Join Early Retirement Today

Dream ER jobs?
Old 05-21-2005, 09:36 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Dream ER jobs?

Will try to ER on 20-25k, but if that doesn't work out (as my folks keep reminding me) been thinking about ER work. But only at something I can be self-motivated at and passionate about! Thinking about jobs one would rarely get offered, or be able to afford to live off (pre ER)

What are peoples dream ER jobs? A few of mine are :-

1. F1 racing - perhaps software engineer for a b or c or d team, get to see more of the world for free maybe . . .

2. Compose Music for TV or Film. Ads if necessary but will use discretion.

3. Write scripts for TV and Film including on-Set work like props camerawork & editing etc

4. Inventions. Attempt to invent useful stuff. First take a few courses to boost creativity, then brainstorm ideas on a daily basis.

5. NASA. Working on Mars probes or SETI for instance

6. Search for proof of an afterlife . . .

. . . ideas get even crazier after that, so I'll just stop here
1.Convert Euro assets to US$ now or not?<br />2.Tax haven work, anyone ventured?<br />3.ER income from Real-Estate or Equities?<br />4.ER to Canada or US?<br />5.Lifesavings secure in Funds after Worldcon/Enrot/Equitable Life?<br />6.House price correction risk as rates go up?<br />7.Prop arbitrage i.e. CA &gt; 20% IL&lt;8%?
ER@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Dream ER jobs?
Old 05-21-2005, 10:51 PM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

How about joining the Peace Corps -- paid travel, posting in a different culture for two years, all expenses paid, a small retirement fund, all medical and dental. And while you are living this all expenses paid journey, your assets here are appreciating for two years untouched! Of course, not to mention the good feeling of possibly helping others and learning a lot about yourself.

If two years is too long, the Peace Corps has a Crisis Corps option -- 3 to 6 months in a country where there has been an emergency [e.g., the Carribean after the hurricane; Thailand after the tsunami...]

I was a volunteer in the 70's; first in India, then in Afghanistan. The experiences of my life. I trekked in Nepal and was passed on a mountain path by an older man. He turned out to be a Peace Corps volunteer who had just retired from the U.S. Forest Service. He was having the time of his life. From then on, I always promised myself to think about re-upping when I retire. I'm about 3 years away and am eager with anticipation.

Be active, challenge yourself, do some good!!
rcsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsj
How about joining the Peace Corps -- paid travel, posting in a different culture for two years, all expenses paid, a small retirement fund, all medical and dental
Thought provoking and relevant. But didn't include it on the list on purpose. Used to have some attention grabbing pals who never failed to blow their own trumpets about their Mother Theresa like deeds saving the planet and all . . for years after the fact.

If I do it, its something that I'd just like to do . . get with it and quietly. I have a ways to go yet, certainly 5 years anyway. But I would like to find out more in the meantime. Have you any useful links to hand?

You could also start on new thread on this perhaps?
Haven’t seen many similar related threads.
You could tell us about your experiences?* Good and bad do's and don'ts etc. I fully admit I amn't the least brave, would fear working in a civil war zone for instance, so would like to know more upfront . . .* What type of projects did you work on?
1.Convert Euro assets to US$ now or not?<br />2.Tax haven work, anyone ventured?<br />3.ER income from Real-Estate or Equities?<br />4.ER to Canada or US?<br />5.Lifesavings secure in Funds after Worldcon/Enrot/Equitable Life?<br />6.House price correction risk as rates go up?<br />7.Prop arbitrage i.e. CA &gt; 20% IL&lt;8%?
Old 05-22-2005, 01:11 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER@40
6. Search for proof of an afterlife . . .
Yeah, that would keep you busy for a really long time. But it doesn't it pay very well, and if you find proof, then there's no reason to ER -- you can just goof off in the next life.

One of the best jobs I ever had was as a software weenie working for a university-affiliated research institute in San Diego. Steps to the beach, fantastic people (including a few nobel laureats, FWIW), very flexible hours, interesting projects, near-complete autonomy. If I had to go back to work, I might pick something like that.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:03 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Once DH leaves federal service, we will have guaranteed health benefits and a small pension, and I look forward to getting back to some of the jobs I had in my early 20s, when I was having the time of my life= low stress, lots of time with a great group of friends:

- work in an independent bookstore part-time
- cook in a small, local restaurant/ bakery- place that serves healthy, fresh food in a creative atmosphere
- work at the YMCA or local health club teaching low-impact exercise classes for older folks, or volunteer to start such classes at a local church
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:24 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

My favorite job that I ever had in my twenties was working in a video store! This was in the days before Blockbuster and the Internet providing all kinds of movie reviews etc. So my "job" was to watch as many movies as possible (for free) so we could help the customers pick out a movie that they would like (and try to get them to rent as many as possible).

The store sold the latest and greatest TV technology so we watched music videos and movies while we were working. The people that came into the store where usually movie "nuts" or AV early adaptors.

Think the guy sold out his chain to Blockbuster when they came to town. It was fun while it lasted.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:41 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER@40
ER work.
Oxymoronic.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:40 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Oxymoronic.*
Fair point Nords!
By the post I meant part time hobbies that can also serve as income making jobs in ER. After all one still has to keep busy in ER somehow, and keep using the brain muscle otherwise it starts to slow down, and that’s not a good thing.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:50 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My dream ER job is the one I'm doing right now! Sitting under the gazebo, drinking a cold iced green tea, pondering a trip into my cheesy intex inflatable pool, tapping out consumer complaints about general electric to every single radio and television station, government agency, or consumer complaint outfit I can find. And there are sooo many!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:21 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by You dont know me
My dream ER job is the one I'm doing right now!* Sitting under the gazebo, drinking a cold iced green tea, pondering a trip into my cheesy intex inflatable pool, tapping out consumer complaints about general electric to every single radio and television station, government agency, or consumer complaint outfit I can find.* And there are sooo many!
Sounds like honorable time spent. Had always hoped the internet would bring more consumer savvy forum and product rating websites, praising the good corps and products and nailing the crappy ones. Sure, there's a few fragmented ones out there, but hardly anything with broad coverage. It would be useful for ongoing topics like the 'Cell phone' thread for example . . .
Old 05-23-2005, 05:29 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Theres enough stuff if you know where to look.

This is a good thread for typical problems...
http://www.fatwallet.com/t/24/314746/

What surprises me (or maybe not) is how lousy customer service is, coupled with how easy it is to tell a million people what the company did to you. It was one thing to do something like that 10 years ago...these days...not a good idea.

But then again, we're in the midst of "cost cutting" where we'd rather give bad service than spend a dollar.

The tough part is in addition to a new refrigerator, I also just installed a new dishwasher and just a few days ago, a new stove. Neither purchased from the evil GE empire. And I wont buy anything from them again. Ever.

Now Intex/sand n' sun pools are a different story!

If you have a flat spot, temperate summer temps, and want a cheap play pool, get one of these. They surpassed my wildest expectations. The dogs jump on and in them, without putting a ding in them, they're solid, easy to set up, cheap to buy, cheap to run. We've had the 15', my old 10' and I just put in a little 8' that looks more or less like a hot-tub dimensionally. $48 at Wal-mart including the filter.

The wife has just declared that the water has now reached a suitable temperature for her, due to our 90+ degree weather the past few days. She says she's getting in. I dont see a bathing suit.

See you all tomorrow...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:04 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by You dont know me
Theres enough stuff if you know where to look.

This is a good thread for typical problems...
http://www.fatwallet.com/t/24/314746/
Good to know, thanks.
Ireland is small enough that any outrageous service gets named and shamed, starts with being talked and mocked about on local radio, and sometimes even makes prime time news. It has a real impact, and the companies are forced to come about face fast to address it.

Wish we had more of that in the states even if corporations like GE own entire networks.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:26 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, what about bartender at a strip club?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:46 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Ever seen those girls in broad daylight? :P
Old 05-24-2005, 01:48 PM   #15

That Peace Corps gig sounds workable. If I had been healthy I could* have gone that way 9 yrs ago.

I agree "job" is an oxymoron but "The thing we would gladly do if we could for big money, small money,* or no money" is too long a title. So we'll just idiomaticize the term "job" here.

Singer! Always wanted to be a opera singer but give me the Tux and the mike and the big band at* Caesar's Palace , and I'll do that too. A few CD's... Leno, Letterman et al. Maybe guest host SNL once.

Two maybe 3 yrs then...poof! I wouldn't mind being the Bobby Rydell or Fabian of my generation. Nice work if you can get it, and lots of money for just singing the same dozen or so songs over and over again.

And then there's royalties. Twenty yrs from now I'll still be getting paid because somebody will* be buying my old CDs, or* my tracks will be on a late night infomercial of "Greatest Hits of the First Decade of the 21st* Century!"* "Mediterranean Love Songs" whatever. Money for nuthin'. Shoulda learned to play gui--tar
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:51 PM   #16

I just did a research marketting focus group today. It paid $225 for 2 hours. I took an enjoyable 40 minute bike ride to their offices and spent 2 hours discussing IT related issues with others. I would love to do one a week but these will dry out over the next few months since I have been laid off (retired).
I wouldn't mind doing non IT related focus groups as well. These pay a lot less but it's still nice pocket money if you are not doing anything special. Coincidentally, I did get a call today from another agency do to focus group on a new hair product. I was surprised that it would pay $175. Unfortunately, I shave my head.
Oh well. Forgive me, I am still unemployed

Old 05-24-2005, 07:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
I just did a research marketting focus group today.
So how does a young lad wind up getting calls to participate in focus groups?
Old 05-24-2005, 08:28 PM   #18

Quote:
So how does a young lad wind up getting calls to participate in focus groups
Yes. Let's use this occasion to "network" as FIRE's, or what's chat-forum for?
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:10 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
I did get a call today from another agency do to focus group on a new hair product. I was surprised that it would pay $175. Unfortunately, I shave my head.
Then you would be a perfect candidate for the "control group"...
Old 05-25-2005, 11:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter76
So how does a young lad wind up getting calls to participate in focus groups?
You can search googles for either focus groups or market research but I believe most facilities will be found in the larger metropolitan areas.
To get the bigger bucks, it does help if you happen to be a technology or accounting manager. 99% of the groups I participated were in technology.

I plan to explore more of non-IT related focus groups. Hey, if I can earn $100 to $150 a week for a couple hours of my time discussing liquor brands, buying a car or how to invest, why not. I'm not a ER purest. Not yet anyway.

PU