Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #41

I personally would look at more factors than just weather. I live in the best weather (some would say) in the country... no humidity... range of temps is pretty much 60-80 midday year round... Obviously that's a plus for me. But I'm here because this is where I grew up and this is where family was. (Parents have passed since I moved back). But once I was here... I was already embedded in the expensive area with high costs.

Since I live in a place that is super expensive... $100k difference doesn't sound like that much... But it's all perspective... and my perspective is that of someone with no mortgage and no plan on cashing out our equity.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since you seem unsure, If I were in your shoes I would rent different places in the winter until you find some place you have no doubt about. I'm not a snow or cold weather kind of person so I've never regretted moving out of the Midwest. Yes, I would and have in the past paid more than $100K to move for better weather (and scenery).

Also, don't forget to factor in appreciation potential. When we moved to California from the South, our home price doubled, but the old house has lost money to inflation and the current house has appreciated at about twice the rate of inflation over the years. So over the long run moving was the the better long term investment, plus there is more to do here and the weather is pleasant most of the year.

Here is one person's view of a pleasant weather chart you might find interesting:
https://kellegous.com/j/2014/02/03/pleasant-places/
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
If it was something we really wanted to do and didn't significantly impact our chances of the lifestyle we planned for then I would certainly do it. The extra $100k is a transfer from investable assets to real estate and won't affect the inheritance you pass onto the heirs.
Good reminder, I know it but I lose sight of it for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
But I suspect that you are not completely sure you want to move.
Sorta. We are sure we're going to move out of the current house. It's whether we stay in this area, or move somewhere warmer with much less snow.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Good point, but we are moving regardless, so the initial out of pocket add would be essentially $100K. DW and I aren't happy with our current house, like you weren't evidently. Either we get a new house where we are, or we get a new house further south.

I'm sure I told you this before. I was born and raised in Chicago and lived there until I was 18 when I left and joined the Navy. That was nearly 40 years ago. My entire family still lives in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs.

I love Chicago and have very fond memories of it. I would never go back to that cold weather. If, by chance, I still lived there and had the opportunity and desire to move like you do, I would never even consider any place where it got cold enough to snow.

I have lived in Jacksonville Florida now for the past 24 years and if I ever decide to move again, I'll go further south.

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
I would never live in Charlotte because of the cold winters (not considering other factors). I wouldn't consider living there escaping winter at all. I think because America is a cold country in much of the country for most of the year, most people fall into making relative comparisons on temperature. A quick check shows over half the year with a low below 50 (5 months with lows below 40) and about half the year with a high below 70.
The winters you can expect in the Carolina's are fairly short, you never have to shovel snow, but you'll need more than a tee shirt.

This post is just to give someone an idea about what the weather here is really like.

My buddy and I walked at lunchtime, scheduled every day, irrespective of the temperature, all year long. This was in our "w*rk clothes", so although the walk was somewhat for exercise, it wasn't strenuous at all.

Even when it was technically winter, I often walked, mid-day, in shirt sleeves. Maybe the night got down to 30F, but by the time noon rolled-around, with a little physical activity, you didn't need a jacket. That's not to say that I didn't wear a jacket sometimes during our walks in December, January, February, but it was probably less than 30% of the time. We'd cancel on days with significant precipitation, but surprisingly, there were very few days where that happened.

Summertime, it's hot and humid. As in, you walk out and you're wet already, and you didn't do any physical activity. A lot of times, zero breeze. So when it came to summer walks, those tended to be shorter because of the heat and humidity.

So for an outdoor person like the OP, there's going to be some long spring and fall months where the temperatures are great for being outdoors. The winters are not that long and not that severe. But unless you've got a water-based activity, being outside in the summer heat and humidity can be brutal. My solution is to ride a bike because with a small energy expenditure, you generate your own breeze.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

The simple answer is Yes, and we did, but there are better choices than NC. I would rather pay extra to live in a nice community than not, and other example of home premium. But Property taxes can be controlled. where we live is a good compromise.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We moved to Cali in 07 (albeit for w*rk). I'd do it again if DD and DGD weren't in the pic now. Texas is not a bad place. Moved here in 99 and again a couple years ago. Good news is we have lots of friends to visit in SoCal pretty much any time of year. NC is a nice place for sure, but I would imagine SC or GA could be a similar experience. Almost moved to N Atlanta burbs and we love northern GA for the outdoors and into the hills pretty quickly or south to the white sands of FL...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #48

Quote:
Somewhere in the Triangle. We've been spoiled living next to (very) large metro areas all our lives, and we're not willing to give that up. Charlotte and the Triangle are probably the only options to us.
I relocated to the Triangle 16 years ago from Washington, D.C. It's no longer the South as traffic is increasingly getting worse and retirees keep coming down here from the Northeast in droves. Since we bought our retirement home a couple of years ago - we are staying.

If I were relocating to NC - I might look at New Bern or Asheville. Asheville is very trendy, but sort of pricey, though.

Michael
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #49

God yes. Weather is very important to me and having spent three months in Chicago during the winter and two months during the summer, I'd really go anywhere else. It's huge to be able to go out during the winter months. I'm in the Bay Area and I'm thinking of getting away from winters there . Go for it.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #50
Gone but not forgotten

Costing out our Florida community.

Up front cost for used 90s.f. (edited to change to 900s.f.) mfg home in a 55+ community $$25k.
Annual rent for lot $7200. Off season cost $80 mo. utilities and lawncare. 1/2 Full time, 1/2 Snowbirds.

Younger community of 325 homes. More activity than one can handle. 53 slip marina, large clubhouse, Billiards, bocce, shuffle, horseshoes, all card games, art, quilting, craft, cooking, computer (etc.) classes. Indoor exercise fitness center, tai chi, spinning classes, daily. Large screened pool, and whirlpool spa. Water exercise classes and pool parties.
Weekly parties during snowbird season, including dance band, dancing, beer, wine and hors d'oerves for about $6/8 person. Many pot lucks, parties for the different clubs, and travel groups, plus the "convertible" club which takes weekly tours every Saturday.

Contrary to many older "parks", the average resident age has stayed low.
Very friendly.

Central Florida 1 hr. drive to Daytona or Homasassa... East and west coast. One hour to Disney, and 35 minutes to the Villages. Much lower cost of living than either the east or west coast, and the humidity in central Florida isn't as wet as the coasts.

100K gets you there for about 8 years and likely to get your home price back when you sell.
Not good if one needs a 2000+s.f. home on a big lot, but it worked for us.

One other thing re; renting... You have to bring your "stuff" back and forth every year. When you own, all the comforts are already there.

Just sayin... there are options. Depends on what one needs.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

Up front cost for used 90s.f. mfg home ...

...Depends on what one needs.
Most of us need more than 90 s.f. - that's taking the "tiny house" movement to a new level!
Old 04-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Most of us need more than 90 s.f. - that's taking the "tiny house" movement to a new level!
My recently enclosed Patio is 150 Sq ft. I can't imagine living in 90 sq ft.

My cat wouldn't even be happy in 90 sq ft.
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #53

The Smokey Mountains, Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Outer Banks are worth the 100K!

Toss in the Saurtown mountains, legal moonshine, 150 vineyards and the 100 state parks and its pretty close to heaven (except the high taxes part).

Took a job to move to the Lake Norman area (exburbs north of Charlotte). One of the best decisions we ever made.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I hear that.

Very true it is comfy indoors anywhere these days. Driving and shoveling snow are manageable, falls are an increasing concern. But most of all we love to be outdoors and be active, and absolutely hate being cooped up for months on end - been there, done that for 24 straight years.
Well here is what someone from West Central MN did, and believe me I know about winter and not being able to go outside. Take a quick look at "wintertime" in southern Utah...We've gone there for about the last 15 winters..good sized metro, a quick drive to Vegas, more outside hiking paths, trails, national and state parks then you can get thru in a lifetime.

St George is the area I'm referring to..for a Jan-March rental with a little bit of looking a 3 bedroom at least 2 bath standalone home or condo, should set you back more then about 6K total. We paid 2K to stay 30 days in a 5 year old 3 bed, 31/2 bath townhome setting on a nationally known golf course.

We come and go as we please with no commitment beyond one rental and best of all no worries about making the wrong decision as to buying and selling homes. Our situation is different then yours my DH still farms and we can't be living full time anywhere but here.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I grew up not far from you in Wisconsin and the weather does suck. I would not go back there even though the COL is cheaper then Northern NV. wE have a mild 4 seasons which I love with tons of sun. Our property taxes are really low but other things are not.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #56

Quote:
We don't live IN Chicago, in the burbs about 50 miles out where all costs are surprisingly low, great schools, yet crime is almost non-existent...and Lake Michigan is a (long) bike ride away.
If you are willing to live THAT far out of the city, then you can find dirt cheap places to live in NC. Even at 25 mi outside of the Triangle or Charlotte. Are you comparing apples to apples?
euro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:30 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdy2go View Post
Chicago winters bleed the life out of people. I was there for a week and a half recently and didn't see the sun for days at a time. If I still lived there I would become a snowbird after mid-October until at least May 1st.
I'm certainly not going to try to 'sell' anyone on places with 4 seasons, but I really don't mind the winters here.

Winters usually are sunny, though we did have a spell of overcast this past one. Generally, the colder the clearer - overcast/fog hold the heat in, and cold air can't hold much moisture. I think I'd do better with winter here than the long overcast periods I hear about in some parts of the Pacific NW.

On the flip side, I hate, hate, hate heat and humidity. You could not pay me enough to move to FL, though that is heaven for many people. We get terrible heat and humidity here, but only for short bursts.

For one thing, you can learn to 'embrace' winter. A winter hike, or cross country skiing can be a lot of fun. So quiet with fresh snow absorbing all the sounds, wildlife peeking out, searching for food. Crisp air, it's exhilarating!

But not everyone's cup of tea (goes better with hot cocoa)!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
The winters you can expect in the Carolina's are fairly short, you never have to shovel snow, but you'll need more than a tee shirt.

This post is just to give someone an idea about what the weather here is really like.

Well, that's not true. The last year I spent in Raleigh we got 20" of snow in one storm, and it sure didn't melt in a day. There were more than a few other snows where it was worth getting the shovel out in the dozen+ years I lived there.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #59
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

What's an extra zero, more or less, between friends.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #60

Quote:
Good point, but we are moving regardless, so the initial out of pocket add would be essentially $100K. DW and I aren't happy with our current house, like you weren't evidently. Either we get a new house where we are for about $350K, or we get the exact same new house further south for $450K.
Adding to my post above, I'll say for 350k, you can get a pretty darn nice place, even in the Triangle, let alone 25 miles out. Of course everything is relative, but unless you are talking 5000sqft McMansion on 5 acres, you will find plenty to choose from in and around the Triangle at that price point
euro is online now   Reply With Quote