Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-04-2016, 12:32 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I worked as a contractor at various places, some allowed jeans, shorts, tanktops, flipflops, etc.
I always wore docker pants , dress shirt (short or longsleeve) and dress shoes.
Once an owner told me I could wear shorts thinking I didn't know of the "benefit" of working there.
He didn't know I preferred the benefit of looking more professional

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Right after I got fired and the new regime took over, they implemented a strict dress code. Ties, collared shirts, dress slacks and dress shoes every day (coat optional unless you were going to a meeting).

I'm glad I got fired just in time. No way I'd want to put a tie on every day, especially those days when I'm mucking it through the mud or climbing through ditches, crawling underneath stuff or standing in the sun in 95 degree weather.

The new boss got fired after a few months and I think the dress code reverted to semi-professional office attire (more relaxed for those who are in the field occasionally).

Old 07-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #23

We had a dress code in our engineering office. No jeans, collared shirts. Field people could wear jeans, t shirts, and shorts in the summer. Although I was in the office, I wore jeans most of the time due to the frequent field visits I made. I don't remember anyone being told that we had a dress code. I don't think it was written anywhere. New hires seemed to just dress like everyone else to be safe.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #24

I worked at two fortune 10 Mega corps in my career. Mega corp 1 allowed jeans and collared T shirts but there was a lot of field work involved there. When I started at Mega corp 2, it was coat and tie for most everyone that worked in the office environment. After about 10 years at Mega corp 2, they relaxed the policy to allow business casual but managers over a certain level were still expected to wear a coat and tie. By the time I retired even most managers were going business casual company wide, unless they worked at the corporate HQ or were meeting with an outside company.

I could absolutely "sense" a change in the level of professionalism as the dress codes changed. We still got the work done but not as many "stuffed shirts"
Old 07-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #25

One of the accounts I serviced, in Toronto, in the late 1970s, was the head office of Denison Mines - the president, since deceased, was a real stickler for dress codes - no pant suits for women, and suits for men. The guys were permitted to remove their jackets while sitting at their desks, (and drape the jackets over their chairs), but if they were to get up from their desks for any reason the jacket had to go back on.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
They can certainly fire you, but the expense of a lawsuit would be high if it was taken pro-bono by a pro-employee lawyer.

Of course, the government and military can do what they want, they are exempt from many laws.

An employer would be hard pressed to explain how a pair of shorts or jeans was a problem, but a women's dress above the knees was OK. A pair of men's sandals was not OK, but a woman's open toe shoe was OK. Or that some forms of religious clothing was better than a pair of jeans. Or a woman's sleeveless shirt was OK, but my sleeveless shirt was not.'

Just because a piece of clothing is denim, doesn't make it bad.
I don't think so. Usually when you accept a job you sign papers, many papers, and some of them state you will follow the rules of the company. Not following them can be grounds for dismissal. Clothes, internet use, personal phone calls, many many things. Sure, you can bring a lawsuit. Anybody can sue anyone for anything. It takes no particular knowledge or skill. But try to find a job after that. Of course, then you can sue the company that doesn't hire you. Maybe good training for a career as a patent troll. And of course, most megacorps have legions of lawyers sitting around just waiting for something to do. Responding to silly lawsuits with reams of paper to overwhelm said pro-bono crusader is what passes for a good time for them.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:56 PM   #27

I have rarely worked in megacorp with a formal dress code, but everywhere I have worked did have at least an unstated dress code. Sales always wore "business" attire such as suits, ties or suitable dresses/suits. Service was usually khakis and collar shirts. East coast managers wore suits. West coast managers wore not-suits, usually some kind of business casual. Technical staff was jeans or worse. At one point it became a show of technical prowess how poorly engineers could dress, presumably an engineer must be very good indeed to wear what they wore, until the CEO finally drew the line at ragged shorts, flip flops and ripped t-shirts.

None of these places would have tolerated an intern petitioning for change, in dress code, or any other aspect of work. They would have been immediately let go, and made into a cautionary tale for future interns.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

In the healthcare industry things are usually fairly conservative, and many staff wear uniforms. I once hired a Gen X data analyst (not required to interact directly with patients, but visible around the hospital) who interviewed in a suit but began showing up for work with a bare midriff showing a belly button with jewelry in it. The dress code was pretty vague (I don't think they anticipated belly buttons) and she didn't see that there was a problem, but she complied with my request for more modest dress on the grounds that many of our patients and staff would see her attire as unprofessional and disrespectful. Unfortunately, her liberal attitude extended to her work, and after many attempts to help her improve her performance, I let her go at the end of her probation period.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:14 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
The interns forgot the basic rule of "make yourself valuable first, before you make waves."
Amen!!

Most new hires at my company are on probation for 9 months and all of us where "at will" employees. Yes, if we had a bunch of interns who immediately came in and started "grumbling" about something as inane as what to wear, we would have let them go.

I read the article and what I can't understand is that the letter writer says she felt the dress code was strict when she got the internship. well if you thought it was strict going in why did you take the internship?
Old 07-04-2016, 08:20 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I don't think so. Usually when you accept a job you sign papers, many papers, and some of them state you will follow the rules of the company. Not following them can be grounds for dismissal. Clothes, internet use, personal phone calls, many many things. Sure, you can bring a lawsuit. Anybody can sue anyone for anything. It takes no particular knowledge or skill. But try to find a job after that. Of course, then you can sue the company that doesn't hire you. Maybe good training for a career as a patent troll. And of course, most megacorps have legions of lawyers sitting around just waiting for something to do. Responding to silly lawsuits with reams of paper to overwhelm said pro-bono crusader is what passes for a good time for them.
+100
lol, I personally know of two young women who sued my mega corporation. One, I am fairly good friends with . she sued for unjust firing also. first of all it took her 4 years to finally "win", and all those stories of mega awards are grossly over estimated, the judge awarded her a lousy 2 years salary and by the time she was finished with lawyer fees and a few other bills she wishes she had simply just quit. Not to mention the emotional toll it took.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
In the healthcare industry things are usually fairly conservative, and many staff wear uniforms. I once hired a Gen X data analyst (not required to interact directly with patients, but visible around the hospital) who interviewed in a suit but began showing up for work with a bare midriff showing a belly button with jewelry in it. The dress code was pretty vague (I don't think they anticipated belly buttons) and she didn't see that there was a problem, but she complied with my request for more modest dress on the grounds that many of our patients and staff would see her attire as unprofessional and disrespectful. Unfortunately, her liberal attitude extended to her work, and after many attempts to help her improve her performance, I let her go at the end of her probation period.
My last job was at a hospital. They have a strict dress code and promote covering up for the young'uns by keeping the office air freezing cold. Not enough of a deterrent. Once I saw a coworker walking down the hall in a bra. Double-take. Nope - bra under a sheer, flesh-colored, long sleeve blouse. Then I was talking to another worker about how we did not envy her male manager. What an awkward conversation to have to have.

At my first corporate programming job the women had to wear dresses and nylons. There was one manager who would walk around and inspect people's legs in the summer for nylon compliance. Not sure if he was assigned this task or just liked it.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:34 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

The bulk of my career was in aerospace. In the late 70s when I started working, there was no strict dress code. I myself never wore jeans (my wife bought me my first jeans 10 years ago, and I wore it rarely), but I think others did with no problems. Besides managers, the workers did not wear jackets or ties, except when we had a meeting with outside visitors.

I left aerospace business for a few years. When I came back in the early 2000s as consultant, I was surprised to see people not wearing jackets and ties to meetings anymore. Even the visitors did not, and the same happened when we visited vendors or customers. It had to be a very high level meeting for people to dress more formally. No jeans to meetings though.

The above said, t-shirts were frowned upon, and shorts and flip-flops were big nonos. One time, on a casual Friday, a clerical girl baring midriff elicited comments that she looked like a streetwalker soliciting. Don't know if her manager talked to her, but she did that only once.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #33

I know of one mega dutch-owned oil company that has no dress code, in the US anyway

alternatively, one of my late friends had to wear a dress hat to work when he started at Baker Botts in the 70s
Old 07-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #34

Speaking of dress codes...does anyone else find it odd that NBA coaches wear jackets and ties? I always wondered why that was...you are a coach. Granted, you lead an organization that is worth MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of dollars..but..you are a coach. Why the suit?
Old 07-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Speaking of dress codes...does anyone else find it odd that NBA coaches wear jackets and ties? I always wondered why that was...you are a coach. Granted, you lead an organization that is worth MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of dollars..but..you are a coach. Why the suit?
tradition; every male basketball coach I've seen, college or higher wears a suit

that's why we yell "sit down bus driver!"
Old 07-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
tradition; every male basketball coach I've seen, college or higher wears a suit

that's why we yell "sit down bus driver!"
Interesting. Speaking of sports traditions, I am slightly annoyed that baseball players don't "blouse" their pants anymore (well, most of them don't). They look like a bunch of bums out there in their pajamas.

And yes...even though I am just 42...I still yell, "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nyjersocks.JPG (37.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
NHL coaches also ware jackets and ties, what I find more absurd is baseball managers in full baseball uniforms.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
NHL coaches also ware jackets and ties, what I find more absurd is baseball managers in full baseball uniforms.
have you ever seen anyone in the dugout without a uniform?
Old 07-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #39

Quote:
I haven't, but our grandparents may have seen this hall-of-famer:

Connie Mack

Granted, a bit dated--and he was even then noted for his apparel.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #40

Quote:
A bit before my time but Connie Mack comes to mind.