DQOTD: Why is PBS Putting Content on YouTube?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
You can now find PBS Newshour in full and in nice segments on YouTube before it appears on PBS Passport or even live where I live in CST. I've Googled to understand why they've done this about face, and found nothing although I assume it's become/expected to be a good revenue stream for PBS - in which case I applaud them, their original mandate no longer applies and they should change how they're funded. I notice you can get Nova, Frontline, PBS Kids, etc. on YouTube now too - but I haven't looked to see if all their programming is there almost in realtime. Not sure why I'd renew our PBS Passport subscription, but I am sure PBS knows that...

Interesting. I guess I’m sticking with my PBS membership which covers the passport. I mostly watch Masterpiece series, and unlikely that’s available from PBS on YouTube, although a lot of it shows up on Amazon Video and sometimes Netflix.

Available on more devices, and more eyeballs, I'd think.

Available on more devices, and more eyeballs, I'd think.
But at what cost to PBS Passport was what I was getting at? Maybe none...

I used to watch Newshour (back when I watched news) for free on the PBS web site. Putting it on YouTube would only bring a larger audience, and some additional revenue.

Basically, if it ain't free, I ain't watching it. It's not that I object to the subscription model in principle, but (1) I can't afford to subscribe to EVERY news outlet, and (2) on some of them, you get ads anyway.

When I do watch news, I'm very careful to understand the motives of the media outlet I'm watching, and to seek differing viewpoints in cases where there's any hint of bias. You simply can't go to multiple paywalled sites without spending a ton of money.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom