Downsizing to 100 square feet of bliss

Boxkicker

Recycles dryer sheets
art.redhouse.cnn.jpg

CALISTOGA, California (CNN) -- Bill and Sharon Kastrinos practice the ultimate in minimalism. They've squeezed into a 154-square-foot home that looks more like a kid's playhouse than their previous 1,800-square-foot home.

With the economy crashing, the Kastrinos traded in their spacious kitchen for one that stretches barely an arm's length.

It hasn't been without its challenges, but Sharon Kastrinos says it's exhilarating to no longer feel compelled to keep up with the Joneses.

"There's a tremendous burden that's off your shoulders," she says. "Small is OK, and it might even be better."

Her husband adds that most Americans "want to be seen in their big house with a big car." But not them, not anymore.

"I don't think bigger is better," he says.

[moderator edit: copyright]
http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/10/22/tiny.houses/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it!! That is a great option for those young enough to climb up into that loft bed. 56 square feet is pretty big for a bed.

Cooking in there might be a little hard to do.

I'd like to see them handle that for a six-month deployment to the western Pacific. At least they've solved the problems of boomerang kids and high-stress hosting. Not many options for broken toilets or snoring spouses, though.

Enterprising landlords could quickly & cheaply start up their own mobile-home parks on just about any vacant lot with utility service...

I've seen those ultra small places before on Treehugger. In ER I'm looking to downsize to a 2 bed place less than 1000 sqft and probably a lot less. Has anyone seen the show "Small Space, Big Style". I'm thinking of a prefab house something like this

http://www.m-house.org/index.php

Enterprising landlords could quickly & cheaply start up their own mobile-home parks on just about any vacant lot with utility service...

You could fit about 100 of these (with cars) in a parking lot. If the tenants bought their own tiny homes, and paid a flat average fee for the utilities, and you charged a mere $200/month rent for the space, you could get a yearly gross income of $240,000. :D

Well, less the cost of security and legal fees and... :rolleyes: Think I'll pass!

I'm a little surprised that the HOA rules in the area allow what is essentially a trailer to be parked in a residential area. We own property in a much less affluent area, and even there they wouldn't be allowed to stay. Maybe they got lucky and nobody thought of it, or it's an old neighborhood with no HOA.

Anyway, not my cup of tea. When I camp, my tent is nearly that big. But good luck to them. Different strokes and all that.

I could easily live in this! And DH in a separate one! But I thought the same thing re zoning. Also where we live you cannot sleep overnight in a vehicle, which I guess this would be considered as it has wheels and is designed to be towable. The places I'm imagining this kind of structure would be fun in probably don't offer electrical outlets or plumbing.

I notice this building's owners now have a business making them for other people and also still own their "big" home--wonder if they really live in this small structure full time.

I had a couple of friends who got married and lived on a 28' sailboat on the Potomac for 4 years. Then they bought a 2800 sf house, and were divorced within 18 months. I'm not sure what the lesson is here, but I had more fun visiting them on the boat. ;)

I'll take option #3 please - the Chapin cottage. I think we would be divorced within a day if we had to share option #1, seasickness puts option #2 out of contention.

Those trailers look comfy. Maybe I can let my beard grow out nice and long too. Get me a flannel shirt. Ill be ready to go! :)

The travel trailer we own is roughly 100 squares and two adults, two small kids and two small dogs spend 2 to 5 days at a time in it. We spend a fair amount of our time outside on these trips. I have contemplated a much longer trip (a few weeks) with this crew, but to permanently live in such a space, well... Maybe without the kids it would be doable. Maybe.

I'd like to see them handle that for a six-month deployment to the western Pacific. At least they've solved the problems of boomerang kids and high-stress hosting. Not many options for broken toilets or snoring spouses, though.

If they survive 6 months in that trailer, they will be ready for the submarine force.

Stop Workin' and start Livin'

The good life awaits you now !

Attachments

• Inexpensive_transportation.jpg
    Inexpensive_transportation.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Inexpensive_housing.jpg
    Inexpensive_housing.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 3
Ive lived in a car its not so bad specially in the summer. Course when your a teenager and all limber why everything is fine. ;) Gosh now as an old man it might hurt my back.

Ive lived in a car its not so bad specially in the summer. Course when your a teenager and all limber why everything is fine. ;) Gosh now as an old man it might hurt my back.

I lived in a car for several weeks; you're right about the age difference.

Back
Top Bottom