DQOTD: Fix car misalignment?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DW hit a serious pothole about six months ago, it was jarring enough that she came home and told me. But no apparent driving issue, the car does not pull/track off-center while driving or braking.

Took it in for an oil change last week, and the dealer reported alignment was way out at three corners - both fronts, rear passenger side [No idea why they checked alignment on a routine $30 oil change]. Maybe too soon, but no evidence of uneven tire wear either - I looked very closely.

I will probably have it fixed, the car will need new tires within a year, but I'm surprised there are no apparent "symptoms" of misalignment?

If no symptoms, I'd let it ride and have it aligned when you get new tires. Check the tire and rim for damage.

+1. Around here you can usually get a 4-wheel alignment for free or a heavily discounted price if it is bundled with buying 4 tires.

Never heard of dealer checking alignment at time of oil change. Sounds like they were trolling for extra $$$. Agree with others, wait for new tires and then get it aligned.

Took it in for an oil change last week, and the dealer reported alignment was way out at three corners - both fronts, rear passenger side [No idea why they checked alignment on a routine $30 oil change].

Did whoever took it in mention the pothole incident? That might explain why they checked/trolled for the extra income.

My dealer always does a 'multi-point' inspection with an oil change which includes the tires and steering components. Funny thing is they do the 'inspection' even if you get the basic $19.99 oil change instead of the deluxe $34.99 oil change with multi-point inspection.

Are there a lot of potholes in your part of the country? If so, the dealer may know to check vehicles for alignment at this time of the year.

My dealer always does a 'multi-point' inspection with an oil change which includes the tires and steering components. Funny thing is they do the 'inspection' even if you get the basic $19.99 oil change instead of the deluxe $34.99 oil change with multi-point inspection.
I agree. Most inspections are just fishing for extra work, which may or may not really be needed.

Doing a visual inspection of suspension components will not reveal a misalignment, unless a component is bent, damaged or there is a worn bushing.

I am planning to wait, I will be buying new tires before next winter at the latest. But I am still puzzled how I can have an alignment problem with none of the symptoms I'd expect - pulling, tire wear.

Did whoever took it in mention the pothole incident? That might explain why they checked/trolled for the extra income.
Nope, I took it in and never said a word. They mentioned a slow leak in the front right tire (we'd noticed it, only during very cold weather), a very minor bent rim (we can fix it for $25 :confused:), and then told me about the misalignment. Again, it was dropped for a $30 oil change ONLY, not an XXX mile checkup or any other service.

Are there a lot of potholes in your part of the country? If so, the dealer may know to check vehicles for alignment at this time of the year.
Yep, we're pothole central, so could be...

Doing a visual inspection of suspension components will not reveal a misalignment, unless a component is bent, damaged or there is a worn bushing.
I don't think it was a visual based on the two page color report they provided...

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
That might be the report you get from one of those devices they just drive the car over. The dealership I use has one that's installed in a way that every car that comes in gets driven over it and has alignment checked. I don't know how accurate they are. My car has not shown a problem, but it's only a year old and has only been in twice.

That might be the report you get from one of those devices they just drive the car over. The dealership I use has one that's installed in a way that every car that comes in gets driven over it and has alignment checked. I don't know how accurate they are. My car has not shown a problem, but it's only a year old and has only been in twice.
Interesting, I didn't know there was a drive over alignment tool, but Google showed me. I'll bet you're right, I can't imagine they'd do a full optical alignment with a $30 oil change. And I know tire dealers seem to be doing free alignment checks with new tires these days too, I was wondering about that too. I suspect if the customers bites for a paid alignment based on the drive over (evidently reasonably accurate), hopefully they do an optical and adjust camber/caster/toe in-out on that basis. Thanks.

Last edited:
.......but I'm surprised there are no apparent "symptoms" of misalignment?

Won't always feel misalignment. I just had two cars realigned. Neither felt bad at all. But after significant driving both had scrub where on the inside of the back tires. Good luck with yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Never heard of dealer checking alignment at time of oil change. Sounds like they were trolling for extra $$$. Agree with others, wait for new tires and then get it aligned.

+1

They are trolling for extra $$$s.... I took my car in for a recall and they checked the alignment out.... since it was my mom's old car I knew she had hit a few things along the way so thought "OK, it could be"... paid to get it done...

The next day took in my other car for recall and low and behold, it was out of alignment!!! I declined to get it done...

Told my sister about it and when she took her car in for an oil change, well, 3 out of 3 cars out of alignment!!!

Just to let you know, they are all Hyundai.....

So, either the dealer is trolling for money and not doing anything OR do not buy a Hyundai as they are crap on keeping an alignment.... as two of these cars had less then 15,000 miles...

Edit to add after reading other posts.... they had the alignment machine outside where they write you up... before driving it in the shop they have a guy put something on your wheels and it prints out a reading.... took only a few minutes for him to do and I bet it is paying off big time....

Last edited:
Perhaps a dumb question, but what does DQOTD stand for..??

Dumb question of the day😳

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

My suggestion is that if you can't see wear on the tires wait until you replace them later this year, and get the car aligned at the same time. If you hit one pothole there may be others lying in wait before you get the new tires. Better to align when you replace the tires to keep the new tires from wearing badly.

If you have a bent rim, chuck it. Don't even consider a "Repair" . Hitting something with enough force to cause that will usually make the entire wheel out of round, not detectable visually and a cosmetic repair is unwise IMO.

If you have a bent rim, chuck it. Don't even consider a "Repair" . Hitting something with enough force to cause that will usually make the entire wheel out of round, not detectable visually and a cosmetic repair is unwise IMO.
We'll see. There's no visible ding unless it's on the inside. Very slow leak, and I'm told it may not leak in summer. And I'm not putting a new factory alloy rim on a 2007 Toyota...

We'll see. There's no visible ding unless it's on the inside. Very slow leak, and I'm told it may not leak in summer. And I'm not putting a new factory alloy rim on a 2007 Toyota...
A tire shop can do a simple run out test or you might even feel it as vibration, especially on a front wheel.

You can put a used wheel on it if you don't car to be bothered on checking the pressure every week. I had alloy rims on my old PT Cruiser that the tire shop could never seal. Something about the porosity of the aluminum casting.

Shops around here will do a free alignment check. It might be a good idea to get a 2nd opinion somewhere ese to keep the 1st guy honest.

But I too watch the tire wear and driving "feel" If I don't see any abnormal wear or feel anything strange, I don't bother checking alignment. No abnormal wear in 6 months and wanting to change tires in the next year? I think I'd wait for new tires and have it done then.

Back
Top Bottom