. Gotta think that there is substantially greater risk in the public sector than in a single person unit.
I would think a bottle of waterless hand sanitizer in the bathroom would remove any lingering doubts.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:14 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Am I not supposed to wash my hands in the kitchen sink for some reason?
Old 10-23-2008, 06:36 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Am I not supposed to wash my hands in the kitchen sink for some reason?
The thought is that food prep areas and general hygene areas should be separate. I get the thinking, but am a bit less compulsive than the inspector was - suggested to him that the shower with hot water was right there. Also mentioned that if a tenant was getting poopy (honest - his term) on his hands that he wasn't really getting the whole bathroom hygene idea - but no - insisted on a separate hot water wash sink.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
The thought is that food prep areas and general hygene areas should be separate. I get the thinking, but am a bit less compulsive than the inspector was - suggested to him that the shower with hot water was right there. Also mentioned that if a tenant was getting poopy (honest - his term) on his hands that he wasn't really getting the whole bathroom hygene idea - but no - insisted on a separate hot water wash sink.
I tend to wash my hands in the kitchen sink (in the winter) because it's closer to the water heater and the water warms up faster.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:20 PM   #59

Speaking of the extreme opposite:

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
Old 10-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #60

Just a quick comment about those Japanese Capsule Hotels.

Japan has lots of different types of hotel, most of which are not capsules. Those types are used primarily by guys who live outside of the city (commute by train more than an hour) when they have worked very late (or have stayed out late drinking) and the trains have stopped running. More often than not a business person on a planned trip stays in a business hotel which has small rooms, but not stacked capsules like this.