Join Early Retirement Today

DQOTD: Why does my iPad Wi-Fi connection keep locking up?
Old 01-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DQOTD: Why does my iPad Wi-Fi connection keep locking up?

Not a big issue, but a nuisance, and I like solving puzzles like this. At least once/day my iPad just stops playing nice with our home wi-fi connection, even though the wireless connection icon is still showing on the iPad. All I have to do is go into Settings on my iPad, switch wi-fi off, and then switch it back on again - and everything is fine. I've done this hundreds of times.
  • I always keep our iOS software updated with the latest version, and through several iOS updates, the problem persists. So not iOS?
  • I have updated the firmware on my Linksys router, hasn't helped.
  • I have never had any issues with internet connectivity from my PC, hardwired into the modem, so evidently it's not the ISP.
Have any of you run into this, and found a fix?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

This happens occasionally, and when it does, I am often doing some data-intensive activity such as watching a video on YouTube. I find it is helpful to close down all the apps that are running in the background (here are frequently 30 or more). To do this, press the round button twice and swipe each window upwards.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you have any other wifi devices, and if so, are they losing their connection so often? I assume not, or you would have mentioned them. I've seen wifi routers/APs start developing hardware problems, as well as client devices, and I've had to replace them. Someone nearby could be causing your problem by trying to hijack your wifi connection as well, but I don't think it's likely. You could try changing your router SSID and channel (if it isn't on auto) and see if it helps.
niven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you have your router setup as a DHCP server and given out IP addresses? I usually like to reserve specific IP addresses for my devices so I don't run into issues of IP addresses trying to renew a lease, it can sometimes cause disconnections.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Does someone run a shredder or the microwave at that time, as both broadcast a lot of radio wave interference.
If you are in an apt, your neighbor's microwave can affect you.
Also see how many other neighbors are broadcasting their wifi on the same channel as you, and consider switching to a less used channel.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I doubt the following will work, but if all else fails you could try this just to eliminate the easy stuff:

(1) stop all processes on your iPad (as Meadbh suggested).
(2) Then completely shut down and reboot your router, modem, and iPad.
(3) Disconnect the iPad from your router (under "Settings", "WiFi", wait a few minutes, and then reconnect it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:10 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
This happens occasionally, and when it does, I am often doing some data-intensive activity such as watching a video on YouTube. I find it is helpful to close down all the apps that are running in the background (here are frequently 30 or more). To do this, press the round button twice and swipe each window upwards.
Hmmm. We did buy a smart TV some time ago. Wonder if that would cause it even though I'm not using any apps on the TV when the iPad wifi freezes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niven View Post
Do you have any other wifi devices, and if so, are they losing their connection so often? I assume not, or you would have mentioned them. I've seen wifi routers/APs start developing hardware problems, as well as client devices, and I've had to replace them. Someone nearby could be causing your problem by trying to hijack your wifi connection as well, but I don't think it's likely. You could try changing your router SSID and channel (if it isn't on auto) and see if it helps.
I use smart TV apps daily, and about 2-3 times/month the TV says no internet connection? I press reset on the router, and the TV connects again. I also doubt a neighbor is trying to hijack our wifi, though it's possible. We changed the router name and password a few months ago, so that should have thrown them off if they were? And our password was pretty solid before anyway.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Do you have your router setup as a DHCP server and given out IP addresses? I usually like to reserve specific IP addresses for my devices so I don't run into issues of IP addresses trying to renew a lease, it can sometimes cause disconnections.
I think the IP address is set, but I'll double check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Does someone run a shredder or the microwave at that time, as both broadcast a lot of radio wave interference.
If you are in an apt, your neighbor's microwave can affect you.
Also see how many other neighbors are broadcasting their wifi on the same channel as you, and consider switching to a less used channel.
Doesn't correlate with running appliances (same observation as above), unless I'm losing the connection between iPad sessions without realizing it - seems likely. Not in an apt.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I doubt the following will work, but if all else fails you could try this just to eliminate the easy stuff:

(1) stop all processes on your iPad (as Meadbh suggested).
(2) Then completely shut down and reboot your router, modem, and iPad.
(3) Disconnect the iPad from your router (under "Settings", "WiFi", wait a few minutes, and then reconnect it.
Thanks, I have tried all that many times, but it would have been helpful a few months ago when I started this problem solving.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Thanks, I have tried all that many times, but it would have been helpful a few months ago when I started this problem solving.
Sorry! And good luck with the other measures you plan to take. For some reason the procedure I outlined worked for me when my iPad wi-fi was giving me problems after a severe thunderstorm in the area. But honestly, I did not really expect it to work for you. Oh well.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:23 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

1. Order a new router from Amazon.
2. Replace your current router.
3. If that doesn't fix the problem, return the router to Amazon.
4. Buy a new Ipad...
Old 01-15-2017, 03:31 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I use smart TV apps daily, and about 2-3 times/month the TV says no internet connection? I press reset on the router, and the TV connects again. I also doubt a neighbor is trying to hijack our wifi, though it's possible. We changed the router name and password a few months ago, so that should have thrown them off if they were? And our password was pretty solid before anyway.
Based on that, I'd personally replace the router as the next step. If you buy something locally like an inexpensive but usually reliable TP-Link Archer 802.11ac router and your problem goes away, great, otherwise return it and no harm, no foul.
niven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:49 PM   #13

I have the exact same issue, usually about once a day. I've spent over 40 hours troubleshooting my network, replacing routers, working with the ISP. Nothing has resolved the issue. But I don't generally have to reboot the router. Just wait a minute or so, and the connection comes back. I have no clue what's causing it.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:00 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Use an app to find the optimum channel. Set your router to that channel.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:15 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I have the same issue on my iPad, my iPhone, and DW's iPhone. Sometimes turning the device's wifi off and then back on will correct it, sometimes not. It has happened with multiple routers in multiple places. I think it is an Apple feature.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:01 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Had similar issue here with iPad and iPhones and kindles in house, with TVs etc, I think we overloaded the 12 yr old router's capacities. Bought a new one (TPLink Archer C7 dual band) and it seems to have solved the drop outs for all devices.
greydog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #17

Do you have a wifi repeater or extender? Could the signal be weak where you are using your iPad? We have two router boosters in the house, at the edges, where the signal would otherwise be weak.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote