Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Does anyone know, is RVing commonplace in europe? They've had high gas prices forever. Whatever the answer is, it might be a sign of trends to come here in North America.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2008, 12:28 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes - they call it caravanning there and in general use much smaller trailers/motorhomes.

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
Yes - they call it caravanning there and in general use much smaller trailers/motorhomes.

DD
And some downright sexy Airstreams
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Caravanning is also very popular in New Zealand--if I ever go back for a trip, we'll be going campervan style!

Yeah, my airstream, not so sexy, like the old great aunt of airstreams! Of course, I am pretty sure the Argosy came about because they had some panels that weren't pretty enough for the "bare"stream, so began the legacy of the painted Airstreams--the Argosy model, which came in both trailer and coach models.
We get about 10 mpg, usually stay fairly close to home for most of our camping, but every year do go up to Virginia and that costs a pretty penny. But that is for the music festival and we'll do that if we have to eat mac-n-cheese for a month to afford it. Here's the aftermath...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0306.jpg (606.5 KB, 1 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:42 PM   #25

Another way to go is a smaller RV. We had a 1985 VW camper but last year passed that on to older son (& grandchildren!). I wanted a teardrop but DW wanted a potty, shower, AC and such comforts so we went up one size to a T@da
www.tada-rv.com - T@DA - Microlite RV Teardrop Travel Trailer - TADA TAB Daddy

We tow it with a Jeep Liberty diesel, get 20 MPG while towing (on the flat, forget that going up the Grapevine). So far we have been out a couple times and loved it. Expect to do a lot more camping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T@da.jpg (56.4 KB, 89 views)
Old 05-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yakers, two words: SO JEALOUS!
What a beauty--I have coveted one of those ever since I saw them for the first time! And best of all...it's RED!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:48 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought a 1/2 acre recreational lake lot about 50 miles from our house. The 30ft 5th wheel and all toys sit out there all year. Doesn't take many tanks of gas and crummy camping stalls to have that make sense.

I actually think that we may see the value of rec properties rise as any price sensitive folks who previously drove or pulled big RV's around start looking at keeping costs at a controlled level.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

As they say, if it flies, floats or ****s, you are better off renting it !!
Old 05-21-2008, 11:16 AM   #29

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/20/business/20repo.html
boat repo man story

Quote:
“I oversaturated myself with long-term debt,” he said. “It was a risk, a calculated risk. I obviously lost.” He is declaring bankruptcy.
$175k boat; interest-only loan. I would love to see his 'calculations' on that..
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote