Downsizing to 100 square feet of bliss

Very clever, Calmloki--ingenuity beats bureaucracy! YAY!
I'd never heard of the toilet topper sink--very interesting. Thanks for the link.
One of the cool things I saw in New Zealand were these tiny half size sinks--sorta like a bar sink but more rectangular that fit into these teeny bathrooms they had.

If my portfolio keeps shrinking, I'm gonna be living in my friend's little house.
img_736657_0_251c199b6023189b5e09004ffb41c875.gif

'Course, one could always go to the other extreme, space-wise:

Property & Auction Location:
5335 Summit Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030

Property Description:
This 25,000+/- square foot, luxury home is minutes from Washington, DC. The home is situated at the end of a secluded road on a 3.47 +/- acre site and has a private guardhouse with its own half bath just inside the electronic gates. The property is completely enclosed with brick/wrought iron walls and privacy fencing. This 8 bedroom, 9 full bath, 4 half bath home is the perfect place for any distinguished lifestyle. Each room is graced with exquisite detail: custom moldings and cabinetry, designer marble, hardwood floors and fine fixtures. The large landscaped yard, patios, expansive decks and outdoor dining and barbeque area, lower level entertainment area with screening room, bar and ballroom; open kitchen and family room; and formal living and dining rooms offer many options for entertaining guests in either small intimate gatherings or large formal or informal affairs.

US Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia Case # 08-13293-SSM

Lahr-de-da - Oim ahf to play the grahnd piano!

The gal won't let me get away with much, so thanks - we try. Problem for him is that there is no hot water, cold only. As he delicately explained, one might get poopy on one's hands and then be forced to wash in the kitchen sink. He wanted me to plumb in another sink right in front of the main door not 3 feet from the kitchen sink. I found data on a liquid soap that claimed to be as germicidal as regular soap and hot water, but think the turning point in the discussion was when i dropped off pictures of a couple local parks with cold water only restrooms next to playground equipment and picnic tables. Gotta think that there is substantially greater risk in the public sector than in a single person unit.
I would think a bottle of waterless hand sanitizer in the bathroom would remove any lingering doubts.

The gal won't let me get away with much, so thanks - we try. Problem for him is that there is no hot water, cold only. As he delicately explained, one might get poopy on one's hands and then be forced to wash in the kitchen sink. He wanted me to plumb in another sink right in front of the main door not 3 feet from the kitchen sink. I found data on a liquid soap that claimed to be as germicidal as regular soap and hot water, but think the turning point in the discussion was when i dropped off pictures of a couple local parks with cold water only restrooms next to playground equipment and picnic tables. Gotta think that there is substantially greater risk in the public sector than in a single person unit.

Am I not supposed to wash my hands in the kitchen sink for some reason?

Am I not supposed to wash my hands in the kitchen sink for some reason?

The thought is that food prep areas and general hygene areas should be separate. I get the thinking, but am a bit less compulsive than the inspector was - suggested to him that the shower with hot water was right there. Also mentioned that if a tenant was getting poopy (honest - his term) on his hands that he wasn't really getting the whole bathroom hygene idea - but no - insisted on a separate hot water wash sink.

The thought is that food prep areas and general hygene areas should be separate. I get the thinking, but am a bit less compulsive than the inspector was - suggested to him that the shower with hot water was right there. Also mentioned that if a tenant was getting poopy (honest - his term) on his hands that he wasn't really getting the whole bathroom hygene idea - but no - insisted on a separate hot water wash sink.

I tend to wash my hands in the kitchen sink (in the winter) because it's closer to the water heater and the water warms up faster.

Just a quick comment about those Japanese Capsule Hotels.

Japan has lots of different types of hotel, most of which are not capsules. Those types are used primarily by guys who live outside of the city (commute by train more than an hour) when they have worked very late (or have stayed out late drinking) and the trains have stopped running. More often than not a business person on a planned trip stays in a business hotel which has small rooms, but not stacked capsules like this.

Now THAT just looks trashy, to me! I think I'd rather live in a cardboard box. :rolleyes:

Actually, I'll just happily stick with the 1558 square foot 3/2 brick home that I've got, for now.

So the bear market isn't biting that hard yet? ;)

I agree on the looks of that unit - that's pretty much a third world housing iteration. But looks can be changed by the application of money.... and/or taste.

I'm guessing it would act like Faraday's cage.

.....and would have no radio reception.

Seriously this is a fantastic topic. There are going to be big shifts in how and where we live in the near future. I'm looking at many of the prefab options and I love those "container homes"

Stack them up: an instant 2-story.

Side-by-side: a double wide.

Hey, I am not there yet, but doesn't that beat the freeway overpass? Roof over your head, plus it is not as easy to break into like stick houses, I think.

I would think a bottle of waterless hand sanitizer in the bathroom would remove any lingering doubts.
... and any lingering "residue"...

Maybe the inspector would have gone for a Japanese-design toilet with an in-bowl hot-water washdown spray system. It'd save on toilet paper too!

Just a quick comment about those Japanese Capsule Hotels.
It's more roomy than stateroom berthing on a USS LOS ANGELES-class submarine. But then the staterooms have in-room fold-down sinks, more storage, and emergency air-breathing systems too...

Two years ago, I began a total remodel (gutting) of a house on the ranch. Since it was not feasible to live in the house, I bought a 35' Airstream trailer & set it up on a knoll overlooking pastures, pecan groves, and ponds. The trailer is awesome - hardwood floors, corian countertops, washer/dryer, entertainment center, ample storage etc. Upon completion of the house, it took me an additional month to vacate my cozy nest - I adored living in it! (I even considered renting the newly completed house and living full time in the camper)My parents freaked & my bro, Dallas McMansion owner, said"Great, my sister is Oklahoma trailer trash".
I haven't sold the camper, as originally planned, it's just soooo wonderful...common sense dictates that it needs to go....sigh

Back
Top Bottom