Join Early Retirement Today

DQOTD: Fix car misalignment?
Old 04-03-2016, 05:43 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DQOTD: Fix car misalignment?

DW hit a serious pothole about six months ago, it was jarring enough that she came home and told me. But no apparent driving issue, the car does not pull/track off-center while driving or braking.

Took it in for an oil change last week, and the dealer reported alignment was way out at three corners - both fronts, rear passenger side [No idea why they checked alignment on a routine $30 oil change]. Maybe too soon, but no evidence of uneven tire wear either - I looked very closely.

I will probably have it fixed, the car will need new tires within a year, but I'm surprised there are no apparent "symptoms" of misalignment?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

If no symptoms, I'd let it ride and have it aligned when you get new tires. Check the tire and rim for damage.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

+1. Around here you can usually get a 4-wheel alignment for free or a heavily discounted price if it is bundled with buying 4 tires.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:19 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Never heard of dealer checking alignment at time of oil change. Sounds like they were trolling for extra $$$. Agree with others, wait for new tires and then get it aligned.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Took it in for an oil change last week, and the dealer reported alignment was way out at three corners - both fronts, rear passenger side [No idea why they checked alignment on a routine $30 oil change].
Did whoever took it in mention the pothole incident? That might explain why they checked/trolled for the extra income.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #6

My dealer always does a 'multi-point' inspection with an oil change which includes the tires and steering components. Funny thing is they do the 'inspection' even if you get the basic $19.99 oil change instead of the deluxe $34.99 oil change with multi-point inspection.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #7

Are there a lot of potholes in your part of the country? If so, the dealer may know to check vehicles for alignment at this time of the year.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:01 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
My dealer always does a 'multi-point' inspection with an oil change which includes the tires and steering components. Funny thing is they do the 'inspection' even if you get the basic $19.99 oil change instead of the deluxe $34.99 oil change with multi-point inspection.
I agree. Most inspections are just fishing for extra work, which may or may not really be needed.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #9

I learned what DQOTD stood for. My lesson for the day.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:19 AM   #10

Doing a visual inspection of suspension components will not reveal a misalignment, unless a component is bent, damaged or there is a worn bushing.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I am planning to wait, I will be buying new tires before next winter at the latest. But I am still puzzled how I can have an alignment problem with none of the symptoms I'd expect - pulling, tire wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Did whoever took it in mention the pothole incident? That might explain why they checked/trolled for the extra income.
Nope, I took it in and never said a word. They mentioned a slow leak in the front right tire (we'd noticed it, only during very cold weather), a very minor bent rim (we can fix it for $25 ), and then told me about the misalignment. Again, it was dropped for a $30 oil change ONLY, not an XXX mile checkup or any other service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Are there a lot of potholes in your part of the country? If so, the dealer may know to check vehicles for alignment at this time of the year.
Yep, we're pothole central, so could be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Doing a visual inspection of suspension components will not reveal a misalignment, unless a component is bent, damaged or there is a worn bushing.
I don't think it was a visual based on the two page color report they provided...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0003.jpg (515.1 KB, 14 views)

Old 04-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

That might be the report you get from one of those devices they just drive the car over. The dealership I use has one that's installed in a way that every car that comes in gets driven over it and has alignment checked. I don't know how accurate they are. My car has not shown a problem, but it's only a year old and has only been in twice.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
That might be the report you get from one of those devices they just drive the car over. The dealership I use has one that's installed in a way that every car that comes in gets driven over it and has alignment checked. I don't know how accurate they are. My car has not shown a problem, but it's only a year old and has only been in twice.
Interesting, I didn't know there was a drive over alignment tool, but Google showed me. I'll bet you're right, I can't imagine they'd do a full optical alignment with a $30 oil change. And I know tire dealers seem to be doing free alignment checks with new tires these days too, I was wondering about that too. I suspect if the customers bites for a paid alignment based on the drive over (evidently reasonably accurate), hopefully they do an optical and adjust camber/caster/toe in-out on that basis. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
.......but I'm surprised there are no apparent "symptoms" of misalignment?

Won't always feel misalignment. I just had two cars realigned. Neither felt bad at all. But after significant driving both had scrub where on the inside of the back tires. Good luck with yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-03-2016, 05:26 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Never heard of dealer checking alignment at time of oil change. Sounds like they were trolling for extra $$$. Agree with others, wait for new tires and then get it aligned.

+1

They are trolling for extra $$$s.... I took my car in for a recall and they checked the alignment out.... since it was my mom's old car I knew she had hit a few things along the way so thought "OK, it could be"... paid to get it done...

The next day took in my other car for recall and low and behold, it was out of alignment!!! I declined to get it done...

Told my sister about it and when she took her car in for an oil change, well, 3 out of 3 cars out of alignment!!!

Just to let you know, they are all Hyundai.....

So, either the dealer is trolling for money and not doing anything OR do not buy a Hyundai as they are crap on keeping an alignment.... as two of these cars had less then 15,000 miles...

Edit to add after reading other posts.... they had the alignment machine outside where they write you up... before driving it in the shop they have a guy put something on your wheels and it prints out a reading.... took only a few minutes for him to do and I bet it is paying off big time....
Old 04-03-2016, 05:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I learned what DQOTD stood for. My lesson for the day.
Perhaps a dumb question, but what does DQOTD stand for..??
Old 04-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post

Dumb question of the day😳

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Good one!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Good one!
Thanks
Old 04-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #20

My suggestion is that if you can't see wear on the tires wait until you replace them later this year, and get the car aligned at the same time. If you hit one pothole there may be others lying in wait before you get the new tires. Better to align when you replace the tires to keep the new tires from wearing badly.